• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, it's a grained derby boot with a midsole, storm welt and ridgeway sole. Could I dress it up? Maybe? But these things are going to look right at home with some denim.
Maybe he was concerned about the last shape? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Since you have them in your possession and you said works with denim, that should be make them Chino, Cord, Flannel ready as well, no?

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No in the wild pics yet but I wouldn’t call them dressy but I suppose it depends what you’re comparing to? Compared to my CJ Chelseas on 348? Not dressy. Compared to my Connistons in rough out on 325? Dressy. They fit a nice space where they’re going to end up being able to be versatile
3E19EA5E-9C7B-4955-9B24-858750191DF1.jpeg
433FA786-1B24-4E6B-8330-0CFAA849E44B.jpeg
305A670E-FC11-416B-97AC-87413132AD75.jpeg
A7B8B5ED-EEE3-4643-977F-32007B9F1122.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No in the wild pics yet but I wouldn’t call them dressy but I suppose it depends what you’re comparing to? Compared to my CJ Chelseas on 348? Not dressy. Compared to my Connistons in rough out on 325? Dressy. They fit a nice space where they’re going to end up being able to be versatile View attachment 1568484View attachment 1568485View attachment 1568486View attachment 1568487
Those CJ Chelseas are definitely dressy haha. Looking at these pictures, they easily could be a black Coniston more than a Galway.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No in the wild pics yet but I wouldn’t call them dressy but I suppose it depends what you’re comparing to? Compared to my CJ Chelseas on 348? Not dressy. Compared to my Connistons in rough out on 325? Dressy. They fit a nice space where they’re going to end up being able to be versatile View attachment 1568484View attachment 1568485View attachment 1568486View attachment 1568487
These are definitely less dressy than my EG Galways and I will be wearing my Galways with dressier/casual options. I think these will look great with chinos, flannel, jeans, cords, moleskin etc as @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes suggested.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are definitely less dressy than my EG Galways and I will be wearing my Galways with dressier/casual options. I think these will look great with chinos, flannel, jeans, cords, moleskin etc as @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes suggested.

Right so they seem to be between the Galway and Coniston (thanks to @Jmr928 and Saurabh pictures for visual evidence).

I'd amend my statement due to these pictures. I'll say probably closer to CJ's 341 last than to the 325.

George Mason

Reaction score
One of the reasons why many people don't like a casual black boot or shoe is that it innately lacks versatility. The color is a formal one, but casual styles clash with dressier attire. It's why black loafers don't look nearly as good with casual attire as do burgundy or brown loafers. Black oxfords look very out of place with chinos, cords and denim. Black casual boots would seem to be out of place with nearly everything, in the view of many. A dressy black boot, on the other hand, will pair nicely with suits and similar attire. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a casual ensemble with a black shoe/boot that wouldn't look better - and often far better - with footwear of a different color.

However, to each his own. Please, buy what you wish and enjoy wearing what you want and when you want to do so!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The CJ harlech would be a boot on the 341, so I think it looks closer to that.
Screenshot_20210306-101958_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210306-101944_Chrome.jpg

@George Mason you aren't necessarily wrong. I would generally agree, but I think the grained leather places this one is a different category. Were it smooth, it wouldn't work.

So texture plays a part here, as does sole selection. A smooth burgundy boot may look more dressy than a black one. Here you have most of the features of a casual boot. I'd also add not shining it would assist in keeping it casual.

Like you said though, different spirits for people's spirits.

George Mason

Reaction score
The CJ harlech would be a boot on the 341, so I think it looks closer to that.
View attachment 1568497View attachment 1568498

@George Mason you aren't necessarily wrong. I would generally agree, but I think the grained leather places this one is a different category. Were it smooth, it wouldn't work.

So texture plays a part here, as does sole selection. A smooth burgundy boot may look more dressy than a black one. Here you have most of the features of a casual boot. I'd also add not shining it would assist in keeping it casual.

Like you said though, different spirits for people's spirits.
Agree, many factors to consider. I just think the color black inherently clashes with casual attire. I look forward to seeing members post pictures of their black boots with casual attire. In the meantime, I await my burgundy Utah Halways!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.