1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Notch, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Meyboom

Meyboom Senior Member

I see, when zooming in on the picture I can indeed tell the left shoe has a finer, subtler grain. I would consider Inca 6120 or 6127 for the GMTO oxford still...

2. evangel21

evangel21 Well-Known Member

The loafer last looks good. Looks like an almond toe last from the pic. Personally I think a loafer in a soft chisel or soft square would be awesome.

3. WhyUEarly

WhyUEarly Senior Member

Tom, thanks for the updates and great photos. Excited to see your samples and what you have in store for FW. With all your special leathers, more captoe derbies are a must, a versatile style that lets the leather shine.

4. colHolm

colHolm Distinguished Member

Always so cool to see the behind the scenes. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing the loafers, though that Inca grain looks tasty.

5. Notch

Notch Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Both of those are nice. I have experience with 6120, I did some production with them in this colour. Very nice.

6. Notch

It is an almond shaped toe, you are correct. I prefer it to a square last for a loafer, but who knows, perhaps in the future.

The captoe derby is a slow seller. It's a style I personally like a lot though. Probably I will use the captoe derby in Inca for a Group Order.

My pleasure, happy that you like it!

7. Kangnamstyles

Kangnamstyles Well-Known Member

8. Notch

In that case, I'd recommend the size 7.5. Are you looking at a particular style / last?

9. Kangnamstyles

Kangnamstyles Well-Known Member

Yes for future decisions regarding the Chelsea boot, chukka boot, and the George split toe. I’m quite keen on the different grains that you are offering/planning for them. Thanks!

10. ahtynes

ahtynes Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm stealing - I won one of the weekly drawings for 50 Euros off, which stacked with the seasonal sale. Got the Georges in my size for under $200!

11. WhyUEarly

WhyUEarly Senior Member

Purely my opinion. The suede captoe sits in a relatively awkward position. Out of your suede offerings, I would definitely choose the Chelsea and chukka over the derby for casual outfits. The suede derby also loses in sleekness to the suede Oxford if I want a dressier outfit.

Captoe derby in smooth leather might feel a bit old-fashioned especially in comparison to the split toe derby which is the flavor du jour for enthusiasts, but to me they are similar shoes in formality. Similarly to how the George in Utah is a best-seller, I think the captoe derby in any textured leather would go well with a wide range of outfits and appeal to a wider audience. My guess is that the Dark Brown Inca derby sample you showed will be popular.

12. heldentenor

heldentenor Distinguished Member

I see what you mean about dressier outfits, but if the suede captoe derby were available in my size, it would be my perfect non-oxford shoe for flannels/sportcoats or jeans/sweaters.

13. WhyUEarly

WhyUEarly Senior Member

I think it would look great with flannel too. I've gotten into the habit of wearing longwings or Budapester with flannel/sportscoat in fall or winter. For suede derby, I rather have a boot; I really enjoy my pair of Allen Edmonds Caen in loden reverse kudu. For jeans, suede chukkas and chelseas match my outfits a bit better. My biggest problem is that I can't wear suede derbies with suits to work M-F and I already have a big shoe collection. But yea, personal aesthetics and preference is the predominant factor.

14. AWu

AWu Senior Member