• Styleforum is going on Instagram Live today with Eva Kuhle of Epaulet

Today, Peter talks to Eva Kuhle of Epaulet, a long time Styleforum member and sponsor, in the latest episode in our ongoing series of conversations about COVID-19 and the impact the global pandemic on the menswear industry

Tune in at 4:00 p.m. PDT

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

Meyboom

Reaction score
Love this, subtle texture
AM labels this also as peccary leather. The peccary is an animal that ressembles a wild boar and belongs to the pig family. I have a pair of gloves in peccary leather, it is supple and durable at the same time but the grain is quite sensible to moisture. The grainy surface with open pores and scars just adds to the overall character of this leather.

Proleet

Reaction score
AM labels this also as peccary leather. The peccary is an animal that ressembles a wild boar and belongs to the pig family. I have a pair of gloves in peccary leather, it is supple and durable at the same time but the grain is quite sensible to moisture. The grainy surface with open pores and scars just adds to the overall character of this leather.
If it really is peccary then I’m curious how it is treated. I have peccary gloves and they are so smooth that I have a hard time imagining it on shoes

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it really is peccary then I’m curious how it is treated. I have peccary gloves and they are so smooth that I have a hard time imagining it on shoes
I have two pair if peccary shoes from Gravati. Seriously soft. It’s a great, if under used, leather.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
@Notch

Re: pigskin - quite honestly I’m not sure. I’ve seen Meccariello use it in several shoes and always loved the look of it. Seems like a cool leather for quite a few makeups. See for example here:

View attachment 1358741

View attachment 1358742
I have two pair if peccary shoes from Gravati. Seriously soft. It’s a great, if under used, leather.
I have a pair of shoes in Peccary. Brogue oxfords in Reddish Brown (like Color 4 Cordovan). Extremely soft Leather as others have mentioned. Low maintenance with only minimal brushing required. The grain is slightly more pronounced than pictures let on.

Here, it looks like a small grained leather. Like Alpine you can say. In person, it is more like a Utah grained leather or Inca. I shoot you an email of some pictures made up in the leather.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
I would be in favor for a Burgundy HW SpTD using this leather. Would you guys expect anything less 🤣.

Beware. This probably would up the cost considerably. @Notch can confirm or deny that.

rc121

Reaction score
The peccary I've seen from Enzo Bonafe is super supple but way larger grain, almost English/London grain. I was wondering whether peccary could be used for an entire shoes, as the EB boots only use it on the shaft.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
The peccary I've seen from Enzo Bonafe is super supple but way larger grain, almost English/London grain. I was wondering whether peccary could be used for an entire shoes, as the EB boots only use it on the shaft.
I DM'd you but yes they can be made up as a whole shoe. As you mentioned, the grain is more inline with an English grain.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Peccary can be chrome tanned or veg tanned which makes quite a difference in the finishing of the leather.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have sent out a couple of email to enquire about pigskin. I agree that pigskin should be soft, but I can not start using glove-leather for shoes. The leather might tear at the seams. A certain degree of strength is necessary. As @Meyboom points out, the tanning is the decisive factor. When you go to leather fairs such as Lineapelle, you even find alligator and crocodile that is tanned as glove leather, as soft and pliable as a piece of fabric.

edited, as I have sent out emails for actual pigskin, not peccary. I have a source for peccary but I believe it will be too soft.

Last edited:

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can’t be used for wholecuts or other designs that require large pieces. I have a pair of Gravati austerity brogues that are all peccary.

WilYa

Reaction score
I don't think the "pig skin" used by AM and GG is peccary, since you can have large pieces, see below a recent post of a wholecut by LuYang
Screenshot_20200322_205714.jpg

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the "pig skin" used by AM and GG is peccary, since you can have large pieces, see below a recent post of a wholecut by LuYang
View attachment 1359134
G&G’s pigskin is pigskin, not peccary. But the wholecut in that pic looks like peccary to me. Interesting. Notch will recall when I came to him a while back looking to do a Chelsea in black Utah (which he beautifully created) my original quest was for a Chelsea in peccary, but everyone I approached told me peccary didn’t come in pieces large enough for a wholecut design and was better suited to pieced designs.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
G&G’s pigskin is pigskin, not peccary. But the wholecut in that pic looks like peccary to me. Interesting. Notch will recall when I came to him a while back looking to do a Chelsea in black Utah (which he beautifully created) my original quest was for a Chelsea in peccary, but everyone I approached told me peccary didn’t come in pieces large enough for a wholecut design and was better suited to pieced designs.
I also had shoes made up using Peccary. It was made up using pieces as I was informed about the style issues you guys are referring to. No PTB, wholecuts, or even Chelseas (higher one) would be possible due to the strength issues @Notch mentioned.

To my surprise, I saw AM made the Chelseas using Peccary. Wonder if that is an actual Pig skin or a print, as well as Lu Yangs leather.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also had shoes made up using Peccary. It was made up using pieces as I was informed about the style issues you guys are referring to. No PTB, wholecuts, or even Chelseas (higher one) would be possible due to the strength issues @Notch mentioned.

To my surprise, I saw AM made the Chelseas using Peccary. Wonder if that is an actual Pig skin or a print, as well as Lu Yangs leather.
Yeah, I’d be 100% down for peccary Chelsea’s if that were possible.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.