[SOON , A TITLE HERE ]

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Dec 8, 2011.

1. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

even your dad couldn't afford pants that were long enough!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

What !? That's all you have to say ? Do you have any idea how many days hours is spent on compiling that stuff ?!

Shame on you sir, shame on you.

And what would Dennis Hopper* think !

* participated in the Fall 1991 show I believe

3. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Thanks for the CdG sipang. That actually is impressive. Wish I actually used to collect magazines so I could do something similar for the Yohji thread.

Why don't fashion houses do campaigns like this any more? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

4. sipang

sipang Senior member

Just to be clear, none of those pics are mine :D, I merely dug the internet for pics (with acceptable resolution), shamelessly lifted the URLs (thanks to all the original uploaders, btw), cross-checked dates and whatnot and referenced art directors/artists when I knew them or managed to find some info. I probably missed a lot of them though, entire websites, image hosting services have been shut down, lots of 404s etc... Magazines would be nice, all that pre-digital era stuff is quasi nonexistent, only mentionned in passing or to lament its virtual absence, I guess it makes sense but it's kinda weird too, we're so used to find everything and anything in one click.

I don't really know about the campaigns, suprisingly I couldn't find any recent CdG ads, mostly CdG shirt, or maybe I didn't look in the right place either... In any case I find the evolution pretty interesting, I personally have a soft spot for the later 80s early 90s stuff but that's not surprising...

5. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:
    The internet actually kinda sucks for fashion. It's kinda ridiculous to me that it's nearly impossible to find high-resolution pictures from most runway shows, even as recently as this year.

6. sipang

sipang Senior member

Most fahion magazines websites actually have high res pics (zoom option etc) but you often have to do some URL magic to get them, there's also a bunch of paying websites that I'm sure have better quality pictures too (anyone ?). If you're looking for pre-2000 stuff though, you're more often than not out of luck although you can still manage to find things disseminated in various places, pre-95 stuff is nearly impossible to find and pre-1990 is just nonexistent except for some random scan or 160x160 pic.

7. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah from what I have seen, the older stuff is also way more interesting. I know a few people that collect fashion magazines and have collections going all the way back to the early 80s so next time I am in the UK or Europe will be doing some raiding of their stashes for interesting images.

Such a shame that the magazines themselves don't seem to be interested in making a readily available digital archive for this stuff. One day it will all vanish and while that in itself appeals to me in a zen transience kind of way, it makes me wonder whether it can be transient at all if I have never experienced it.

I was (am) ready to pay for a WWD subscription for easy access to high res images and video of various collections, but they don't accept cards from Nigeria :fu:

8. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

9. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

Cyber Monsoon
    A torrential monsoon rain in Bhaktapur

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

10. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

No mentions of Pather Panchali yet? Such a great movie. A little about it: I have a dream of one day traveling for a few months with my wife around the Indian subcontinent, up through Nepal into Tibet. Here is my imaginary travel wardrobe: [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

11. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

^ that looks fantastic !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Exercise where self-edition is approached using the materials and resources at hand.
    Located in the natural context of a young designer willing to produce a fully operative piece by his own means.

Part of the Copper Fiend series.

Materials: copper tube and fittings, paper
    Process: tin silver solder
    State: one-off, completed
    Client: self-promoted​

12. pickpackpockpuck

It's Alexander McQueen F/W 2008. Maybe my favorite collection of his. Goodbye, sir.

[​IMG]

13. sipang

sipang Senior member

Well there's the Vogue archive but it's $$$$, from what I understand WWD only goes back as far as 1994 :confused:

14. pickpackpockpuck

Some Gerhard Richter for you in honor of the retrospective in Berlin and the artist's upcoming 80th birthday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

15. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Philipe Ramette's gravity defying photo series. via where they talk a little bit about his process (no photo manipulation) and you can see a few more images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]