• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

winghus

Reaction score
My preferences, anything outside of these I'm not interested. I'm looking for a quality black foul weather boot casual enough for jeans. If we get 6, I'm in, if we don't I might join one of the other Halway groups.

Full Black Utah only ✔✔
Black zug upper with black Utah shaft ✔✔✔
Ridgeway sole ✔✔
Ridgeway sole and storm welt or veldtschoen construction with bellows tongue ✔✔✔
Commando sole ✔
Commando sole and storm welt or veldtschoen construction with bellows tongue ✔ ✔
Round last ✔✔✔
Elegant round last✔

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, what do you guys use as beater boots for now?
I have a few that are solid beaters. I love them all, but oddly I only own one pair of black boots. Those are not beaters (ZB).

I have the following beaters:

A pair of EB boots with a Commando sole, sherpa lined with a Zug grain (probably the same boot @WhyUEarly had).

Quoddy in Chromexcel grain which are also lined with a Vibram sole.

Rancourt with a wool lining in Bison leather with a Vibram sole.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My preferences, anything outside of these I'm not interested. I'm looking for a quality black foul weather boot casual enough for jeans. If we get 6, I'm in, if we don't I might join one of the other Halway groups.

Full Black Utah only ✔✔
Black zug upper with black Utah shaft ✔✔✔
Ridgeway sole ✔✔
Ridgeway sole and storm welt or veldtschoen construction with bellows tongue ✔✔✔
Commando sole ✔
Commando sole and storm welt or veldtschoen construction with bellows tongue ✔ ✔
Round last ✔✔✔
Elegant round last✔
Right! That's what my idea was for these boots. A boot suitable for jeans, moleskins, and certain cords.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's to getting 6 onboard ( my wife will not be onboard, lol).
If you think about it, we would probably only need 4 more guys actually (counting us two).
I am curious what details are a possibility and which are not. Let's see what happens.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Galway sample is currently being made on the Elegant Round last, it will not be an issue to transfer it to the Round last I think but the Elegant Round looks closer to the EG82 for example, which is a nice last for this type of boot.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Have the Wholecut Chelseas been received yet? I am dying to wear them...
Very soon I hope, they're in the final steps. Everything is a bit difficult in the factory currently, but I hope to receive shipping confirmation soon.

Can you share some details @Notch? Been looking for an exact Galway copy for ages but most copies are somewhat different.

For instance,

- is the shaft unlined?
- do they have a 270 welt with a sleek heel?
- do they have a faux toe cap?

I'm eager to see the pictures if the last will resemble EG last 82 or 202 for instance, which would be great.
The current last (Elegant Round last) resembles the EG82, I can ask to change to the Round last which will lean closer to the 202, but this might take some time.

The shaft is lined, although an unlined model can easily be made.

Yes, faux cap toe.

With regards to the welt, honestly I don't even know the exact specifications anymore that I asked the factory,

+1 for rosewood

rosewood country calf on a ridgeway sole would be perfect
I have access to the base leather for Rosewood CC, but the finishing can only be done by EG. I don't think the factory can use that base leather and replicate the finish.

Any idea on how far out we'd be looking for delivery, @Notch? Probably interested in a black utah depending when it would arrive - Hoping to be able to confirm SoH fit with the reindeer chukka we're waiting on before doing another GMTO though.
For leather that's in stock, and no alterations to the pattern (so Elegant Round last) I'd say before Christmas or early January. Otherwise, more towards the end of January.

Honestly, I'm good with the boot in its standard iteration. Meaning, Utah leather with a rubber sole of some sort. Be it rubber sole or combination vibram topy.

After that, anything and everything is gravy.
As you mentioned, I am in favor of the creation of a bad weather boot, so a formal dressy boot probably is not in the cards. Of course, I am not opposed to a beautiful looking bad weather boot (oxymoron much)

What would I be most interested in?

Black grained boot ✔✔
Full Black Utah only ✔
Black zug upper with black Utah shaft ✔
Ridgeway sole ✔
Ridgeway sole and storm welt or veldtschoen construction with bellows tongue ✔
Commando sole ✔
Commando sole and storm welt or veldtschoen construction with bellows tongue ✔
Black Utah is an option, as is Black zug. Ridgeway sole is available, although it is not Vibram. Storm welt is possible, but no veldtschoen. Commando sole is available (I think).

The current pattern is made on Elegant Round, to have it transferred to the Round might add a few weeks. I must say that I quite like the Elegant Round last for this, especially if you combine it with a storm welt. The Byron boot had a stunning toeshape IMHO.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reindeer Ambleys in yet?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom, do you think it would be a nice combo for the Halway a espresso pin grain (love it) + dark brown suede?. Could you offer us a pic of that leather combo?
What about a double leather sole?. JR outsoles are easy to get here in Spain. TIA.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Tom, do you think it would be a nice combo for the Halway a espresso pin grain (love it) + dark brown suede?. Could you offer us a pic of that leather combo?
What about a double leather sole?. JR outsoles are easy to get here in Spain. TIA.
Espresso pin Grain and Dark Brown suede would look good, definitely! Once the sample is in and I have some spare time, I'll upload some combinations with the swatches I have here.

JR is not an option I'm afraid. The Spanish factory uses a high-quality, Chestnut bark tanned outsole, and changing to JR soles for my production alone would be quite the hassle. They're very lenient with what I ask but they aren't willing to do that :blush:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's