• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sons of Henrey - Shoes of timeless elegance - Official Affiliate Thread

wdrenth

Reaction score
George STD in English Grain arrived! The leather has really something special
(a quick shot with the phone-- will try to make daylight pictures in a couple of days)

View attachment 1277444
Finally had time (and light) to make some snapshots of the STD English Grain 'in action'. The almond last remains very well developed and balanced.
The shoes go well with the somewhat drab winter weather we currently have in the Netherlands and seems quite resilient. I think the leather will age nicely, and develop character
rsz_20200103_110126.jpg

rsz_20200103_110212_2.jpg

rsz_20200103_123806_2.jpg

RickyTakhar

Reaction score
@Notch Great selection of loafers! I'm interested in the black penny.

How slim would you say the waist is? I do prefer a sleek shoe with slimmer waist e.g. G&G, J Fitzpatrick etc

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
Finally had time (and light) to make some snapshots of the STD English Grain 'in action'. The almond last remains very well developed and balanced.
The shoes go well with the somewhat drab winter weather we currently have in the Netherlands and seems quite resilient. I think the leather will age nicely, and develop characterView attachment 1312444

View attachment 1312447

View attachment 1312448.
Fantastic looking pair of shoes. It a nice color pairing as well with those chinos/jeans?

Now we definitely have to get a GMTO going for a pair of either Burgundy Alpine or Inca grain almond lasted shoes (yes I know these are English grain brown shoes but the last offers nice inspiration 👌).

Boys and Girls if you are listening to this service announcement....Come one come all to the Son's of Henrey late fall......GMTO in the handsewn apron upper 😉.

wdrenth

Reaction score
Following the previous post, and some routine maintenance, a line-up of four models of SoH that I wear on a regular basis.

Back row:
left: Austerity brogues on soft square last, right: George STD on almond last, both in brown vegano..
Front row:
left: George STD on the almond last in English grain, right: the Harvey in dark brown vegano on soft square last
Both STD are in size 8.5, the others in size 8. I guess an austerity brogue on a grained type of leather (Inca?) in a Burgundy kind of colour on the elegant round last would be a nice addition.

SoH_lineup.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
I guess an austerity brogue on a grained type of leather (Inca?) in a Burgundy kind of colour on the elegant round last would be a nice addition.
You are speaking my language brother. An Inca grain would be sweet. I say Almond. You say Round. We both say Burgundy. At the end, I say let's get something going.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on the sizing for round last as compared to almond. I tried almond in my regular size (same as carmina rain, C&J 325 etc.) but I needed more space both length and breadth wise. For those who have tried both round and almond last, do you suggest I go up for round last as well?
Also, anyone else feel like almond last fits smaller than carmina rain, C&J 325 etc.?
I know sizing advice over internet is finicky, but looking for some data points to make an educated guess!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on the sizing for round last as compared to almond. I tried almond in my regular size (same as carmina rain, C&J 325 etc.) but I needed more space both length and breadth wise. For those who have tried both round and almond last, do you suggest I go up for round last as well?
Also, anyone else feel like almond last fits smaller than carmina rain, C&J 325 etc.?
I know sizing advice over internet is finicky, but looking for some data points to make an educated guess!
I bought my first pair of Almond lasted shoes recently, so unfortunately I can not speak for the round last. I can answer your question regarding your query concerning similarity with other brands.

I own the Rain, C&J, amongst others. For me, I really like the fit of the SoH. It fits right on par with C&J and Carlos Santos. To clarify that further, I seem to have the same amount of width and length as those other brands when I wear the shoe.
The Rain pretty much fits me like the SoH seems to fit you. I could use more width, and length on that last.

I also find the Almond last is good for my instep (high instep & arches). A shoe like the Alden Barrie, and AE 5 are troublesome.

wdrenth

Reaction score
I wear the STD on almond last in size 8.5. This fits well, sometimes with a half insole (dependent on socks, but also weather / temperature that leads to somewhat bigger / smaller feet). Maybe I should try a size 8 next time. For the Soft Square I wear size 8, which fits also well.
For the Elegant Round, I started the journey with 8.5 as well, but that was not good. Next came a size 8, but also too roomy. Now I have a Archie (austerity brogue) in suede in 7.5 which fits very good.
Tom once explained to me that the EG last offers more volume compared to the Almond and Square lasts. Hence also my decision size down.

Hope this helps.

Kangnamstyles

Reaction score
I would suggest you send a PM to Tom, he is very helpful in offering sizing guidance. I take the same size in both the almond (George STD) and round (chukka). The almond definitely felt less voluminous in terms of width and vamp area. I didn't really notice a difference in terms of length.

theh00d

Reaction score
Are the suede tassel loafers going to be GMTO only or will there be regular stock in the near future?

Anyway can't wait to see the pics.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my first pair of Almond lasted shoes recently, so unfortunately I can not speak for the round last. I can answer your question regarding your query concerning similarity with other brands.

I own the Rain, C&J, amongst others. For me, I really like the fit of the SoH. It fits right on par with C&J and Carlos Santos. To clarify that further, I seem to have the same amount of width and length as those other brands when I wear the shoe.
The Rain pretty much fits me like the SoH seems to fit you. I could use more width, and length on that last.

I also find the Almond last is good for my instep (high instep & arches). A shoe like the Alden Barrie, and AE 5 are troublesome.
I wear the STD on almond last in size 8.5. This fits well, sometimes with a half insole (dependent on socks, but also weather / temperature that leads to somewhat bigger / smaller feet). Maybe I should try a size 8 next time. For the Soft Square I wear size 8, which fits also well.
For the Elegant Round, I started the journey with 8.5 as well, but that was not good. Next came a size 8, but also too roomy. Now I have a Archie (austerity brogue) in suede in 7.5 which fits very good.
Tom once explained to me that the EG last offers more volume compared to the Almond and Square lasts. Hence also my decision size down.

Hope this helps.
I would suggest you send a PM to Tom, he is very helpful in offering sizing guidance. I take the same size in both the almond (George STD) and round (chukka). The almond definitely felt less voluminous in terms of width and vamp area. I didn't really notice a difference in terms of length.
thanks guys , I appreciate all the advice and help. I also reached out to Tom and he suggested to stick with UK9.5 asthe round last offers more volume. This is also evident from some of your experience suggesting against size up on round last. Hope it works out , as I really like the price quality ratio and unique leather offerings from SOH

Meyboom

Reaction score
@Notch Can the sole options of the GMTO's still be debated? I might be interested in the walnut museum Frank derby, but would prefer it with half rubber sole. I know having them toppied is an option but I prefer factory installed rubber soles.

Braid

Reaction score
@Notch Can the sole options of the GMTO's still be debated? I might be interested in the walnut museum Frank derby, but would prefer it with half rubber sole. I know having them toppied is an option but I prefer factory installed rubber soles.
I would directly go with Dainite to maximize longevity and ease of use.
Interested in understanding if it's an option

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 56 17.7%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.1%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%