• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I didn't ask for advice since I am a tts 8 UK and the last info page suggests to take your regular UK size. The forefoot and length part are okay, it just the heel and instep and shaft that are too roomy for me.
Means Elegant Round would be 1.5 sizes smaller than American size, correct?
I have the elegant round last Dark Brown Utah chukka’s , they fit me TTS and don’t find them to be roomy so this is very surprising. Maybe the pattern of Halway needs some modification especially shaft, instep to be proper like a true Elegant round last.

Proleet

Reaction score
I have shoes in the almond, elegant round and soft square lasts and all fit me well in the same size. Guess it depends..

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have low instep, low volume and took the same size in ER as my CJ sizing in both the chukka and halway. I’d agree with the thoughts on narrowing the shaft but I don’t get heel slip or notice a ton of space. I just put them back on to check and have a little room and slip throwing them on with my dress socks I wore today but I prefer to wear boot socks with my boots compared to thinner socks so if you do standard dress socks I could see it being more of an issue.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the pattern of Halway needs some modification especially shaft, instep to be proper like a true Elegant round last as It shouldn’t be necessarily too roomy.
Sounds like most have too much room in the shaft. It can't be everyone has small ankles and calves.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Utah Chukka in the Elegent Round last. It is one of my best fitting lasts. The heel is the right size and the front is snug but not uncomfortable or tight.

For reference i am a TTS UK 10. The Chukka's r also UK 10

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely say TTS is the way to go for SoH lasts. They're generous so if you're between sizes, I would err on the side of sizing down. It's only after trying it for myself that I was willing to go down half a size for own preferences. I'm lucky that my foot matches the last enough where half size isn't uncomfortable in any way. Not to mention your socks play a role too. Nowadays I find myself having more fit (blister) issues on new shoes when there is too much volume versus too tight, but nowadays I never go for lasts that have the risk of toe pinching so that's not much of an issue.

Last edited:

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I also concur with the above, most customers (99%) go true to size in the Elegant Round last. It is made on a UK standard block by Springline so in theory it has the same basic proportions as Crockett & Jones for example. The heel and seat width have been reduced however, as those were too wide on standard UK shoes.

With regards to the bellows tongue, it is indeed a different type of bellows tongue, more because of the fact that the tongue is lined in our boot and not in others. We had to choose between extending the upper leather or the lining leather, and went with the latter. Extending both leathers was not an option as then the side pieces were too thick to stitch properly (we found out the hard way on an old sample).

The shaft height and width have been copied from our previous pattern, the Byron. Those sold well last Fall without complaints and I didn't change the overal dimensions, only the side pattern. But it is definitely something I will take into account for when I start on next Fall's collection, perhaps it can be slightly reduced without changing the look of the boot too much.

Meyboom

Reaction score
It is my experience that the choice of leather also plays a role when it comes to fit. Suede and Utah offer the most comfortable fit whereas firm leathers like Inca, Hatchgrain or Museum make for a tighter fit. IMO the difference is never enough to go up or down 1/2 size but it is something that should be considered, definitely when breaking in a pair of shoes.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have the options to do a single MTO through Sons of Henrey in 8177 Inca Grain, and 6120 Inca Grain. If you're interested, contact me through PM or mail at [email protected]

8177 (dark brown) Inca grain:

Inca_8177.jpg

6120 (medium brown) Inca grain:

Inca_6120.jpg

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried my Dark Brown Utah Chukka boots (ER last) again today and they fit me great with perfect fit in instep/heel and the front area is snug too.
As Tom mentioned the shaft/ankle area is a copy of the Byron boots so hoping the Halway pattern is a good fit for me. I guess there will be many more people who will receive the Halway boots before me to provide their fit perspective as well but nevertheless waiting to receive 3 Halway pairs (Burgundy Utah, Navy Utah and Chestnut Kudu).

ED0CC6C7-F56B-4840-8BF5-2CE3E059683E.jpeg

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried my Dark Brown Utah Chukka boots (ER last) again today and they fit me great with perfect fit in instep/heel and the front area is snug too.
As Tom mentioned the shaft/ankle area is a copy of the Byron boots so hoping the Halway pattern is a good fit for me. I guess we will have many more people who will receive the Halway boots before me to provide their fit perspective as well but nevertheless waiting to receive 3 Halway pairs (Burgundy Utah, Navy Utah and Chestnut Kudu).

View attachment 1570912
Oh wow you have three Halways! All on the ER last?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just brainstorming through some PMs about using Cordovan for a SpTD. What were Tom's previous responses concerning Cordovan usage? I forgot.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy