• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anything has better traction than dainite in wet is a plus in my book...
I am pretty sure the Vibram branded "Dainite" has much better grip in the wet weather and on slippery surfaces than actual Dainite. May be a worth to look into them @Notch

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, mushroom suede is available :)
Thanks, I will be waiting for the pics and wait for my shoes to come to see how the last fits. Cheers.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the Vibram branded "Dainite" has much better grip in the wet weather and on slippery surfaces than actual Dainite. May be a worth to look into them @Notch
Vibram branded Dainite is available (for that reason)

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's also a bit softer.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I swapped in favor of full eyelets throughout (8 total). I curse all the world, except all that is holy, when I wear the boots.
No way could I live without speedhooks on boots. Heck, on a 6-eyelet oxford I'd have the last two be mini speedhooks. Screw elegance. I need convenience.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No way could I live without speedhooks on boots. Heck, on a 6-eyelet oxford I'd have the last two be mini speedhooks. Screw elegance. I need convenience.
I barely use the speed hooks on boots, normally wrap the laces around the ankle as it doesn't put as much pressure on my ankle vs having them wrapped all the way up. However, I could see lacing them all the way up for more formal occasions

Vadim T

Reaction score
Comparison shot of the Round, Elegant Round and Contemporary Almond (mirrored for 2 different angles, whichever you prefer).
Post it on instagram.
Tom, you take pictures very slowly, very slowly :dozingoff:
I asked you to make this photo a year ago.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought round is a completely new last just launched this season?

by the way just out of curiosity, how do you minimize distortion when you take these overhead shot, when I try to do it, it always end up a bit "fish lens" with the center one being exaggerated and the ones on the side look like it's in wrong proportion (or I suppose it's just better to take one picture at a time, then stich them together instead)...

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Post it on instagram.
Tom, you take pictures very slowly, very slowly :dozingoff:
I asked you to make this photo a year ago.
Haha yes I know, but I don't consider this picture Instagram-worthy :oops:

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I thought round is a completely new last just launched this season?

by the way just out of curiosity, how do you minimize distortion when you take these overhead shot, when I try to do it, it always end up a bit "fish lens" with the center one being exaggerated and the ones on the side look like it's in wrong proportion (or I suppose it's just better to take one picture at a time, then stich them together instead)...
Yes, it is completely new. There were some samples produced before but that's it.

I correct for distortion in Lightroom. There is a special profile for the lens that I use, the rest is done automatically. Also, this picture is cropped, the actual picture is taken from higher up.

Vadim T

Reaction score
+1, speed hook always
Yes I swapped in favor of full eyelets throughout (8 total). I curse all the world, except all that is holy, when I wear the boots.
I barely use the speed hooks on boots, normally wrap the laces around the ankle as it doesn't put as much pressure on my ankle vs having them wrapped all the way up. However, I could see lacing them all the way up for more formal occasions
Still buy high boots but don't use all the eyes?
High boots are not needed in the city.
When this thread started, I suggested that Tom make a replica Alden six eye chukka

but he doesn't listen to me, he indulges the wishes of EG fans 😭

shoesforever

Reaction score
@Vadim T Maybe Tom would be more onboard with a model like this one from Norman Vilalta, but with one of Tom's lasts.

Looking forward to see the Halway sample. I feel like there is always something lacking in most of the other Galway generic models. Tom's leather sourcing ups the game though. Aside from aestethics, if one would want a beater boot for bad weather I think Country grain, Zug and suede would be the best choices. I too think that the Elegant round last would be best. Suggestions like Utah and/or pin grain/alpine grain would be beautiful though. Espescially pin grain would look very different from what we normally see. Would also make it a little bit less casual.

Attachments

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami