1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Sons of Henrey - Goodyear Welted Footwear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CanadaCal, Oct 11, 2018.

1. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

Full disclosure, I have been following/waiting for this launch for a while, I don't see a thread, and unless SOH decides to be an affiliate, I thought I'd start the discussion...

This just popped up in my inbox and I thought I would share. The few models released look excellent, and after a bit of reading, it gets even better for me.

https://sonsofhenrey.com/collections/shoes

What really attracts me to this is "narrower waist and heel" across the lasts. Lasts are basic, and nice. I have been after a narrower heel for a long time, with a normal forefoot, and something that doesn't have a coffin toebox. Will these be it?

Tanneries look top notch and the RTW models look promising, and at an excellent value.

GMTO appears to be possible with some nice leather options! Navy Utah & English Grain :)

I know this sounds like a paid fanboy add, I can assure you it is not, I don't play that game. I have no affiliation what so ever, although If you've been anticipating the launch you know who owns the brand.

I am just excited for the possibilities of a good fit for feet like mine, and many others who have shared the same fit inconsistencies in other threads I have had discussions with in the past. @Newcomer

2. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

Who owns the brand?

3. WildBlueYonder

WildBlueYonder Active Member

Web design looks very close to Jeeves, seeing that they're doing a Vass liquidation sale, I would assume that these shoes will replace them.

Also, reverse calf at 365 euros? That's quite something.

4. CanadaCal

5. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

Power of cutting out the middleman, haha.

6. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

They look nice. Hopefully they become an affiliate. Would love to see some more options from them too.

7. NoNameNecessary

NoNameNecessary Senior Member

330 USD excluding VAT, so Yanko or CS price. I thought they would be hand welted and Vass quality

8. Flake

Flake Distinguished Member

Already talking with Notch on a potential MTO Chelsea boot! I like what I see already.

9. CanadaCal

Wouldn’t you just buy Vass then? Or EB?

I’d assume 330USD appeals to a much wider audience.
    And it looks as if the finishing and materials are superseding the price range.

10. WhyUEarly

WhyUEarly Senior Member

Assuming they fit like the Vass Italian lasts, I'm itching for a Navy Utah field boot pattern with a Ridgeway sole.

11. CanadaCal

I’m in on that. Been looking for one myself

12. WhyUEarly

WhyUEarly Senior Member

At $330 USD retail, I'm not sure you can get handwelting for a shoe made in Europe. The price is competitive with Yanko, CS, TLB, Lof & tung etc. So we'll see how this new brand stands out from the crowd.

13. WhyUEarly

WhyUEarly Senior Member

seriously, it's kinda annoying how hard it is to find Ridgeway soles or Vibram Fighter soles even MTO. Dainite is ok, but i feel it's useless on ice and snow. So I'm very happy to see Sons of Henrey offer that.

14. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior Member

I actually had a pair of Adelaides made by Tom when the shoes were still in production. I took the same size as I do in my Carolina Rains, and the classic last on the SOH shoes feel more roomy in the forefoot.

Otherwise, the craftsmanship is excellent and the value is there. I am not sure where the leather was sourced for the pair that was made for mine, but it feels on par to my Yankos and a step down from my Carminas.

15. NoNameNecessary

NoNameNecessary Senior Member

Probably because I do not like trying new things. I was really hope they can create a outlier for price or quality. Like hand welted shoes for $400, otherwise I would just stick with what I know, Yanko, Carmina. I'd rather let other people try them first and listen to their feedbacks, rather than test something I do not know. Switching to a new brand has potential cost, why would I switch if nothing spectacular?