• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both great options, you can't really go wrong. I would say the SoH is a little bit dressier to me maybe due to the last. As you probably know, Grant Stone are like tanks, so SoH is probably more comfortable out of the box.
yea i have one grant stone (grain longwing), it's trying to be Alden, and I would say quite successfully
Yes, I got my first boot from them and they made the casual lace up to perfection. Hence why looking at their derby. I am also really enjoying the E width with the room. CXL is known to be a tank, so they pair well with GS.
Although, my suede Chukka from SoH in the round last seemed to fit great initially before I put it away for Christmas gift lol, so I think this will fit the same

op131

Reaction score
I am sure @Notch will know all the stuffs lol. Was looking at a Grant Stone CXL derby, but this is a cheaper option and the Grant Stone requires to spend $400 USD and over which hurts my Canadian Dollar wallet lol
Pretty resilient leather but will require more maintenance than CXL.
I just received my pair a couple of hours ago (order was placed on Wednesday!), and the new round last is a good fit for the shortwing pattern. Will provide feedback on fit tomorrow.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never owned any CXL, but I would imagine long term wear wise, CXL give a very different casual vibe vs. grain which you can still shine up to be slightly dressier?

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never owned any CXL, but I would imagine long term wear wise, CXL give a very different casual vibe vs. grain which you can still shine up to be slightly dressier?
CXL is a very casual leather. it is excellent for casual boots and shoes. It is soft, supple and comfortable to wear. It is very sturdy.

It does not need any maintenance (conditioning it once or twice a year is more than enough). It scratches easily (which lot of people like).

It does not hold/take wax polish well.. so u really can't shine it beyond a point... you can only get a soft shine .. but if that is what you looking for.. then its perfect..

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sounds like perfect for workboot, not for me I guess, maybe I'll try CXL with a derby that I want to beat the crap out of it one day...

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like perfect for workboot, not for me I guess, maybe I'll try CXL with a derby that I want to beat the crap out of it one day...
Yes. it is very good for workboots, casual boots, casual derbies.. It is not meant to be a dressy leather. And i don think it should be used on dress shoes...

It is the perfect leather if you want to beat the crap of of something... coz it is a vey strong leather and yet very comfortable

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun fact about CXL:

From their start in 1905, Horween has been famous for shell cordovan. The cordovan leather was made solely for use in razor strops. Shortly after the tannery started Gilette popularized the safety razor. This, of course, correlated with a large decline in the necessity of razor strops. The tannery quickly needed to diversify. They developed a combination tanned leather using the performance characteristics from a chrome base-tannage (chrome tanning has heat resistance, a stronger tensile strength, and more flexibility) and combined it with the desirable aesthetic characteristics of a vegetable re-tannage. Vegetable tanning typically gives the leather the ability to mold to a form, breathe, and develop an exceptional patina.

Around 1913 Horween Leather Company in Chicago needed to diversify their product offerings and developed Chromexcel for mechanical uses. One of the main uses for Chromexcel at the time was for use in motor seals and gaskets. With world war 1 starting just after the leather was developed in 1914, Chromexcel became heavily used in the war effort. A lot of Chromexcel was made for motor seals in large trucks and even tanks. A leather seal is preferred by highly-experienced mechanics and engineers because the seal slowly breaks over time. An operator can actually hear the seal failing slowly which them a heads up that it is time to replace the seal . Whereas a synthetic seal fails immediately and completely leaving the operator without notice.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How many of you would be interested in a Vekla Low Top sneaker in dark brown Utah? Matching sole or contrasting sole. We'd need 20-24 people 🤞🏻

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dark brown Utah is a darker shade. Also, let's not post pictures of other brand's shoes too much :)
I agree...

Yes.. the dark brown you use is the darkest shade of brown you can think of... i think a medium/darkish brown sole will look better

I think this brown sole on ur existing brown suede sneaker + dark brown utah will be a good combination.. count me in for those ....

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 2.07.54 PM.png

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.