• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sons of Erin - travel question.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm planning a week-long trip to Ireland in mid July. Couple of days in Dublin then travel across and down. Would like an Aran sweater, some fly fishing, breakfast, and a couple of great cliffs hikes.

cliffs-of-moher.jpg

Any thoughts?

lefty

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I'm planning a week-long trip to Ireland in mid July. Couple of days in Dublin then travel across and down. Would like an Aran sweater, some fly fishing, breakfast, and a couple of great cliffs hikes.

cliffs-of-moher.jpg

Any thoughts?

lefty

Based on your pic, the Cliffs of Moher are an excellent stop. You might also check out the Ring of Kerry - I know it's a spectacular drive, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were hiking trails around it or shooting off from it as well.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. The Kerry drive is on my list. Right now I'm looking for two days at a flyfishing lodge alongside a sweet brown trout river.

lefty

Stokely

Reaction score
They are amazing. I also recommend the drive or bike. Have fun. I'm headed there in august. Can't wait!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I had intended to spend 1 day in Inis Meáin, but now maybe an overnight trip.

pic-r-about.jpg
pic-r-suites.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What to do in Dublin? I will be there for a day on my own then two days with my wife.

Do I want to stay in the Temple District or will partying kids drive me batshit crazy?

lefty

samus

Reaction score
What to do in Dublin? I will be there for a day on my own then two days with my wife. Do I want to stay in the Temple District or will partying kids drive me batshit crazy? lefty
Dublin's not all that large, so I would definitely say don't limit yourself to Temple Bar. It wasn't that rowdy when I was there, but I can't vouch for its typical circumstances. Otherwise, what are your tastes? - If you like drinking, visit the Guinness Brewery and the Jameson Distillery. - There's obviously plenty of history around. Dublin Castle, the Four Courts, Christ Church Cathedral, etc. Dublinia Medieval/viking museum was somewhat interesting. - Phoenix Park if you actually get good weather - Trinity College campus & Book of Kells - I remember being pleasantly surprised with the National Gallery - Nearby the National Gallery is "Government Buildings" - very descriptive - which is where the office of the Taoiseach (PM) is. I lucked into a tour at the right time and it was pretty neat. - If you're into sports (or, I suppose, sad Irish history) you might swing by Croke Park and see if there's a hurling, Gaelic football or rugby match on. Have fun!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samus
Dublin's not all that large, so I would definitely say don't limit yourself to Temple Bar. It wasn't that rowdy when I was there, but I can't vouch for its typical circumstances. Otherwise, what are your tastes?

- If you like drinking, visit the Guinness Brewery and the Jameson Distillery.
- There's obviously plenty of history around. Dublin Castle, the Four Courts, Christ Church Cathedral, etc. Dublinia Medieval/viking museum was somewhat interesting.
- Phoenix Park if you actually get good weather
- Trinity College campus & Book of Kells
- I remember being pleasantly surprised with the National Gallery
- Nearby the National Gallery is "Government Buildings" - very descriptive - which is where the office of the Taoiseach (PM) is. I lucked into a tour at the right time and it was pretty neat.
- If you're into sports (or, I suppose, sad Irish history) you might swing by Croke Park and see if there's a hurling, Gaelic football or rugby match on.

Have fun!

Thanks. All good suggestions. My tastes are: whiskey, linen, red-headed women and ancient cathedrals.

lefty

samus

Reaction score
Thanks. All good suggestions. My tastes are: whiskey, linen, red-headed women and ancient cathedrals.

lefty

My advice: get lots of (1) and (3) and try to end up in (2), NOT (4).
laugh.gif

Racing Green

Reaction score
Do not stay in Temple Bar whatever you do. No harm having a wander around with all the other tourists but staying there would be a nightmare.

Check out the Jameson distillery across the river in Smithfield - http://maps.google.ie/maps/place?hl=...ed=0CBsQqgUwAA

For linen, tweed etc there are lots of shops on Nassau Street all catering to the tourist trade. Better off waiting until you get out West for a more genuine experience.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, but I have a hotel for Dublin. Need a special place for dinner.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads