• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

Kangnamstyles

Reaction score
Glad you like them J.! It is completely different than calf and shell. I'd recommend brushing the leather now and then, and when needed replenishing the leather with some natural oil (which will also darken the leather substantially). You might also see some extra small spots or flakes appearing in the beginning, but that's nothing to worry about. I hope you will get a lot of joy from wearing these shoes!
Thanks for the tips Tom, you anticipated my question. I'm assuming that because it's waxed leather, it should handle rain without having to use Saphir invluner? Going to start wearing them today!

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Kangnamstyles : straight out of the box, I wouldn't do too much to the leather. The leather will naturally age, and water won't damage it but it will affect the way it looks.

You should take good care of the area between the leather welt and upper though, but that's true for any shoe. It is the most vulnerably area of the shoe, as any moisture that creeps in there will go directly to the welt stitch. See the below picture from Kirby Allisson @hangerproject:

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 15.49.17.png

Kangnamstyles

Reaction score
@Kangnamstyles : straight out of the box, I wouldn't do too much to the leather. The leather will naturally age, and water won't damage it but it will affect the way it looks.

You should take good care of the area between the leather welt and upper though, but that's true for any shoe. It is the most vulnerably area of the shoe, as any moisture that creeps in there will go directly to the welt stitch. See the below picture from Kirby Allisson @hangerproject:

View attachment 1277770
Yeah that makes sense. Thanks!

bryanljs

Reaction score
Wow, @Notch this is the jewel of the FW19 collection!!!
I strongly demand more photos and outdoor photos, too.

Double leather sole, storm welt, not enough only brass eyelets. It's a classic, it's really timeless.
I have a question, why almost all shoes without a midsole?

I actually wore my Chelsea out today and the lack of midsole is not an issue for me. I can feel my foot "almost touching" the ground but overall, the shoe is a lot lighter, compared to my other shoes.

Vadim T

Reaction score
@Notch
Seam with more frequent stitch pitch? Or am I wrong?
I understand correctly that a seam with a more frequent step can only be done on a leather sole?
Tell me please, such details as in the photo (I do not know how it is called in English) strongly affect the final price?
Personally, I'm willing to pay more if the shoes will be with such parts.
Безымянный.jpg

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Vadim T : you're getting real technical there! The stitch pitch is something that I leave to the factory. Aesthetically, there is not much difference between a narrow pitch, and very narrow pitch. Only when you compare it with the much larger pitches on cheaper brands will you notice a real difference IMHO.

What you show in the picture is a regularly finished leather edge, where the leather is cut and sewn to the lining, with a small rib (leather piping) in between. The other way to finish the edge is to skive it down, fold it, and then sew it together with the lining. There is no difference in price as far as I know, it's only aesthetics. The second option is more difficult I'd say, and uses more leather, but doesn't use the piping. I am slowly progressing to the second option on all SoH models (I think most of them have it now), but this is a personal choice.

(PS: there is probably a third option too, where the leather is cut, and stitched without folding it and without piping to the lining leather, but that is something I don't do).

Proleet

Reaction score
Thank you for posting the pictures, wear the boots in good health!

Thank you for posting! I agree, the leather is very unique. Wear in good health!

Glad you like them J.! It is completely different than calf and shell. I'd recommend brushing the leather now and then, and when needed replenishing the leather with some natural oil (which will also darken the leather substantially). You might also see some extra small spots or flakes appearing in the beginning, but that's nothing to worry about. I hope you will get a lot of joy from wearing these shoes!

It is cool to see how the boots ended up. When you purhase the leather, the stuffing is so dense you can't see the imperfections. It is only by pulling the leather overt he last that they become visible.

Tell me about it! What was interesting to see also, is how different people bought in the pop-up and on the Internet. I sold a lot of the mink suede STD's in the pop-up for example, but on the Internet it's a slow selling model....
one thing that might be holding back the mink suede is how it photographs. I got your adelaides in that leather and love the waythe color changes hugely depending the light. On the website it feels that the color is a bit too light/bright almost compared to how it will often comes across. Just my 2cts. Regardless: amazing leather and highly recommended!

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
one thing that might be holding back the mink suede is how it photographs. I got your adelaides in that leather and love the waythe color changes hugely depending the light. On the website it feels that the color is a bit too light/bright almost compared to how it will often comes across. Just my 2cts. Regardless: amazing leather and highly recommended!
I definitely agree! While suede is easy to photograph in terms of lighting, it's very difficult to get the shade just right. It is different with every angle.

Product photography definitely has been a very steep learning curve for me! If I ever have larger volumes and a more consistent catalogue, it's definitely not something I will keep doing myself.

For example, I work on a Macbook, and always wondered how people on a different screen would view the images. The Macbook has a very bright screen, and I over-expose my images slightly so that people viewing it on a different screen wouldn't be looking at a too dark picture.

Vadim T

Reaction score
I actually wore my Chelsea out today and the lack of midsole is not an issue for me. I can feel my foot "almost touching" the ground but overall, the shoe is a lot lighter, compared to my other shoes.
In my opinion, for the autumn-winter collection, the lack of a middle sole is a drawback. 1) worse thermal insulation. 2) this looks not very well, when the guy dressed in down jacket or heavy overcoat, and on feet shoes with single sole.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

bryanljs

Reaction score
In my opinion, for the autumn-winter collection, the lack of a middle sole is a drawback. 1) worse thermal insulation. 2) this looks not very well, when the guy dressed in down jacket or heavy overcoat, and on feet shoes with single sole.

Very good points. However, it is not a problem for me since the weather over here in Singapore is summer all year round. I have a few boots/derby with a rubber midsole and they are very chunky. This is definitely more of a personal preference and practicality, depending on your geographic location.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's difficult of course to provide something for everyone. I even receive mails these days for shoes (such as the Chelsea) to be made with a full leather sole as the customer finds this more comfortable. The cork footbed and genuine rubber sole provide sufficient comfort and insulation for an average autumn or winter day IMHO (I've never worn anything else myself), but for harsh winter weather with snow and sludge I'd choose a different shoe.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 136 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 254 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.8%
  • 31 - 40