• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons why many people don't like a casual black boot or shoe is that it innately lacks versatility. The color is a formal one, but casual styles clash with dressier attire. It's why black loafers don't look nearly as good with casual attire as do burgundy or brown loafers. Black oxfords look very out of place with chinos, cords and denim. Black casual boots would seem to be out of place with nearly everything, in the view of many. A dressy black boot, on the other hand, will pair nicely with suits and similar attire. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a casual ensemble with a black shoe/boot that wouldn't look better - and often far better - with footwear of a different color.

However, to each his own. Please, buy what you wish and enjoy wearing what you want and when you want to do so!
Depends what your definition of casual is. I wear lots of really dark indigo denim with black t shirts or black denim with white t shirts. Outside of a really light suede or sneakers black causal boots work best with that combo.

George Mason

Reaction score
Depends what your definition of casual is. I wear lots of really dark indigo denim with black t shirts or black denim with white t shirts. Outside of a really light suede or sneakers black causal boots work best with that combo.
...and to point out the level of subjectivity, I would never wear those color/material combinations that you obviously enjoy. If I did, I'd choose a brown suede pair of chukka boots. I'm also going to assume that I'm significantly older than you, which undoubtedly plays a role in this!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the reasons why many people don't like a casual black boot or shoe is that it innately lacks versatility. The color is a formal one, but casual styles clash with dressier attire. It's why black loafers don't look nearly as good with casual attire as do burgundy or brown loafers. Black oxfords look very out of place with chinos, cords and denim. Black casual boots would seem to be out of place with nearly everything, in the view of many. A dressy black boot, on the other hand, will pair nicely with suits and similar attire. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a casual ensemble with a black shoe/boot that wouldn't look better - and often far better - with footwear of a different color.

However, to each his own. Please, buy what you wish and enjoy wearing what you want and when you want to do so!
i think it’s in CM context, black is a easy ish color outside that and grain just give it more of a interesting texture. Like same reason you can use black penny and tassel in non CM context easier

George Mason

Reaction score
i think it’s in CM context, black is a easy ish color outside that and grain just give it more of a interesting texture. Like same reason you can use black penny and tassel in non CM context easier
Sorry, I don't know what "CM" is...

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fwiw wore them to the office with flannel trousers and tweed sportscoat yesterday. This is the first black derby boot that I'm not going to end up selling. Not going to overthink it, it's never inappropriate for me to wear this to your office. Got plenty of other footwear better for denim and chinos but no issues wearing this black Utah boot if I felt like it

PXL_20210305_191830679.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fwiw wore them to the office with flannel trousers and tweed sportscoat yesterday. This is the first black derby boot that I'm not going to end up selling. Not going to overthink it, it's never inappropriate for me to wear this to your office. Got plenty of other footwear better for denim and chinos but no issues wearing this black Utah boot if I felt like it

View attachment 1568550
As I presumed, looks pretty darn good with Flannel.

too_poor_for_this

Reaction score

View attachment 1568550
These look freakin great!!!!! The all-black is soooooo slick.

Might I add that a second layer of jealousy is that my workplace doesn't put in a back-to-office rollout until Fall 2021... at the earliest.

--------------------------

@Notch, sorry late to the party re: the full strap GMTO. Don't want to replicate the material+colour of my only other loafer, but if the full strap makes a return in a utah something or the other....someone tag me!!!!!

Last edited:

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally this and why I like the options since I bounce back and forth from this side and the SWD side.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.