• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sons of well dressed fathers?

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
I think we will all agree that sf is a large collection of extraordinarily well dressed men, and was curious how many people caught this fever from their fathers.

Personally, when I was much younger my father would dress me in suits and penny loafers for school, and while he no longer dressed like that always encouraged my interest in it. As I got older he handed me down some sf worthy shoes and suits, some shoes that are still worn, the suits unfortunately grown out of. While I have went much deeper into the intricacies of menswear, it was there that I got set on the right path. How many others out there inherited their interest and base fashion knowledge from their fathers?

I am most interested because I have absolutely no idea which way the poll will turn out. I believe a large part of the community here has such a deep knowledge and understanding that it was necessary to seek out a large amount of it themselves; so it may be surprising how many are totally self taught.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, for one have. He was (and still is) always sharp and bespoked up. And my 8 yo asks me on Sundays, "dad, which pocket square should I wear today, this or this?"
smile.gif

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
I will also say that this knowledge is something I greatly look forward to passing on, assuming he (or she) is the least bit interested. I am still surprised at how much my father knows, since for most of my life he has insisted on wearing jeans and t shirts despite my attempts to bring him back to the dark side. Recently I told him how i had switched out a sc's buttons for horn ones, ready to explain the difference, to which he responded, "Ahh, like the toggle button's material on duffle coats". A great asset.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i almost fell out of my chair laughing when i read this post, my father who i love dearly is the polar opposite of me when it comes to clothes. i think i got the bug from my mother and her side of the family

bing

Reaction score
definitely not... my dad has one grey suit from the 70's that he wears whenever a suit is required, which is not often for him.

The rest of his wardrobe is my old t-shirts.

I had searched for but did not find a pics of our well-dressed children thread though... seems slightly on-topic here. Shall we start one?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God no. My dad thinks anything over $150 spent on a suit is a waste of money.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
God no. My dad thinks anything over $150 spent on a suit is a waste of money.

he almost killed me in high school when i bought a tie for 60 bucks if he knew what i spent on my suits he might faint

Sazerac

Reaction score
For me it was my mother, who worked as a costume designer. I've been wearing the stage version of bespoke (no lining, looks good on the outside but like hell on the inside) since I was eight or nine.

When I needed a tuxedo for prom, she pulled out this Victorian velvet frock coat she she had made for an Ibsen play. It was far from "correct" black tie, but with a wing collar shirt it looked quite dashing. Of course, the gawky sixteen year old wearing it still looked like a gawky sixteen year old.

In later years she would rebuild whole suits for me that were salvaged from some thrift store. I'll never forget the enormous cashmere overcoat from the 30's or 40's (in midnight blue, no less) that she recut for me as a going-off-to-college present.

Love that woman.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
Now that is absolutely invaluable^.

Originally Posted by bing
definitely not... my dad has one grey suit from the 70's that he wears whenever a suit is required, which is not often for him.

The rest of his wardrobe is my old t-shirts.

I had searched for but did not find a pics of our well-dressed children thread though... seems slightly on-topic here. Shall we start one?

I say feel free to post them here. Possibly less creepy than a whole thread devoted to children.
biggrin.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bing

Let's not.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. When my father was working he was very well dressed in the modern Italian OTR sense for that period (brioni, armani, etc.). He didn't know anything about classic men's style and tended to buy the most expensive items that were in style. For example he changed his entire collection of ties almost yearly. Lately he has expresses a lot of admiration for my style and tailoring in particular. He had suggested that we should have some suits made together so that he can draw from some of my influences. Pretty cool how it almost comes full circle. Clothing has always been one of the few things we have bonded over through the years.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
It's quite the opposite with my father and I, in both senses. I have had a positive influence on his manner of dress. We just bought him his first suit EVER for my sisters wedding. He's 55. Up until now, his idea of "dressing up" was track pants, black running shoes, and a sweater. He's a gym teacher.

Mac

Reaction score
Confession time: I'm seventeen years old.

The first time I ever wore a suit was at a '50s themed party and it was 'obligatory'. Since my dad and I are roughly the same size (6'4" and 36" waist) I asked to borrow one of his suits. He gave me an old Hugo Boss suit and said: "This was when Hugo Boss made good suits, now they're crap." It was a three piece, three button that didn't fit very well, but nonetheless I loved the smartness of wearing it.

A year or so on, I buy my suits from Chester Barrie and whenever there's any type of party people expect me to be the only one wearing a suit - my friends are soon catching on but are still making deplorable attempts with suits that are too big etc. Now I spend $40-$50 on Tom Ford pocket squares and $100+ on shirts. My dad thinks I'm insane.

And before any reciprocal remarks: no, I'm not a spoilt child - I run my own business. So while I got my first suit from my father, I would conclude that my main style influences are James Bond, Chuck Bass and of course, Spoo. Am I the son of a well dressed father? Perhaps.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting for the inevitable "Vox (or Manton) is my Daddy!" post.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads