• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

Jmr928

Reaction score
never happen to me...
Thankfully she outnumbers me on shoes and got a bedroom converted into a dressing room and storage for purses and shoes so I get a bit of leeway - It does help when she likes them and gets input though.

Berto1

Reaction score
Toe box: So the fit is good in my toe areas (i have wide feet) and this fits me well. Not snug at all

Instep: the instep is quite high. i have a high instep my self, and this is high for me. (maybe due to sizing, discussed later). For reference, on my Carmina Rain oxfords i get a decent V.

Heel: there is some heel slip. Minute slip. But it is there.

To improve the heel slip i tied the laces quite tight and heel slip was reduced considerably. But in doing so the lace closure now touches each other (instep of last is quite generous).

Oct Tenth IG reached out to me as soon as i posted the pics and discussed a couple of things. Which were:

1. Regarding the slip, they suggest a tongue pad may help
2. Regarding sizing they said u should have gone TTS.

Sizing: My best fitting lasts are the Carmina Rain (UK10) and Joe Works (UK10.5). In the Huang last i got 10.5. This was done after Tom had sent them my last sizes and they had suggested 10.5

I think i could have gone with a UK 10. Would have solved the heel slippage and Instep. Might have been a bit narrow in the toe box at first, but should have expanded eventually.

But i think with a few adjustments i can make this work.

But i would suggest go TTS and go with Carmina Rain Size
Thanks aj. Fairly good info.

In my case, rain last fits perfectly so I guesswith OT I should use tongue taps.

Proleet

Reaction score
I have Horween hatch boots and Utah boots and Utah is way more supple. The Horween looks less casual and fits the Byron GMTO we had with SoH perfectly IMO (soft square, one line of brogue across the captoe seam). I would love to get in on the Utah loafer but the wife already had a small hissy over the last pair of shoes and I still have the reindeer chukkas coming next month :(
Reindeer chukkas? Where from?

acapaca

Reaction score
I received mine today in Huang last, size 7. I've typically been 7.5 in most things. This feels like a very generous last. It's a full quarter inch wider in the sole than the Passus 2000 last I recently received in size 7.5. I'm getting a bit of heel slip in these in size 7, and I could probably lace them all the way closed.

I do think my stock size is moving down to a 7 these days, after losing some weight, but I think I could wear these in 6.5. The Passus shoes on the 2000 in 7 I could wear for only a couple hours on the first go before I had to tap out. They are okay now after a few wears, but considerably smaller than these Huangs in a half-size down. I can wiggle my toes all over the place inside these.

Here's a little side-by-side of the two, for what that's worth. I'll try to post some more pics of the OTs soon. Apart from a bit of a smudge inside the left shoe, they are pretty incredible to behold. Very, very happy with this purchase!

Comp.PNG

acapaca

Reaction score
Nice pictures and the saddle brown looks amazing!! I have a similar pair ordered in saddle brown from the Yeossal GMTO.
Thanks! I'm really happy with the color, too. And happy that the decision was made for me. I was wavering between the saddle and the espresso and went ahead with the darker color since I already have a couple calf derbies in something like the saddle. This gives me a chance to share a bit of a review of the buying process. I was very impressed by an email I received from Tom, once he got my shoes. He said they had been made in saddle instead of espresso, apologized, and said they would be making a new pair right away, and he'd make sure it didn't take near as long this time.

I thought that was really stand-up. First, that he was so on top of things that he caught it before it went out. (I bet we've all discovered these kinds of things on our own from time to time in the past.) And second, that he didn't ask if I was interested in taking these instead. (Because after all, in a case like that the customer might feel a little nudged, even if that wasn't the intention.) Really impressive -- 'hey, our fault, I'm sorry, and I'm already fixing it'. I asked if he could send me pics of the saddle, and immediately said send 'em on. And now I'm glad I've got that subtle variation in the color, given the texture of the leather. Worked out very well!

acapaca

Reaction score
Absolutely stunning.

what is the calf?
Thanks! I think there were four hatch grain options available for this GMTO. There was the burgundy that others have posted now, this saddle brown, an espresso brown that I think is super dark and almost black, and then I think there was also a sienna, which is closer to tan, like in the Passus shoe in that comparison pic I put up earlier. I'm not entirely sure about the sienna, though. And I might be ignoring other ones.

And actually, do I understand correctly that these Horween hatch grains can vary, and that different makers will sort of choose their own variations? Or do they even do the coloring themselves? I seem to be under the impression that 'sienna' can mean different things from different makers. This hatch grain stuff is still very new to me.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm really happy with the color, too. And happy that the decision was made for me. I was wavering between the saddle and the espresso and went ahead with the darker color since I already have a couple calf derbies in something like the saddle. This gives me a chance to share a bit of a review of the buying process. I was very impressed by an email I received from Tom, once he got my shoes. He said they had been made in saddle instead of espresso, apologized, and said they would be making a new pair right away, and he'd make sure it didn't take near as long this time.

I thought that was really stand-up. First, that he was so on top of things that he caught it before it went out. (I bet we've all discovered these kinds of things on our own from time to time in the past.) And second, that he didn't ask if I was interested in taking these instead. (Because after all, in a case like that the customer might feel a little nudged, even if that wasn't the intention.) Really impressive -- 'hey, our fault, I'm sorry, and I'm already fixing it'. I asked if he could send me pics of the saddle, and immediately said send 'em on. And now I'm glad I've got that subtle variation in the color, given the texture of the leather. Worked out very well!
that sounds top notch customer service, I would be interest to see some espresso picture as well, then I'll probably decide between saddle and espresso (might get burgundy eventually, but not on first split toe)

Berto1

Reaction score
Thanks! I think there were four hatch grain options available for this GMTO. There was the burgundy that others have posted now, this saddle brown, an espresso brown that I think is super dark and almost black, and then I think there was also a sienna, which is closer to tan, like in the Passus shoe in that comparison pic I put up earlier. I'm not entirely sure about the sienna, though. And I might be ignoring other ones.

And actually, do I understand correctly that these Horween hatch grains can vary, and that different makers will sort of choose their own variations? Or do they even do the coloring themselves? I seem to be under the impression that 'sienna' can mean different things from different makers. This hatch grain stuff is still very new to me.
Quite weird cause yours look very different to aj’s ones, and not only the colour but the split toe looks very shiny.

I love it.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toe box: So the fit is good in my toe areas (i have wide feet) and this fits me well. Not snug at all

Instep: the instep is quite high. i have a high instep my self, and this is high for me. (maybe due to sizing, discussed later). For reference, on my Carmina Rain oxfords i get a decent V.

Heel: there is some heel slip. Minute slip. But it is there.

To improve the heel slip i tied the laces quite tight and heel slip was reduced considerably. But in doing so the lace closure now touches each other (instep of last is quite generous).

Oct Tenth IG reached out to me as soon as i posted the pics and discussed a couple of things. Which were:

1. Regarding the slip, they suggest a tongue pad may help
2. Regarding sizing they said u should have gone TTS.

Sizing: My best fitting lasts are the Carmina Rain (UK10) and Joe Works (UK10.5). In the Huang last i got 10.5. This was done after Tom had sent them my last sizes and they had suggested 10.5

I think i could have gone with a UK 10. Would have solved the heel slippage and Instep. Might have been a bit narrow in the toe box at first, but should have expanded eventually.

But i think with a few adjustments i can make this work.

But i would suggest go TTS and go with Carmina Rain Size
Saves me from posting impressions 👍🏻. I still haven't tried mines on yet or looked at them since they arrived 😂.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.