• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sony NEX-3 / NEX-5

blofeld

Reaction score
Anyone own either of these cameras? I had a play with them this weekend, loved it, and am about to place an order. Any reason not to pay the extra $100 for the metal body and HD video? Any words of warning?
NEX-3-550x300.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
should have known, thanks

No worries - it's not the intuitive place to look.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own either of these cameras? I had a play with them this weekend, loved it, and am about to place an order. Any reason not to pay the extra $100 for the metal body and HD video? Any words of warning?

NEX-3-550x300.jpg

it has great image quality and crazy fast bracket (continuous 8 shots in like 2 seconds) shooting. its perfect for the Point and Shoot with intelligent auto crowd.

its cumbersome if you're of the "i love/only shooting fully manual" crowd though.

definitely something to get if you want to shoot kids running around with no effort. the images will be a lot lot better than regular point and shoots.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one (NEX-5) definitely prefer metal body. Weight is not an issue for me since I never planned to use it with super-light factory lens. Factory 16mm is mediocre at best. Sony announced more lenses in a pipeline. Meanwhile I invested in MC/MD-NEX adapter ($32.00 Ebay) and two manual lenses from Minolta (who else)MC ROKKOR 50mm F 1.4 ($65.00 KEH.com)and MC ROKKOR 24mm F 2.8($135.00 Ebay).
Operate it in M mode for low light and A for day time. Turn shutter ON without lens feture, as well as Focus assist. Anti blur also works with manual lenses.
It is a blast for dark scenes, which are impossible with P&S cameras.
P.S. I don't need flash with Nex-5 ever, although it comes with the camera .

Brian SD

Reaction score
If you're interested in this, you should also check out the Micro 4:3 camera from Panasonic and compare them. I did, and went with the Panasonic in the end for the low-light performance and ultra-fast AFS - both were great though.

Just keep in mind there are options around the same price and right now the three major ones : Sony NEX, Pana Lumix GF-1, and Olympus Pen are all excellent little P&Ss.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
These two cameras made me so damn mad. It's like a really big P&S that substitutes a fancy menu system for any sort of useful controls. Excuse me while I go back to combing my neckbeard.

You really need to update your blog. Or expand it to include cameras other than 4:3 sensors.

blofeld

Reaction score
These two cameras made me so damn mad. It's like a really big P&S that substitutes a fancy menu system for any sort of useful controls. Excuse me while I go back to combing my neckbeard.

bummer, just ordered it.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bummer, just ordered it.

well just use it as a simple P&S and it will still reward you with its bigger sensor and nice lenses. plus if you're shooting kids or moving subjects you can just bracket shoot the hell out of it (successive shots) and get a good shot from the pile.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
You really need to update your blog. Or expand it to include cameras other than 4:3 sensors.
Yeah, so busy recently. Some exciting news from me coming soon though ....
bummer, just ordered it.
Well, enjoy it in good health. It does produce excellent pictures, after all. You mentioned earlier you liked the interface so it may suit you much better than it suited me.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so busy recently. Some exciting news from me coming soon though ....

Cool - looking forward to your thoughts on the Fujifilm X100

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Cool - looking forward to your thoughts on the Fujifilm X100

It looks so, so, so, so, so, so nice. Where is the dribble icon when you need it.

The S95 and the LX5 are both pretty nice, too. The Samsung NX10 was a little on the disappointing side. I can't imagine Canon and Nikon are not going to make something "big sensor / small body" sooner or later, though.

Fuji are so crazy. They come up with some amazing cameras and tech, hobble it with crappy controls, make the interface in Microsoft Paint and then give away their good sensors to security camera makers. Then, they make an X100.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads