• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

Braid

Reaction score
My mistake, I was confusing it with Utah calf. Coloured cream is perfectly ok, although personally I don't use it often as it's easier to make a mistake. I usually use some kind of conditioner, colourless cream and then waxes and a bit of water for a nice shine.
Hi Tom, why would you advise against using cream on Utah calf? I use saphir cream on all my shoes to cover scratches or create a bit of patina.

Haven't tried yet with my George STD in chestnut Utah and used only dark wax, should I keep it that way and never use cream then?

Kangnamstyles

Reaction score
Hi Tom, why would you advise against using cream on Utah calf? I use saphir cream on all my shoes to cover scratches or create a bit of patina.

Haven't tried yet with my George STD in chestnut Utah and used only dark wax, should I keep it that way and never use cream then?
I’d guess bc cream can get stuck in the grain and hard to brush out?

Meyboom

Reaction score
Although these were part of the summer collection I like to wear them on cold days as well. If anyone is still on the fence about the GMTO Frank quarter brogue in brown museum, I would recommend going for it. It’s the same shoe with less brogueing and I know Tom sources excellent museum calf...
DSC_0148.JPG

wdrenth

Reaction score
Although these were part of the summer collection I like to wear them on cold days as well. If anyone is still on the fence about the GMTO Frank quarter brogue in brown museum, I would recommend going for it. It’s the same shoe with less brogueing and I know Tom sources excellent museum calf...
View attachment 1320852
I am on the fence! Think still have time until tonight to make that final.

Braid

Reaction score
I am on the fence! Think still have time until tonight to make that final.
Go for it, I just placed my order.

I am so happy with the other shoes I have from Tom I couldn't resist this one, especially since it's impossible to find a nicer or more balanced quarter brogue derby elsewhere.

Bonus picture of my black Friday special, couldn't be more pleased with this.

IMG_20200115_154822.jpg

Meyboom

Reaction score
In my experience when using cream on textured leathers it is important to use the tiniest amount so that it doesnt get stuck in the grain. For my ebony utah George I use bick4 for the whole shoe and some dark brown or black cream on the toes and heels because those parts get scratched most easily.

masernaut

Reaction score

I am so happy with the other shoes I have from Tom I couldn't resist this one, especially since it's impossible to find a nicer or more balanced quarter brogue derby elsewhere.

Bonus picture of my black Friday special, couldn't be more pleased with this.

View attachment 1320880
I was on the fence about those and I thought I didn't need them but oh how wrong I was!

wdrenth

Reaction score

Just jumped off the fence and placed my order as well :)
Now the wait begins ...

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
In my experience when using cream on textured leathers it is important to use the tiniest amount so that it doesnt get stuck in the grain. For my ebony utah George I use bick4 for the whole shoe and some dark brown or black cream on the toes and heels because those parts get scratched most easily.
I have several grained leathers. From Utah grain, alpine to your exotic kangaroo, camel, etc. I also use Bick 4 to condition the whole shoe. I then use the same colored cream of the shoe's color on the whole shoe (a quarter amount which I dab around with my fingers to ensure equal distribution). Then put on a darker color across the heels and toes like @Meyboom.

Provided you have a stiff haired pig bristled brush, it will not embed within the grain (negatively that is). You also want to make sure to clean off the excess the leather that did not absorb with a rag of some sort.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you all for the interest in the GMTO's! I had not put in the same effort as before in terms of advertising, as I am very busy with getting the new project on the rails, but still a quite a few models made the required 6 and will go into production :fistbump:.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I know it exists, but nothing more.
In general, we are waiting for the exact details of the project.
Working on it day in day out!

Utah is a vegetable tanned leather, meaning that it soaks everything up like a sponge. It's a delicate leather, and a heavy cream such as saphir pommadier can blotch the finish. Also in the factory I am very careful with how I finish the leather, and have recently switched to colourless cream instead of a light pigmented cream. But of course, everyone is free to use what they think works best.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.