SonyStyle for StyleForum

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by dkzzzz, Sep 29, 2006.

1. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Sony Book Reader is available for October delivery.
    I think it is very convenient device for commuters and book lovers.
    The screen is paper technology (not a PDA).
    Finally accepts open source files.
    Very long battery. actually device does not use battery until you turn the page.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...pdr&Dept=audio

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

Looks promising, but I wouldn't buy it for pleasure reading. For me, a part of the pleasure comes from flipping the pages manually. Also, there's an organic feeling to reading from a book that these will never duplicate. With that said, I wouldn't mind reading my 1700 pages Constitutional Law book from this. I'd buy it if I could also buy all my law books in digital format. Four weeks into school and my back is already starting to give me problems from these heavy books. Review: http://www.tabletpcreview.com/?newsID=365

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    That's a pretty cool toy. But like DNW, I don't see myself using it. When I got my first notebook computer (Mac PB 170!!!) I received several ebooks free. I loaded one and tried to read a "book" on a MSP to LAX flight, and tired quickly of the exercise. I'm certain the technology is improved greatly from those dark ages, but I like the feel of the pages. And I can't quite envision myself taking the Book Reader to the throne room. [​IMG]

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

"Paper technology" is a stupid, completely inaccurate marketing term. It's like saying that a warm polyester jacket is made with "cashmere technology". Actually it's worse, but you get the point.

5. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

"Paper technology" is a stupid, completely inaccurate marketing term. It's like saying that a warm polyester jacket is made with "cashmere technology". Actually it's worse, but you get the point.

I saw it and it does look exactly like paper and ink print. Most people when they see E-Paper display ask if the rep. has working prototype for demonstration. They think they are looking at a mock up device with some paper inset instead of real screen.
    Hope I eased your fervor and anger.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I saw it and it does look exactly like paper and ink print. Most people when they see E-Paper display ask if the rep. has working prototype for demonstration. They think they are looking at a mock up device with some paper inset instead of real screen.
    Hope I eased your fervor and anger.

I have no anger, nor fervor for this product. It's just a stupid and misleading term. The fact that it looks like paper doesn't make it paper. Try smoking a Magritte painting, you'll get the idea.

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I have no anger, nor fervor for this product. It's just a stupid and misleading term. The fact that it looks like paper doesn't make it paper. Try smoking a Magritte painting, you'll get the idea.

I find that Joan Miro's paintings get you much, much higher...
    [​IMG]

8. sonick

sonick Senior member

They should stop using the term email then.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Balthus gets people high:

[​IMG]

10. kronik

kronik Senior member

Balthus gets people high:

[​IMG]

Erm. Wow.