• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I sometime see 'unread chat messages' but please know that I find the chat function absolutely horrible. So if you contacted me there and I haven't replied, please PM Me.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting!

I have just received my Utah Loafers, they are stunning.
A few quick pictures below.

I am pondering if I should put a rubber toppy on them or not.
I am always scared that the leather soles will wear out too quickly with the weather here in Belgium and the fact that I have to walk on gravel to get to my car for example. Or is it just the first few wears where the sole is quickly showing wear and then it is stable for a while? I have no real long time experience with leather sole so any insight is welcome =)

A rubber toppy adds durability but it also adds thickness and reduce flexibility so not decided yet.

Cheers and big up to Tom for this wonderful pair of loafers! :cool:

View attachment 1505682
View attachment 1505683
View attachment 1505684
View attachment 1505685
View attachment 1505686

I live just a bit north of you (Netherlands) and I only wear rubber soles when the weather is bad. Leather shoes (without topy) in all other conditions and they are just fine.

acapaca

Reaction score
Interesting!

I have just received my Utah Loafers, they are stunning.
A few quick pictures below.

I am pondering if I should put a rubber toppy on them or not.
I am always scared that the leather soles will wear out too quickly with the weather here in Belgium and the fact that I have to walk on gravel to get to my car for example. Or is it just the first few wears where the sole is quickly showing wear and then it is stable for a while? I have no real long time experience with leather sole so any insight is welcome =)

A rubber toppy adds durability but it also adds thickness and reduce flexibility so not decided yet.

Cheers and big up to Tom for this wonderful pair of loafers! :cool:

View attachment 1505682
View attachment 1505683
View attachment 1505684
View attachment 1505685
View attachment 1505686
Wow, those look fantastic! And really great with your socks and trousers, I might add. I've got a pair on the way, and these pics make me all the more excited to receive them!

I may not be the best person to answer your question about soles, but I do imagine the answer is more like your guess, yes, in that they show a lot of evidence of wear at first, when that beautiful finish wears off, but take a while to actually grow thin from there. I keep a lot of pairs in rotation, so I actually have yet to need to resole any of my 'better' shoes. I did wear the hell out of a pair of Meermin loafers once, to the extent that the uppers were basically shot, yet they still had sole left to them. I guess it will depend a fair amount on the actual leather and thickness of your specific soles, but I think you'll get a whole lot of wear out of them before you start thinking about replacing the soles. Keep those uppers brushed and clean!

too_poor_for_this

Reaction score
Me last week: Man I don't really go anywhere I should stop buying stuff and window shopping. Styleforum is fun though i'll keep visiting that place

Me yesterday: Well, Tom has been so kind to offer us a Black Friday sale and I've been really digging those eyelets on the Christophers... Really, it would be disrespectful if I didn't get a pair after Tom's generosity...

I presume that the ending of this story is obvious to all...

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me last week: Man I don't really go anywhere I should stop buying stuff and window shopping. Styleforum is fun though i'll keep visiting that place

Me yesterday: Well, Tom has been so kind to offer us a Black Friday sale and I've been really digging those eyelets on the Christophers... Really, it would be disrespectful if I didn't get a pair after Tom's generosity...

I think this was me this Black Friday on other sites. I’ve managed to hold back on shoe orders until next year, but not so much on the shirts/outerwear department 😂

acapaca

Reaction score

Wear them in good health!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Typically, that is the story of 99% of the members of this forum. The other 1% don't even bother lying to themselves.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

You'll be very happy with them ;)

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I think I may be breaking lol
Does anybody own the Christopher in Walnut Country Calf? and for those who just know the leather, how durable is country calf? May be using this as a work shoe

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I think I may be breaking lol
Does anybody own the Christopher in Walnut Country Calf? and for those who just know the leather, how durable is country calf? May be using this as a work shoe
Country calf is pretty durable. Buy it, worse case, you can return it :embar:

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it similar to CXL for durability/weather resistance/care, or is it between CXL and a Calfskin
That's a hard question to me. Country calf isn't a pullup leather like CXL, but I personally wouldn't have a lot of qualms using country calf as a shitkicker. It's definitely closer to CXL than calfskin, althought there's some pretty resilient calfskin out htere. Maybe Tom can provide a better answer.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a hard question to me. Country calf isn't a pullup leather like CXL, but I personally wouldn't have a lot of qualms using country calf as a shitkicker. It's definitely closer to CXL than calfskin, althought there's some pretty resilient calfskin out htere. Maybe Tom can provide a better answer.
I am sure @Notch will know all the stuffs lol. Was looking at a Grant Stone CXL derby, but this is a cheaper option and the Grant Stone requires to spend $400 USD and over which hurts my Canadian Dollar wallet lol

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.