• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sonicare?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for Sonicare. I had an oral B and it was ok but my dentist says that sonicare is the best...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I got the flexcare limited edition kit with two brushes, sanitizer, extra charger the works and I will never go back to manual again.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Flexcare. I was a diehard manual toothbrush fan using those natural bristle Swissco toothbrushes, then I switched to Sonicare because my wife got one for me as a present. Won't go back to manual again, this gets all the plaque out even under my permanent retainer bar.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a sonicare and I swear by it. In fact, I'd say it's one of my best investments. Got it off ebay for about $100 or so. I went overseas for about 6 months and it's one of the things I missed not having with me most. You'll definately notice a difference in how clean your teeth look and feel.

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Ok, but what's the product line from the highest end to lowest?

I don't think anybody's done a review of all the latest products in a single study; it would be too costly. However, based on what I've read I think it would look something like:

1. Sonicare Flexcare and Oral-B Triumph tied
3. Waterpik Sensonic
4. Oral-B ProfessionalCare
5. Sonicare Elite
6. Oral-B Sonic Complete
7. Sonicare Advance

Not sure where Sonicare Healthywhite and Oral-B CrossAction (powered) lie on that scale. Oh, one more thing, it's still very important to floss or irrigate and use mouthwash.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Highly recommended...The key to electric toothbrushes is the timer. It forces you to brush for 2 minutes. This almost never happens if you are doing it yourself.
+1

My dentist told me the same thing. My first Sonicare even sounded a signal every 30 seconds that told me when it was time to switch to brushing a different section of my mouth. Make sure you get a model that does that. I recently replaced my first Sonicare after many. many years of use, but I was careless and didn't get one with the timer. I really miss that feature.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The replacement bristles for the Triumph are outrageously priced though. I get the CVS brand. Probably not as good, but comparable to the brushes that were sold by Oral-B when the Triumph first came out. Now, the Triumph replacements look more like actual toothbrushes rather than a small rotating disk with bristles on it.

mikej77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
didn't know Ultreo went out of business. No wonder the replacement heads are so expensive.

Yes, I was about to purchase a replacement head on Amazon and noticed they were $62. I said the hell with it and just bought the Sonicare.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to use the Rotadent back in the day. The Triumph is wayyy better.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they completely waterproof? I usually brush my teeth in the shower.

Also, I had bought one of those disposable AA-battery operated toothbrushes in the past, but found that nasty gunk would get into the plug where you stick the brush into the handle, do these higher end ones experience the same issues?

rxcats

Reaction score
I have been using Sonicare for about 10 years now. My teeth just don't feel clean without it. I tended to scrub my teeth too hard with a manuel tooth brush, but not for enough duration. I ended up causing some recession of my gums. With the Sonicare, there is not guessing how long to brush; I lightly apply the vibrating brush against my teeth/gums and let it do all the work. Right now (until March 1st) you can get the Sonicare Essence at Costco for $20.00 off with coupon. That includes two handles and 4 brush heads. It comes to $79.99 with discount. I am buying a new one. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11293700

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Are they completely waterproof? I usually brush my teeth in the shower. Also, I had bought one of those disposable AA-battery operated toothbrushes in the past, but found that nasty gunk would get into the plug where you stick the brush into the handle, do these higher end ones experience the same issues?
My Oral B from about 4 years ago is completely waterproof. I am pretty sure Sonicare is too. They charge via a weird coupling which goes directly through plastic.
Originally Posted by farfisa23
This model has a timer that 'dings!' when it is time to switch quadrants in your mouth and it's only 80 bucks from Costco.
Yep mine does too, the motor pauses for a split second every 30 seconds. Works great. I think it's a pretty standard feature now. Another great feature: I have taken my toothbrush WITHOUT a charger for vacations of 2, 3 weeks. It is a little slower towards the end but it can go 2 weeks easily on a full charge.

breakdown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
didn't know Ultreo went out of business. No wonder the replacement heads are so expensive.

Wow thanks for the heads up. I did a quick scan and saw that Amazon's ultreo heads are up to 50 bucks each now, so I quickly re-ordered 4 from drugstore.com at $34.99.

I've only had my ultreo for a year so I don't want to switch yet. Once these run out I'll get something else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads