• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

kczsilence

Reaction score
Black denim as you mentioned, but hopefully you can get some decent contrast going on. Light blue denim (since these will be dark enough I presume). Chinos of various colors. Cords of various colors. Moleskins of various colors.

You can probably wear them with Flannel, but they may be out of place due to them being too casual perhaps. Unless of course, you use wooly flannels which are more casual.
Thanks, this makes sense. Though I don't have that many options currently but maybe for the future. Best to prepare? (justification)

I just wear navy shoes the way I wear black. Under the blue cast of natural light especially with a polished shoe, it's not very noticeable to be honest. The pair of boots in my profile pic are navy but it's doubtful anyone would care that they're not black.

For more CM outfits, navy shoes go fine with navy or grey trousers to me. For workwear outfits, I don't see a problem with brown or clothing going with navy. Mustard yellow isn't a bad combination either.
Also makes sense. I suspect that I'd just find something that works (and be able to tell very fast if it looks off). Tho thought the navy Halways would be all Utah? Or partially delapre smooth? Curious which way it'd lean. I like the smooth and grain shaftt look but all grain is nice as well...

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, this makes sense. Though I don't have that many options currently but maybe for the future. Best to prepare? (justification)

Also makes sense. I suspect that I'd just find something that works (and be able to tell very fast if it looks off). Tho thought the navy Halways would be all Utah? Or partially delapre smooth? Curious which way it'd lean. I like the smooth and grain shaftt look but all grain is nice as well...
A little envisaging never hurt anyone, especially when it comes to footwear and clothing combinations 😎.
Saying that if you don't believe you would get much usage out of them, you could always hold out for the color you prefer.

A grain, like Utah leather, will look more casual than a smooth leather. Considering the upper will be grained and visible, you can still go the route of the combo leather without fear they may look too smart. Unless, it is the other way around (smooth upper/grained shaft).

acapaca

Reaction score
@Notch .. a few pages back you mentioned that Utah is a very oily leather.

Will i be right to assume that the best way to take care of the leather / condition it is to use the Saphir oiled leather cream ?
And if I could piggyback on this question, I could also use a reminder of what to keep in mind when maintaining the Horween hatch grain. Many thanks!

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Will i be right to assume that the best way to take care of the leather / condition it is to use the Saphir oiled leather cream ?
I've never tried it but I wouldn't use it myself. I would put on as little and as light products as possible. I have used pure neatsfoot oil on other types of leather, and it tends to darken the leather quite a bit.

For the Utah calf, I'd advise brushing, a very light gel/lotion such as Bick 4, and some wax to touch up any kind of scuffs.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And if I could piggyback on this question, I could also use a reminder of what to keep in mind when maintaining the Horween hatch grain. Many thanks!
As the hatchgrain is a chrome tanned leather, you can put on creams and waxes without problem. For the Sienna hatch grain I'd recommend a medium brown cream and some dark brown polish.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
An almost one hour interview I did with John from Wi Shoeguy:
I'm wearing a Vekla shirt by the way ;) .

For people who don't know me, I have a stutter since I was young. It's worse when I talk in English, and sometimes I need to make up grammar on the spot. So I know for example that Church's isn't a Belgian shoe brand, but I wasn't able to pronounce any of the others. And I can say 'Edward Green' but for the life of me I can't say the words 'Gaziano and Girling'. A bit weird, but stuttering is a breathing problem.

Anyways, I hope you like the video!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had stuttering as well, my mom was extremely patient, took probably a good year therapy when I was really young (pre-school), still have it from time to time when I get nervous I suppose...

too_poor_for_this

Reaction score
I can't help but be impressed, envious and downright upset at the proficiency at which I hear and see euroheads speak and write in English. My monolingual ass got nothin' on y'all unless you make something of my ability to speak in... urban. @Notch if you didn't mention a stutter i wouldn't have noticed it brother

Jmr928

Reaction score
I can't help but be impressed, envious and downright upset at the proficiency at which I hear and see euroheads speak and write in English. My monolingual ass got nothin' on y'all unless you make something of my ability to speak in... urban. @Notch if you didn't mention a stutter i wouldn't have noticed it brother
My Latin teacher used to joke that you call someone who speaks three languages trilingual, someone who speaks two languages bilingual and someone who speaks one language an American. 2nd though to the rest - Well done, @Notch

acapaca

Reaction score
Very cool interview! I really enjoyed that. Excited to see what happens with the denim. And the hundred colors of suede.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never tried it but I wouldn't use it myself. I would put on as little and as light products as possible. I have used pure neatsfoot oil on other types of leather, and it tends to darken the leather quite a bit.

For the Utah calf, I'd advise brushing, a very light gel/lotion such as Bick 4, and some wax to touch up any kind of scuffs.
Just wanted to add here that Bick4 works great on Utah. It takes care of the minor scuffs as well as add some glow (depends on brushing). I have also successfully used Saphir cordovan neutral cream many times on my utah footwear though all of them are from EG

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An almost one hour interview I did with John from Wi Shoeguy:
I'm wearing a Vekla shirt by the way ;) .

For people who don't know me, I have a stutter since I was young. It's worse when I talk in English, and sometimes I need to make up grammar on the spot. So I know for example that Church's isn't a Belgian shoe brand, but I wasn't able to pronounce any of the others. And I can say 'Edward Green' but for the life of me I can't say the words 'Gaziano and Girling'. A bit weird, but stuttering is a breathing problem.

Anyways, I hope you like the video!
Woah! You're a very young and handsome guy. Didn't know your face or voice until this video. It's funny, so many of my close friends have a stutter, but it's taught me to be very patient.

Even I don't know how to say Gaziano and Girling. Is it guh-zi-ahh-no and geer-ling? Gah-zee-ahh-no and guhr-ling?

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Very cool interview! I really enjoyed that. Excited to see what happens with the denim. And the hundred colors of suede.
Haha, I'm choosing sneaker colours this weekend. The denim is close to finished, hope to have a small set of denim available by summer.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.