• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

winghus

Reaction score
Interesting, I would say my horween hatch (from the very first model of Blaine in sienna) is quite stiff and definitely not as supple as utah or even regular calf from CJ main line.
I have Horween hatch boots and Utah boots and Utah is way more supple. The Horween looks less casual and fits the Byron GMTO we had with SoH perfectly IMO (soft square, one line of brogue across the captoe seam). I would love to get in on the Utah loafer but the wife already had a small hissy over the last pair of shoes and I still have the reindeer chukkas coming next month :(

George Mason

Reaction score
I have Horween hatch boots and Utah boots and Utah is way more supple. The Horween looks less casual and fits the Byron GMTO we had with SoH perfectly IMO (soft square, one line of brogue across the captoe seam). I would love to get in on the Utah loafer but the wife already had a small hissy over the last pair of shoes and I still have the reindeer chukkas coming next month :(
A high boot such as the Byron in burgundy Utah would be very comfortable...and look great!

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I would say my horween hatch (from the very first model of Blaine in sienna) is quite stiff and definitely not as supple as utah or even regular calf from CJ main line.
I agree with you on this 100%. The Sienna hatch grain on the Ambly Chukka is much stiffer than the multiple shoes of Utah I have from few makers.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great and fit very well in the instep.
Interested to know how do you find the fit and the instep compared to other makers you own.
Toe box: So the fit is good in my toe areas (i have wide feet) and this fits me well. Not snug at all

Instep: the instep is quite high. i have a high instep my self, and this is high for me. (maybe due to sizing, discussed later). For reference, on my Carmina Rain oxfords i get a decent V.

Heel: there is some heel slip. Minute slip. But it is there.

To improve the heel slip i tied the laces quite tight and heel slip was reduced considerably. But in doing so the lace closure now touches each other (instep of last is quite generous).

Oct Tenth IG reached out to me as soon as i posted the pics and discussed a couple of things. Which were:

1. Regarding the slip, they suggest a tongue pad may help
2. Regarding sizing they said u should have gone TTS.

Sizing: My best fitting lasts are the Carmina Rain (UK10) and Joe Works (UK10.5). In the Huang last i got 10.5. This was done after Tom had sent them my last sizes and they had suggested 10.5

I think i could have gone with a UK 10. Would have solved the heel slippage and Instep. Might have been a bit narrow in the toe box at first, but should have expanded eventually.

But i think with a few adjustments i can make this work.

But i would suggest go TTS and go with Carmina Rain Size

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toe box: So the fit is good in my toe areas (i have wide feet) and this fits me well. Not snug at all

Instep: the instep is quite high. i have a high instep my self, and this is high for me. (maybe due to sizing, discussed later). For reference, on my Carmina Rain oxfords i get a decent V.

To improve the heel slip i ties the laces quite tight and it was reduced considerably. But in doing so the lace closure now touches each other (instep of last is quite generous).

Oct Tenth IG reached out to me as soon as i posted the pics and discussed a couple of things. Which were:

Sizing: My best fitting lasts are the Carmina Rain (UK10) and Joe Works (UK10.5). In the Huang last i got 10.5. This was done after Tom had sent them my last sizes and they had suggested 10.5

I think i could have gone with a UK 10. Would have solved the heel slippage and Instep. Might have been a bit narrow in the toe box at first, but should have expanded eventually.

Thanks for the detailed feedback regarding the fit. I guess going your normal TTS size there was a chance that it might not fit good in toe area and it’s relatively very hard to expand the toe area due to the toe stiffeners. I had same problem with AM shoes that same size as G&G I had similar issue which you are having and TTS size it was little too tight in the toe area.
Maybe a very thin leather insole would make the fit overall better as well for you.
I am eagerly awaiting delivery for my shoes too but they are on the Shang last and I was recommenced by Tom to take the same size as G&G MH71.
I am curious to know if the instep on the last can be reduced/increased in future commissions considering the length is good.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed feedback regarding the fit. I guess going your normal TTS size there was a chance that it might not fit good in toe area and it’s relatively very hard to expand the toe area due to the toe stiffeners. I had same problem with AM shoes that same size as G&G I had similar issue which you are having and TTS size it was little too tight in the toe area.
Maybe a very thin leather insole would make the fit overall better as well.
I am eagerly awaiting delivery for my shoes too but they are on the Shang last and I was recommenced by Tom to take the same size as G&G MH71.
I am curious to know if the instep on the last can be reduced/increased in future commissions considering the length is good.
I might hold off for a couple of wears .. maybe the heel moulds a bit to my feet .. if not I plan to use tongue pads .. I think that might do the trick ..

but the tricky part is finding it in my country 😂

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To improve the heel slip i tied the laces quite tight and heel slip was reduced considerably. But in doing so the lace closure now touches each other (instep of last is quite generous).

good info, glad I stick with my CJ/Carmina size...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.