• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To find the correct shoe tree seems not to be that esssy. It can’t ve too narrow either. I’ve read that can damage the heel to.

I think that the ones I found seems to be good. In the pictures there doesn’t seem to be a difference between the heels.
I think you are over-thinking it. As long as the trees aren't too big it'll be really tough to exert enough pressure on the heel cup to cause a deformation

CWV

Reaction score
My lined Utah loafers went from borderline uncomfortable to a little bit of heel slip and no discomfort at all. I continue to be very impressed by them in just about every way.
Did they also give some on the big toe? My left big toe pushes a bit on the leather. Normally that place does not give due to the toe counter, but my loafers are unlined and not hard on the toe box. I wonder if they will give a bit on the big toe too.

acapaca

Reaction score
Did they also give some on the big toe? My left big toe pushes a bit on the leather. Normally that place does not give due to the toe counter, but my loafers are unlined and not hard on the toe box. I wonder if they will give a bit on the big toe too.
That's a little hard to say, because I don't recall noticing any trouble on the big toe in particular when they were new. I guess you do mean the toe itself and not the ball. I sometimes run into a little trouble with the balls of my feet, but I didn't have any of that with the SoH loafers.

I'm continuing to appreciate them more and more, by the way, now that I'm putting more miles on them. They really have broken in so nicely. Early on I had a little bit of annoyance, I'd call it, when I could feel the welt (I'm guessing it was the welt) underneath the ball of my pinky toe. That's pretty much gone now too. It looks to me like the uppers have just really molded to my foot, in a wonderful way.

In fact, I'm so impressed by these that I want to seek out additional colors. I'm sorely tempted by the Castoro suede ones on the site, but over the past few summers I have had back luck with Carmina and Meermin unlined loafers, I think because my foot rolls on its outer edge when I walk, and the shoes just lost all integrity there. But now that I think about it, maybe that had more to do with the soles.

Anyway, sorry I can't offer any feedback about the big toe on your unlined pair. Perhaps someone else has more direct experience. But I've definitely seen unlined suede uppers give and give a lot, on other shoes.

CWV

Reaction score
That's a little hard to say, because I don't recall noticing any trouble on the big toe in particular when they were new. I guess you do mean the toe itself and not the ball. I sometimes run into a little trouble with the balls of my feet, but I didn't have any of that with the SoH loafers.

I'm continuing to appreciate them more and more, by the way, now that I'm putting more miles on them. They really have broken in so nicely. Early on I had a little bit of annoyance, I'd call it, when I could feel the welt (I'm guessing it was the welt) underneath the ball of my pinky toe. That's pretty much gone now too. It looks to me like the uppers have just really molded to my foot, in a wonderful way.

In fact, I'm so impressed by these that I want to seek out additional colors. I'm sorely tempted by the Castoro suede ones on the site, but over the past few summers I have had back luck with Carmina and Meermin unlined loafers, I think because my foot rolls on its outer edge when I walk, and the shoes just lost all integrity there. But now that I think about it, maybe that had more to do with the soles.

Anyway, sorry I can't offer any feedback about the big toe on your unlined pair. Perhaps someone else has more direct experience. But I've definitely seen unlined suede uppers give and give a lot, on other shoes.
Thx anyway. The problem with sizing up is the risk of the loader not staying on my heels. I feel a gut fit on my heels with 8, theinstep has some pressure but nothing unconftable and I’m guessing that is good on a level after. The problem is the forefoot. Today I tried them with a not very thin sock and the pressure was increased.
I’m guessing that sockless might be fine. And then again, they may break in as nicely as yours.

Kangnamstyles

Reaction score
Thx anyway. The problem with sizing up is the risk of the loader not staying on my heels. I feel a gut fit on my heels with 8, theinstep has some pressure but nothing unconftable and I’m guessing that is good on a level after. The problem is the forefoot. Today I tried them with a not very thin sock and the pressure was increased.
I’m guessing that sockless might be fine. And then again, they may break in as nicely as yours.
You may want to check out a recent shoegazing article about what modifications are possible via a cobbler.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm working on an update that I will post tomorrow, as there have been quite a few things going on at the same time and I'd just like to get some things straight!

In the meantime, I have this boot for sale, but on the Huang last (soft square instead of round), size 8UK. The boots feature a straight heel, brown edge dressing and a half rubber topy. It is basically the exact same shoe as in the picture, but on Huang last instead of Pu and without the toe tips. No shoe trees included.

Regular MTO price would be €625 excl. VAT, I am selling these at €525 excl. VAT, including express delivery.

I will leave these up for a day or 2, otherwise I'm sending them back to the factory as these boots were accidentally made twice :) !

Oct. Tenth Boot Saddle Brown Hatch Grain-7.jpg

Oct. Tenth Boot Saddle Brown Hatch Grain-8.jpg

Oct. Tenth Boot Saddle Brown Hatch Grain-4.jpg

Oct. Tenth Boot Saddle Brown Hatch Grain-2.jpg

Oct. Tenth Boot Saddle Brown Hatch Grain-6.jpg

Oct. Tenth Boot Saddle Brown Hatch Grain-5.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm working on an update that I will post tomorrow, as there have been quite a few things going on at the same time and I'd just like to get some things straight!

In the meantime, I have this boot for sale, but on the Huang last (soft square instead of round), size 8UK. The boots feature a straight heel, brown edge dressing and a half rubber topy. It is basically the exact same shoe as in the picture, but on Huang last instead of Pu and without the toe tips. No shoe trees included.

Regular MTO price would be €625 excl. VAT, I am selling these at €525 excl. VAT, including express delivery.

I will leave these up for a day or 2, otherwise I'm sending them back to the factory as these boots were accidentally made twice :) !

View attachment 1607490

View attachment 1607491

View attachment 1607487

View attachment 1607486

View attachment 1607489

View attachment 1607488
Beautiful pair. Damn shame they weren't in the ever popular 8.5uk.

bsarosi

Reaction score
Hi guys!

View attachment 1607490

View attachment 1607491

View attachment 1607487

View attachment 1607486

View attachment 1607489

View attachment 1607488
Tom - just sent you a PM as I'm interested in these. My primary question for the larger audience is what the feedback has been from anyone who's purchased both types of lasts (Huang/Pu vs Shang/Hai)? I only own UK8 in the Hai in the hatch grain SpTD that fits well.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom - just sent you a PM as I'm interested in these. My primary question for the larger audience is what the feedback has been from anyone who's purchased both types of lasts (Huang/Pu vs Shang/Hai)? I only own UK8 in the Hai in the hatch grain SpTD that fits well.
Only have the Huang. Based on what I know about the Hai, Huang should be slightly roomier. Much more room in the instep.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Huang will be roomier indeed. While the instep itself is not higher, it feels higher. A third difference is that the Huang is a curved last, while the Hai is more straight.

Let me ask the factory for some more precise fitting advise, I'm not sure if any of my customers have ordered shoes on different sets of lasts before.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We also have one spot left to fill for the Chestnut Kudu calf through Oct. Tenth! The leather is already in the factory so production can start right away:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.