• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
Sizing definitely is something that needs to be addressed.
Perhaps @Notch can provide comparison sizing to SoH or to other brands.

In regards to the make of the shoe, you may not be aware but hopefully you can inquire. Does Xibao fill the cavity with cork (I have seen some makers use it even though it is handwelted) as opposed to a full leather footbed. Do they use leather heel & toe stiffeners or plastic? Insoles made of vegetable tanned leather insoles or something else? Lastly, are the soles machine or handsewn on?

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Great questions!

Another thing i'm curious is if they can make a blind welt waist? Hopefully that's the correct term, where the waist is cut so close that it pretty much disappears.
Regarding the heel, i'm guessing it'll be stacked heels done one at a time instead of a prebuilt heel?
Also, any options for a monogram with nails at the waist similar to how STC's have it? I've seen some really [email protected] designs

Sizing definitely is something that needs to be addressed.
Perhaps @Notch can provide comparison sizing to SoH or to other brands.

In regards to the make of the shoe, you may not be aware but hopefully you can inquire. Does Xibao fill the cavity with cork (I have seen some makers use it even though it is handwelted) as opposed to a full leather footbed. Do they use leather heel & toe stiffeners or plastic? Insoles made of vegetable tanned leather insoles or something else? Lastly, are the soles machine or handsewn on?

djdanniedee

Reaction score
sorry 1 more question. For leather soles, do they use oak bark soles like from JR/Bakers?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
Great questions!

Another thing i'm curious is if they can make a blind welt waist? Hopefully that's the correct term, where the waist is cut so close that it pretty much disappears.
Regarding the heel, i'm guessing it'll be stacked heels done one at a time instead of a prebuilt heel?
Also, any options for a monogram with nails at the waist similar to how STC's have it? I've seen some really [email protected] designs
The blind welt is just the bevelled waist all the way round the shoe, so the sole hides the stitching, creating a smooth clean line.

I am guessing you meant that as opposed to only having a beveled waist.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
Incidently, not sure how others feel about it but I do not really care for a fiddle back on a SpTD shoe.

I am fine with a blind welted shoe, but since in all likelihood it will be a rubber sole a subtle beveled waisted is fine in my book (see below).

Screenshot_20200225-135310_Chrome.jpg

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I was thinking specifically the waist area. I've seen it on other bespoke shoes where you can see the welt ont he forefoot area but once it hits the waist it's cut so so so close that it's gone. Similar to how STC looks but they use wooden pegs instead.

Btw @Notch for the heels, do they use nails or wooden pegs to hammer in?

The blind welt is just the bevelled waist all the way round the shoe, so the sole hides the stitching, creating a smooth clean line.

I am guessing you meant that as opposed to only having a beveled waist.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
i'm indifferent to whether it's fiddleback or beveled waist, but is it confirmed for rubber outsole?
I'd personally prefer a leather sole with steel toetaps.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For the handwelted GMTO (4 participants minimum), the type of sole can be chosen individually by every participant.

I will respond to the other questions later tonight or tomorrow.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Also, I have one confirmed for this GMTO, so once there's interest from 3 more people perhaps it's best to discuss further in private conversation.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
I was thinking specifically the waist area. I've seen it on other bespoke shoes where you can see the welt ont he forefoot area but once it hits the waist it's cut so so so close that it's gone. Similar to how STC looks but they use wooden pegs instead.

Btw @Notch for the heels, do they use nails or wooden pegs to hammer in?
Sounds exactly like the other SpTD that Xibao produced and can produce with their collab with SoH

Screenshot_20200225-142010_Instagram.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
Oh sorry, I have one confirmed for Sienna hatch grain STD, a personal friend of mine who saw the sample last time he was here.
Although I would prefer the J&FJ Baker, I do not believe it comes in Burgundy. If that indeed is the case and that confirmed person you have is in on the Burgundy Sienna Hatch, let me know. I would be in on that one.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this thread is going cray cray.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.