• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok got a response from Mehra, it's just hatchgrain (but now I would really have to check side by side for my own curiosity...), supposedly EB use Arlington mainly for light color not available on hatchgrain (for example Walnut)

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ok before too many mistakes are made and these things begin to lead a life of its own:

Hatch grain is the name of the print.

Horween Russian Reindeer does not exist.

Russian Reindeer leather, besides the one found in the sea, is only produced by J&FJ Baker, and is a copy of the M. Catharina leather.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Horween prints the hatch grain pattern on two types of leather usually: Arlington, and Pioneer. These two types of leather are tanned differently, and the leathers feel different.

When I asked Horween about it, this is what they sent:

The Arlington is similar to our Latigo, though the drying method of the Arlington is done through our toggling process. The toggling process is one that stretches the leather and does not yield a leather that is compact like a leather that is pasted or vacuum dried. Thus the grain is more pronounced and open and the temper is a bit softer with wear.

The Pioneer is a leather that was designed to utilize additional resins, is vacuum dried and the result will be a tighter breaking leather as compared to the Arlington. In addition, the Pioneer will have a finer grain as a result of the production process and will yield a smoother finished leather with a finer break in the finished shoe.

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok before too many mistakes are made and these things begin to lead a life of its own:

Hatch grain is the name of the print.

Horween Russian Reindeer does not exist.

Russian Reindeer leather, besides the one found in the sea, is only produced by J&FJ Baker, and is a copy of the M. Catharina leather.
Misinformation and confusion on the thread taking on a life of its own?? Say it ain’t so 😂
(Sarcasm)
Thanks for clearing it up

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes and I see now that my english grammar isn't too good, as of course I meant to write that the J&FJ Baker Russian Reindeer is a copy of the M. Catharina leather. Oh well, can't wint them all 🤷🏼‍♂️

djdanniedee

Reaction score
A bit of a longshot but.... are these samples? if so what size are they? and if 8.5/9UK will you be looking to sell off this sample? and if so... can i call dips... probably?

More pictures!

These are not cordovan by the way, these are Horween Saddle Brown Hatch Grain calf and made on the Pu last. They are absolutely stunning IRL.

View attachment 1592739

View attachment 1592738

View attachment 1592737

View attachment 1592740

View attachment 1592736

View attachment 1592733

View attachment 1592732

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A bit of a longshot but.... are these samples? if so what size are they? and if 8.5/9UK will you be looking to sell off this sample? and if so... can i call dips... probably?
Not samples I'm afraid, and they're a size 8 :D

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I did use the term "russian reindeer" loosely only because the Horween stuff is marketed as such. However, it is usually marketed as "russian reindeer CALF." It's just too long to type. Maybe we should say "hrrc" for short?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I did use the term "russian reindeer" loosely only because the Horween stuff is marketed as such. However, it is usually marketed as "russian reindeer CALF." It's just too long to type. Maybe we should say "hrrc" for short?
Actually I have seen that as well. Several makers referring to their shoes as Russian reindeer. Obviously incorrectly labeling it as such.

I don't believe even J&FJ Baker uses the term "Reindeer" in their description of it. They just say Russian calf. The "Russian" aspect being the tanning process that the leather has undergone. Which shares its similarity to the stuff found from the wreckage.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I have seen that as well. Several makers referring to their shoes as Russian reindeer. Obviously incorrectly labeling it as such.

I don't believe even J&FJ Baker uses the term "Reindeer" in their description of it. They just say Russian calf. The "Russian" aspect being the tanning process that the leather has undergone. Which shares its similarity to the stuff found from the wreckage.
Yeah the Baker version is probably the only that's full vegetable tanned, right?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Baker version is probably the only that's full vegetable tanned, right?
As far as I'm aware, the only non-vegetable ingredient is Fish oil. The rest is other oils and woodsy stuff.

Throw in some cauliflower, carrots, onions, and forget about leather.. you'd make a mean soup!

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the Oct 10 leather GMTOs work again? 3 or 4 guys share the cost of getting the leather to China but just have to use the same leather other options up to each guy?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy