• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I will be in Italy next week visiting the sneaker factory, so stay tuned ;)!

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That shortwing derby looks like a winner.

Vadim T

Reaction score
I will be in Italy next week visiting the sneaker factory, so stay tuned ;)!
I certainly haven't seen the sneaker design yet, but what is the largest size that you plan to order at the factory?
And yes, shortwing look very promising!!!

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
On which last are you making the wingtip Derby if I can ask?
A new one ;). What you see in the picture by the way isn't the last, it's a metal device used to heat shape the heel. The real last comes into play after this step.

That shortwing derby looks like a winner.
Thanks, I had been planning one for a while but never got around to it. Being in the factory when they made the design really helped as then I could point out some details that i didn't want them to miss.

Finally some STD sienna hatch grain pictures, I was waiting on those! Personally, I feel like this is one of the best GMTO's we've done. The soft square last, with the hatch grain leather really works. Most of these went to SF members, so thank you all for that!

You hit a homerun with the design of those wingtips. What leather is it?
Vegetable tanned tumbled calf leather from Badalassi Carlo. Will also have a vegetable tanned leather lining, and vegetable tanned double leather sole. I'm moving towards chromium-free tanned leathers for this new project I'm working on (suedes and calf leather).

I certainly haven't seen the sneaker design yet, but what is the largest size that you plan to order at the factory?
And yes, shortwing look very promising!!!
Sneakers will come in full sizes only, so that will give me a bit more leeway to order larger sizes. I plan to go up to 11UK at least.

Fact is that at a certain point, sizes 6 to 12 (at least) will become RTW. At the moment however, this is purely a cashflow problem. Small businesses' bottleneck is dead inventory.

Last edited:

Vadim T

Reaction score
A new one ;).
Are these the last I'm waiting for?:bounce2:
Sneakers will come in full sizes only, so that will give me a bit more leeway to order larger sizes. I plan to go up to 11UK at least.
Please remind me where you made the last for sneakers?
Italian shoe brands are very variable in size.
11UK they'll be too small for me.
Adidas, Nike, I wear 12UK, but I had Italian shoes 11UK that were big to me, I also bought Italian size 12 sneakers as the manufacturer stated, they were too small for me.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are these the last I'm waiting for?:bounce2:

Please remind me where you made the last for sneakers?
Italian shoe brands are very variable in size.
11UK they'll be too small for me.
Adidas, Nike, I wear 12UK, but I had Italian shoes 11UK that were big to me, I also bought Italian size 12 sneakers as the manufacturer stated, they were too small for me.
Yes, that’s the one.

Last has been made by Springline. UK sizing will be in line with CP, for example.

Vadim T

Reaction score
Vegetable tanned tumbled calf leather from Badalassi Carlo. Will also have a vegetable tanned leather lining, and vegetable tanned double leather sole. I'm moving towards chromium-free tanned leathers for this new project I'm working on (suedes and calf leather).
Yes, that’s the one.
It will be GMTO?
Or did you do it for fun?

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It will be GMTO?
Or did you do it for fun?
Good question. It's not just for fun, it's the direction I will be heading for the entire brand, eventually. It's a long story, and I'm sure I'll post the the entire story one day, but let's say that I would like to produce a more sustainable, affordable and transparent alternative to what a lot of high street brands are offering these days.

This particular wingtip derby is part of a series of shoes on the newly developed round last. All these samples use vegetable chrome-free tanned leather, and overall more durable materials. Packaging, presentation and price will also be in line with this new approach.

As with everything, these things cost a lot of money to develop, and even more money to launch. So far, I have bootstrapped Sons of Henrey, and that turned out very well. But this particular line of shoes demands a higher volume. I have contacted a number of investors here in Belgium (private and public) that might help me with the launch.

But before the actual launch, the entire new line up (shoes and sneakers) will be available to pre-order, as a kind of product based crowdfunding. The more pre-orders I can gather, the better I can negotiate with these potential investors.

A full veg tanned leather shoes would be very interesting. When will it be available for purchase? Looks like Im going to buy my first SoH shoe.
Great to hear that you might be interested! Please see my explanation above. The crowdfunder should appear online at the end of February, and will run for a little over 1.5 months.

What is the extact color of those wingtips?
The tannery calls it Tobacco, perhaps I'll use that name, perhaps not. To me it's darker than Tobacco.

Last edited:

Notch

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Before I go into this, who of you would be interested in learning more about the financials behind this new project? Because when I talk about potential investors, larger volumes etc. it is all quite vague. I'd be happy to write some numbers down if anyone's interested.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.