1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Songs where the cover is better than the original

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by auto90403, Feb 23, 2007.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

And speaking of the clash and reggae, (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais, is one of my favorites.

I think the best cover of Waltzing Matilda is by Makem & Clancy. I also love their willie mcbride.

I'm really torn on the Orbison vs Rondstadt versions of Blue Bayou as both have great merit.

Hammersmith Palais is probably my favorite song of all times. The Clash have been my favorite group since I first heard them in my brothers car in 1980.

2. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Distinguished Member

Rare Essence - Pieces of Me [Ashley Simpson] (go-go - ask someone from DC about it)

pm me if you want to hear it.

3. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Distinguished Member

Concrete Blond: Little Wing (ok, this one's debateable)

While I respect any reference to Concrete Blond, the Stevie Ray Vaughn cover of 'Little Wing" is the best cover of the song and possibly the better version in general. However, Hendrix's take on "Along the Watchtower" is much better than the Dylan original IMHO.

4. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Distinguished Member

5. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Hammersmith Palais is probably my favorite song of all times. The Clash have been my favorite group since I first heard them in my brothers car in 1980.

I can't believe that I forgot about "Pressure Drop"...[​IMG] [​IMG]

I can still remember the first time I heard the Clash too. "Career Opportunities" in 1979 and things have never been quite the same.

6. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Distinguished Member

Their "Police On My Back" is amazing as well.

I AM willing to concede that Jimi's "Watchtower" is probably the definitive version, but both have their appeal; his is bigger, while Dylan's is more...ominous, I guess.

And another one for the "brilliant but not necessarily better" category: the New York Dolls' "Pills" is three minutes of rock n' roll perfection.

7. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

i'm not sure this works since it is a traditional song, but i haven't heard a better version than patty water's take on "black is the color of my true love's hair"; actually, the only other version i've heard is nina simone's.

8. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Distinguished Member

I can't believe that I forgot about "Pressure Drop"...[​IMG] [​IMG]

I can still remember the first time I heard the Clash too. "Career Opportunities" in 1979 and things have never been quite the same.

Did the elevator, go up?

9. itsstillmatt

I can't believe that I forgot about "Pressure Drop"...[​IMG] [​IMG] I can still remember the first time I heard the Clash too. "Career Opportunities" in 1979 and things have never been quite the same.
    Yeah, every time I start listening to "The Clash" or "London Calling" can't decide on which songs are my favorites. I have never been able to choose between the two albums. Black Market Clash is good, but not in the same league to me.

10. vaclava krishna

Yeah, every time I start listening to "The Clash" or "London Calling" can't decide on which songs are my favorites. I have never been able to choose between the two albums.

Black Market Clash is good, but not in the same league to me.

Do you have some, giant hits discotec albums ?

11. itsstillmatt

Do you have some, giant hits discotec albums ?
    yes, i have, some disco,but, my wife has, more. V, do you shake, your groovy thing?

12. vaclava krishna

yes, i have, some disco,but, my wife has, more. V, do you shake, your groovy thing?
    No Iam, on the dancefloor, I lurk to the side ,with 1 foot against the wall . As in person, I feel much more timid. Sometimes on SF I can be free, and groovy as I imagine, but perhaps, it;s not here, it dissappear.

13. itsstillmatt

No Iam, on the dancefloor, I lurk to the side ,with 1 foot against the wall . As in person, I feel much more timid. Sometimes on SF I can be free, and groovy as I imagine, but perhaps, it;s not here, it dissappear.
    I, too am not so groovy, on the dance floor. Sometimes when, I am feeling good, l prefer to shake, my moneymaker not my groovy, thing. That is the way, uh huh, in which I, like it. On the dance floor I, hope that your groov,e returns. Perhaps one of the, nationalists, would like to get down, tonight.

14. countdemoney

countdemoney Distinguished Member

Always nice to hear clash stories.

Perhaps not a better cover, but a very notable one was Pearl Jam covering the who's "Baba O'Riley" on the yield tour. Really great homage.

Stevie Nick's covering Tom Petty's "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" makes you buckle with the weight of the words.

15. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Distinguished Member

Couple more under "dumb but fun":

Joan Jett's "Crimson and Clover" and Oasis's "Cum On Feel the Noize".