• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

theh00d

Reaction score
Congratulations on the launch! Like everyone else love the off white! Have to hold off on sneaker purchases for the time being. If there is a ever a black on gum sole I might jump on that. Wish you the best on the success of this project!

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
These are gorgeous examples, Tom. I’m enthralled by the Off White, but alas, the current state of affairs has forced me to tighten my belt quite a bit. Hopefully soon - wish you all the luck with this project, it is a beautiful launch 👍🏼
Thank you for your kind words, I am happy to hear that you like the new project. I'm personally also very proud of the end result, it's different enough to what's out there while still unmistakably being a minimal sneaker. I definitely understand what you're saying, Corona has hit us all pretty hard. I hope to welcome you as a customer in better times!

Congratulations on the launch! Like everyone else love the off white! Have to hold off on sneaker purchases for the time being. If there is a ever a black on gum sole I might jump on that. Wish you the best on the success of this project!
Thank you! The off-white is my new George STD 🤣. Future releases will definitely be announced here, so keep an eye out.

I'm actually torn between the white and offwhite version. Leaning toward the white sneaker since I don't have a single pair of white sneakers and I already have offwhite suede.
As it's off white suede, I think you could go with either option and still have a shoe that looks different enough to what you already have. I'd say go for the one you like the most, you can always get the other one later ;)

WhyUEarly

Reaction score
As it's off white suede, I think you could go with either option and still have a shoe that looks different enough to what you already have. I'd say go for the one you like the most, you can always get the other one later ;)
Haha good point. I think getting both pairs might be a bit excessive, since I need to leave some budget for SoH and Oct Tenth ;) . I have complete confidence in the quality of your sneakers, just hope sizing works well as I'm between 42.5 and 43, so I'll try a 42 in Vekla.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Haha good point. I think getting both pairs might be a bit excessive, since I need to leave some budget for SoH and Oct Tenth ;) . I have complete confidence in the quality of your sneakers, just hope sizing works well as I'm between 42.5 and 43, so I'll try a 42 in Vekla.
I'd say size 42 is the right choice, the leather is soft and they'll break in nicely.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Notch you mention the sneakers are different from what is out there. How are they different and what are your points of comparison (eg, common projects)?
I am currently writing a blog post about how the sneakers came to be, so thank you for asking.

Let me first put my comment into perspective. To me personally, there are different types of sneakers. There are sneakers like Nike and New Balance, or running shoes that are now really popular. A lot of friends of mine wear them, some even collect them. But this is not the type of sneaker that I offer.

An other type of sneaker is a more minimal sneaker, that could be worn with jeans, but just as easily with chino's or even the odd suit. When I think of this type of sneaker, Common Projects comes to mind, obviously, but also CQP, Koio, Sweyd, Oliver Cabel, Axel Arigato. Even brands such as John Lobb and Church's are making their own version. Then there are also brands that make sneakers, but where it's not their main business. Examples such as A Day's March, or even SuitSupply come to mind. A simple google search leads to a plethora of examples.

To me, my own collection of sneakers, fits into the second category. I wanted to create a sneaker that could rival with the best of them, but make it from my own point of view. I have been an agent for Vass shoes, a shoe company making truly handmade shoes in Hungary. Then, I moved on to start my own brand, Sons of Henrey, and eventually got into sneakers (and a bit of clothing that's still a work in progress).

So first of all, marketing terms do not interest me. The sneakers are not handmade, and they do not use the best leather. The sneakers are made by hand, by real craftsmen, but using machines. And the leather that I use is among the best, and definitely when I compare it to some of my peers, but the best leather simply doesn't exists. You will very rarely catch me on mistakes here in my marketing efforts. I simply can't sell a product as 'handmade', when I know very well what an actual handmade product looked like at Vass, and how it was made.

What I have tried to accomplish with the sneakers is, A) a unique design, B) made by real craftsmen, C) using high quality material, D) at a fair price and E) with an effort in terms of sustainability.

In november 2018, I had planned a first visit to a couple of factories in Italy that were willing to produce for me. I had a design in mind, and some sketches drawn in Illustrator that actually looked very decent. One factory owner, and this is a true story, simply looked at my sketches and said 'why don't you just use our best selling model, it is an exact copy of brand X'. I walked out and carried on with my search. Many of my competitors are an almost exact copy of you-know-who.

In terms of craftsmanship, I had already talked about this over on the 'Streetwear and Denim' forum, so please allow me to copy paste:

The sneakers are made in Italy, by one of the top shoe makers in the industry. It is a very small, family run enterprise (the daughter runs the company with her father still working on the factory floor), of not more than 20 people, that produces for a number of important fashion brands. A rare gem that I stumbled upon through word of mouth. On my first visit, they agreed to make a sample, which to me felt as an enormous achievement. No prices were mentioned, and I never questioned the quality of their work. It just felt right. In fact no prices were ever mentioned until we were almost 1 year into the project, and we were making samples with the definitive leather.

The fact that no prices were mentioned until the very end of the project, shows that there was mutual trust. I knew the brands they produced for, and I knew that in the end, with their level of expertise and my input on materials, we could reach a sneaker that would eventually sell itself, no matter the price I had to put on it.

High quality materials is a pet peeve of me since working with Vass. Vass is one of the few makers where they always go for the more expensive option of the two, for the higher quality option. I do this too on my sneakers. There were limitations here of course, as I could have easily made a 500€ sneaker, but I strongly believe that from a price to quality perspective, Vekla offers one of the best sneakers out there. There are no marketing frills, and it is simply the factory - me - you. One markup to keep my business afloat, and that's it. Hold my sneakers up to a more expensive sneaker, then cut it open and send me back the result.

And finally, sustainability. This was actually the main reason why the factory that I currently work with, agreed to work with me. Believe me when I say they did not need the extra business. But they acknowledged the fact that there are certain exciting innovations going on in the leather industry, and they were open to give these a try. The same is true for some of the materials that we use, and when order quantities allow it, we will focus even more on this aspect. Margom, for example, is working on sneaker soles with recycled rubber, but MOQ's are too high for me (1000 pair minimum for white). I'll get there eventually, but for now I need to be happy with the fact that one day this will be an option.

TomOwen

Reaction score
Hi Tom - should I be taking the same size as my Common Projects for Vekla? Thanks!

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Notch can you give us a sense of when your new “basic” soh models would be available?
Couple of days from now I will open a handful of GMTO's ore pre-order for next Fall. The new, basic models will also be included. Definitely not all of them, as I was unable to work out the details with the factory. On some models, the cost they charge for me to use my own leather is just ridiculous.

bsarosi

Reaction score
@Notch - I'm sure there's been some delays but I seem to recall the Blaine Wholecut Chelsea GMTO initially planned for March delivery. Can you provide an update since March has come to an end?

winghus

Reaction score
An update on the timeline for the burgundy lama chukka and the Baker reindeer chukka would be nice also. The lama was commissioned December 10 IIRC.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.