• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you do another velka sneaker, how about black smooth calf (I "think" matching sole would be better, though not 100% sure)

Thomas_M

Reaction score
My dark brown Utah is a darker shade. Also, let's not post pictures of other brand's shoes too much :)
Also, it is not fair to compare SoH to the sneakers from the picture.
The shape / last is completely different and I feel that there is much more attention to details and quality to the Vekla sneakers.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t mind the white sole .. but after some time all white soles get dirty and they don’t look good .. and the maintenance becomes problematic
This is the reason I always prefer a Gum Margom Sole, looks clean like white, but hides dirt well

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Notch can you comment on the Country Calf durability/care and such for me?
The country calf leather is probably the easiest to maintain from the leathers I have available. Simple brushing, and some cream now and then. It will take a beating easily.

Chromexcel is a whole different leather, with a different look and feel to it. Much more casual, with its typical pull up effect.

The country calf Christopher reminds me of the C&J Pembroke if you're familiar with those.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The country calf leather is probably the easiest to maintain from the leathers I have available. Simple brushing, and some cream now and then. It will take a beating easily.

Chromexcel is a whole different leather, with a different look and feel to it. Much more casual, with its typical pull up effect.

The country calf Christopher reminds me of the C&J Pembroke if you're familiar with those.
Thanks, now to decide if I should buy the shoes or not. I know all you styleforum people will just tell me to buy them 😂

op131

Reaction score
Thanks, now to decide if I should buy the shoes or not. I know all you styleforum people will just tell me to buy them 😂
If you're looking for a casual country style shortwing, I don't think you'll find anything better than the Christopher at the sale price (I'd say even at full price). It's a very handsome model, with excellent grain leather in a rich med brown, and the new round last is a great fit for the gunboat style derbies. Personally I find the last more attractive than the C&J 325 used for the Pembroke model.

I wore my pair for few hours this morning and here's a quick feedback on the fit: it's definitely a shorter last than the ER, and I think that makes the overall fit very different across the board. Less clearance for the toes (both at front and on top), slightly tighter around the vamp, slightly lower instep, and strangely enough looser heel. I went with the same size as in the other SoH lasts, and I don't think sizing down would have worked for me length wise.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IChristopher

I wore my pair for few hours this morning and here's a quick feedback on the fit: it's definitely a shorter last than the ER, and I think that makes the overall fit very different across the board. Less clearance for the toes (both at front and on top), slightly tighter around the vamp, slightly lower instep, and strangely enough looser heel. I went with the same size as in the other SoH lasts, and I don't think sizing down would have worked for me length wise.
I agree with you with regards the vamp & heel comment, but I find the instep girth to be generous enough and length wise not short (not much clearance in the toe area definetely).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

speaking of CJ would you say Christopher is more like Pembroke or Swansea (think Swansea is pretty much same design as Pembroke, but a bit "sleeker" due to 341 vs 325)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.