• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

op131

Reaction score
Tom, do you think it would be a nice combo for the Halway a espresso pin grain (love it) + dark brown suede?. Could you offer us a pic of that leather combo?
What about a double leather sole?. JR outsoles are easy to get here in Spain. TIA.
Here's a man with exquisite taste! I would be interested in such a combination as well.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Utah is an option, as is Black zug. Ridgeway sole is available, although it is not Vibram. Storm welt is possible, but no veldtschoen. Commando sole is available (I think).

The current pattern is made on Elegant Round, to have it transferred to the Round might add a few weeks. I must say that I quite like the Elegant Round last for this, especially if you combine it with a storm welt. The Byron boot had a stunning toeshape IMHO.
I'll have to comb the thread and/or the net to refamiliarize myself with both the Elegant round and Round. I think the Elegant round should be fine, but the Round last should yield a more casual boot.
The interested parties can voice their preferences.

Ridgeway alternative is different from the Vibram how? Who is the manufacturer? It sounded like the interested parties want to go in this direction.

Storm welt should work I think, but let's see.

Zug and Utah options being available are wonderful 👍🏻.

Last edited:

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'll have to comb the thread and/or the net to refamiliarize myself with the both the Elegant round and Round. I think the Elegant round should be fine, but the Round last should yield a more casual boot.
The interested parties can voice their preferences.

Ridgeway alternative is different from the Vibram how? Who is the manufacturer? It sounded like the interested parties want to go in this direction.

Storm welt should work I think, but let's see.

Zug and Utah options being available are wonderful 👍🏻.
The Elegant Round is the one that's been around the longest. Please find attached some pictures of the Byron from last year.

The Round last is newly developed. So far, feedback has been good. Nice aesthetics, good fitting last. There are some people though who find the Round last to a less voluminous last, which can be the case as the toe area is lower.

By all means, if you know your size in Elegant Round, and you're going for a GMTO (a shoe that can not be returned), I would advise to go with the Elegant Round. It is a well balanced last, even for a boot, and I don't think it's worth it to risk choosing the wrong size with an expensive boot.

For the Ridgeway, it simply is an unbranded version.

Sons_of_Henrey_Byron_High_Boot_Mahogany_Country_Grain.jpg

Sons_of_Henrey_Byron_High_Boot_Mahogany_Country_Grain_4.jpg

Sons_of_Henrey_Byron_High_Boot_Mahogany_Country_Grain_2.jpg

Sons_of_Henrey_Byron_High_Boot_Mahogany_Country_Grain_3.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anything has better traction than dainite in wet is a plus in my book...

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The current last (Elegant Round last) resembles the EG82, I can ask to change to the Round last which will lean closer to the 202, but this might take some time.

The shaft is lined, although an unlined model can easily be made.

Yes, faux cap toe.

With regards to the welt, honestly I don't even know the exact specifications anymore that I asked the factory,
Sounds great @Notch ! Will they also have a bellows tongue perhaps? Ane a leather pull tab on the back instead of a fabric one?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Elegant Round is the one that's been around the longest. Please find attached some pictures of the Byron from last year.

The Round last is newly developed. So far, feedback has been good. Nice aesthetics, good fitting last. There are some people though who find the Round last to a less voluminous last, which can be the case as the toe area is lower.

By all means, if you know your size in Elegant Round, and you're going for a GMTO (a shoe that can not be returned), I would advise to go with the Elegant Round. It is a well balanced last, even for a boot, and I don't think it's worth it to risk choosing the wrong size with an expensive boot.

For the Ridgeway, it simply is an unbranded version.

View attachment 1481434

View attachment 1481435

View attachment 1481436

View attachment 1481433
By the looks of it, the Elegant last, storm welt, bellows tongue, and Ridgeway combination should look casual enough for our purposes.

Thanks for the information and pictures 🙏🏻. Saves me the trouble.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Comparison shot of the Round, Elegant Round and Contemporary Almond (mirrored for 2 different angles, whichever you prefer).

As you can see, the Round last is more 'stout', so slightly shorter and 'fatter' than the Elegant Round. The Elegant Round has a bit more pointed toe. I would never recommend the Almond for a high boot, but it is there to compare the last as many own shoes on that last. It is shaped very differently as you can see.

last-comparison-Sons-of-Henrey.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Round would actually make a really nice casual boot, but based on the pictures posted by @Notch we are not dealing with a beauty contestant either going the elegant round route.

So with some of the questions answered, and the possibilities revealed..

What we could make up is a...

▪Black Utah leather boot (combo Zug??)
▪Storm welt construction
▪Elegant or standard Round last
▪Bellows tongue
▪Ridgeway sole
I'd be interested in a leather pull tab.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Espresso pin Grain and Dark Brown suede would look good, definitely! Once the sample is in and I have some spare time, I'll upload some combinations with the swatches I have here.

JR is not an option I'm afraid. The Spanish factory uses a high-quality, Chestnut bark tanned outsole, and changing to JR soles for my production alone would be quite the hassle. They're very lenient with what I ask but they aren't willing to do that :blush:
Thanks Tom, that will be nice. No problem with JR leather. One more thing, does the tannery carries mushroom suede like this one?
8cb7e25a864030fe017496b10de363fb.jpg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Round would actually make a really nice casual boot, but based on the pictures posted by @Notch we are not dealing with a beauty contestant either going the elegant round route.

So with some of the questions answered, and the possibilities revealed..

What we could make up is a...

▪Black Utah leather boot (combo Zug??)
▪Storm welt construction
▪Elegant or standard Round last
▪Bellows tongue
▪Ridgeway sole
I'd be interested in a leather pull tab.

Thoughts?
I can also highly recommend replacing the top speed hooks with eyelets, makes life so much easier!

20201018_115707.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami