• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I go into this, who of you would be interested in learning more about the financials behind this new project? Because when I talk about potential investors, larger volumes etc. it is all quite vague. I'd be happy to write some numbers down if anyone's interested.
As a fellow entrepreneur, I would be interested in learning more. Also, I just might be in it for that shortwing in Tobacco.

winghus

Reaction score
As a fellow entrepreneur, I would be interested in learning more. Also, I just might be in it for that shortwing in Tobacco.
I second knowing the actual numbers involved. I follow the "So I started a clothing company" thread avidly.

RickyTakhar

Reaction score
Before I go into this, who of you would be interested in learning more about the financials behind this new project? Because when I talk about potential investors, larger volumes etc. it is all quite vague. I'd be happy to write some numbers down if anyone's interested.
For sure! For me personally value is king. To me that means understanding what makes a specific product cost more than another and assesing if those differences are substantial enough for me to justify the price.

The financial side of menswear is often hidden away, but it would be great to disclose to help us make more I formed decisions

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, I'll write some things down then (well, most of the numbers I have written down of course, but those wouldn't make much sense on their own). Probably on my flight to Italy on Tuesday!

masernaut

Reaction score
Always interested.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question. It's not just for fun, it's the direction I will be heading for the entire brand, eventually. It's a long story, and I'm sure I'll post the the entire story one day, but let's say that I would like to produce a more sustainable, affordable and transparent alternative to what a lot of high street brands are offering these days.

This particular wingtip derby is part of a series of shoes on the newly developed round last. All these samples use vegetable tanned leather, and overall more durable materials. Packaging, presentation and price will also be in line with this new approach.

As with everything, these things cost a lot of money to develop, and even more money to launch. So far, I have bootstrapped Sons of Henrey, and that turned out very well. But this particular line of shoes demands a higher volume. I have contacted a number of investors here in Belgium (private and public) that might help me with the launch.

But before the actual launch, the entire new line up (shoes and sneakers) will be available to pre-order, as a kind of product based crowdfunding. The more pre-orders I can gather, the better I can negotiate with these potential investors.

Great to hear that you might be interested! Please see my explanation above. The crowdfunder should appear online at the end of February, and will run for a little over 1.5 months.

The tannery calls it Tobacco, perhaps I'll use that name, perhaps not. To me it's darker than Tobacco.
Interesting approach. What made you decide to go for a more sustainable direction. Are you planning to go only with veg tanned chrome-free leathers in your new project? If yes, why eliminating chrome tanned leathers going forward?

Last edited:

Vadim T

Reaction score
But before the actual launch, the entire new line up (shoes and sneakers) will be available to pre-order, as a kind of product based crowdfunding. The more pre-orders I can gather, the better I can negotiate with these potential investors.
The declared characteristics of future products sound tempting.
I would participate in a pre-order or group order if I like the last and shoe pattern, at the moment I like the photo of the shortwing, it is very interesting to see the final result.
crowdfunding
Honestly, the word scares me.
To participate in a project where, due to translation difficulties, I may misunderstand a clause of conditions, at least unreasonable, or even stupid.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting approach. What made you decide to go for a more sustainable direction. Are you planning to go only with veg tanned chrome-free leathers in your new project? If yes, why eliminating chrome tanned leathers going forward?
In fact, I had made a mistake in my first post. The line-up will not feature only vegetable tanned leather, rather it will be a range of chromium-free leather (which is different to vegetable tanned). Let me explain this better:

- Leathers such as the tumbled Minerva box from Badalassi Carlo are true, vegetable tanned leathers. There are a lot of reasons why one would choose vegetable tanned leather, but mainly it is because of its more natural characteristics. The feel, the smell, the way it ages, etc., are all different to a chrome tanned leather. There are a lot of vegetable tanned leathers available, and most of them have a bit more casual feel to them, ideal for a collection of wingtip derby shoes, PTB's and chukka boots. Because of the way they're tanned though, they usually have some kind of earthy hue. It is near impossibly to achieve bright, light coloured leather with pure vegetable tanning.

- Recently, a new type of tanning has become more popular. It is known as wet-white tanning, and results in chromium-free leather with a lot of the advantages chrome tanning brought us. Particularly in colour, colour fastness and softness the wet-white tanning process has shown some remarkable advantages. Wet-white tanning can produce vibrant, light coloured calf, suede and nubuck leathers, which are important to me.

Last time I was at Lineapelle, sustainability and eco-friendliness were everywhere. Using vegetable tanned leather and wet-white tanned leather will be my way of pitching in.

However, and this is important to me, quality will always be first. I will not use any leather that I know doesn't come from a reputable source, or will not yield good results. Using sustainable materials just for the sake of using sustainable materials is something I don't want to support. Rather, I want to inform the customer of what is available, why I choose to use what I use, and then have the customer make his or her own decision.

There are a couple of difficulties though, one of them being that there are not a lot of suppliers / producers yet, and that these types of leather (especially wet white tanned) are not stocked items for any of them. If I want to order wet-white tanned suede, or wet-white tanned nappa leather, then I can't order per square meter but rather I have to place a production order of 30 or 50 square meters (around 2.5 to 3 pair of shoes per square meter).

There are pros and cons, but I believe the pros outweigh the cons.

The only exception to the above would be when there's no alternative (such as with certain grained leathers), or when the leather comes from tanneries that have all their certifications in place.

The declared characteristics of future products sound tempting.
I would participate in a pre-order or group order if I like the last and shoe pattern, at the moment I like the photo of the shortwing, it is very interesting to see the final result.

Honestly, the word scares me.
To participate in a project where, due to translation difficulties, I may misunderstand a clause of conditions, at least unreasonable, or even stupid.
A product-based crowdfunding is actually exactly the same as a group order, only at a slightly larger scale. You find a crow of people (10, 50, 100, ... people) who purchase an item before it goes into production, at a slightly lower price than retail. It's a win-win for everybody, as it pre-finances the cost of production for the entrepreneur. No clauses or conditions, no fine print.

Let's say I were to design 3 different patterns, in 3 different colours. That's 9 models. MOQ's for the leather, production in Italy and / or Spain, packaging etc., you'd be looking at an up front investment of around 25.000€.

By crowdfunding you not only pre-finance part of the production cost, you can also gauge the interest of the customer. It could become obvious for example that design A and colour B are the preferred options, so then you simply produce a bit more of it.

Last edited:

Vadim T

Reaction score
No clauses or conditions, no fine print.
That's good, I like it.
Do I understand correctly that the project will be hosted on a third-party Internet site?
If so, who will pay the site, will you pay the percentage of the total amount collected, or will I pay the percentage when I transfer money?
How will crowdfunding work?
All or nothing. If you do not collect the required amount by the scheduled date, all the money will be returned to investors? Can move the date X?
At least 50%. We collect at least this amount and start production?
We collected as much as we could. You can start production with any amount collected after the date X, but you need to understand whether this makes sense?
We collect until we collect. There is no date X, we collect money until the necessary amount is accumulated?
Using sustainable materials just for the sake of using sustainable materials is something I don't want to support.
I like this approach to work, I support you.

Last edited:

Evergreen88

Reaction score
I am honoured to have the first (sample) Blaine in sienna hatch grain! I used them a couple of days so far and I love them already:

Really impressed with the leather and very curious to see how they are going to age.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's good, I like it.
Do I understand correctly that the project will be hosted on a third-party Internet site?
If so, who will pay the site, will you pay the percentage of the total amount collected, or will I pay the percentage when I transfer money?
How will crowdfunding work?
All or nothing. If you do not collect the required amount by the scheduled date, all the money will be returned to investors? Can move the date X?
At least 50%. We collect at least this amount and start production?
We collected as much as we could. You can start production with any amount collected after the date X, but you need to understand whether this makes sense?
We collect until we collect. There is no date X, we collect money until the necessary amount is accumulated?

I like this approach to work, I support you.
So probably people in the US will be more familiar with these websites, but have you heard of Indiegogo or Kickstarter? Those are reward-based crowdfunding platforms, which means you receive a reward (in this case, a shoe) in return for your funding. I'd like to do something similar, but on a website that I set up (so no affiliation to Kickstarter or Indiegogo), similar to the Sons of Henrey website.

There is a certain goal that I need to reach in order to get the ball rolling. But I'll explain this into more detail in a future post, where I go deeper into the financials.

There will be a date X, which is the cutt-off date for production with the different partners. In terms of the required amount, yes it will be all or nothing. It has to be, as there are different factors in play (tanneries that have their unique minimum order quantities, delivery dates and payment terms, production factories that have their unique minimum order quantities, delivery dates and payment terms, packaging suppliers with their own requirements etc.)

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am honoured to have the first (sample) Blaine in sienna hatch grain! I used them a couple of days so far and I love them already:
View attachment 1320835

View attachment 1320836

Really impressed with the leather and very curious to see how they are going to age.
Looks great, and the fit appears to be good for you too! I'd suggest some darker wax for a nice patina effect, but not too much cream, except neutral cream.

Evergreen88

Reaction score
Looks great, and the fit appears to be good for you too! I'd suggest some darker wax for a nice patina effect, but not too much cream, except neutral cream.
The fit is great, which is surprising considering Chelsea boots are usually quite tricky!

I will apply dark brown was on the tips and just neutral cream to the rest of the shoes this weekend. Why would you advice against colored cream?

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The fit is great, which is surprising considering Chelsea boots are usually quite tricky!

I will apply dark brown was on the tips and just neutral cream to the rest of the shoes this weekend. Why would you advice against colored cream?
My mistake, I was confusing it with Utah calf. Coloured cream is perfectly ok, although personally I don't use it often as it's easier to make a mistake. I usually use some kind of conditioner, colourless cream and then waxes and a bit of water for a nice shine.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.