• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Songs that make you cry

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
+1

Pachelbel's Canon, Barber's Adagio for Strings.

Few songs with lyrics convey the emotion that Barber does in Adagio without a single word.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I make songs cry, not the other way around.

That being said... Peal Jam - Last Kiss and others of its ilk (Tell Laura I Love Her, etc.) as well as Gary Jules' Mad World from the Donnie Darko soundtrack are very emotional songs.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Stuck in my head right now - it doesn't make me cry necessarily, but if I had to cry for some reason, I'd reach for Perfect Day by Lou Reed. I don't care if it's supposedly about heroin or whatever, I think of similar days with people gone by.
confused.gif

Just a perfect day
Drink sangria in the park
And then later, when it gets dark, we'll go home
Just a perfect day
Feed animals in the zoo
Then later a movie too, and then home

[Chorus:]
Oh it's such a perfect day
I'm glad I spent it with you
Oh such a perfect day
You just keep me hanging on x2

Just a perfect day
Problems all left alone
Weekenders on our own
It's such fun

Just a perfect day
You make me forget myself
I thought I was someone else
Someone good

[Chorus]

You're going to reap just what you sow

Also, "Always See Your Face" by Love would be on that playlist.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Stuck in my head right now - it doesn't make me cry necessarily, but if I had to cry for some reason, I'd reach for Perfect Day by Lou Reed. I don't care if it's supposedly about heroin or whatever, I think of similar days with people gone by.
confused.gif

You ever seen the BBC ad of the song?:

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
You ever seen the BBC ad of the song?:

That's awful. Wow. That guy who says "someone good. Yeeah." I want to punch him. How could they do that? I stopped it right after that guy.

I would dig a Bowie cover of it though.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Dearest Love" by L'Arc en Ciel came up on my random playlist, made me well up just a bit. It is my favorite song to do Karaoke to my girl to. Depressed me just a bit more than I already am. I had a really good week/weekend, now Im coming down from that high.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bernadette Peters singing Other Lady live on "Sondheim, etc., etc., etc."

it's about a women who's husband is cheating on her. At one point you can just hear the depseration in her voice as she tries to put on a brave face and suggests that if they met in the street maybe they'd be friends. It is heart-wrenching.

And how anyone cannot appreciate Patti LuPone singing Being Alive (or virtually anything really) is beyond me. Some people have absolutley no taste. That performance at Carnegie is brilliant--I've watched it and listened to it a million times.

bob

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Bernadette Peters singing Other Lady live on "Sondheim, etc., etc., etc."

it's about a women who's husband is cheating on her. At one point you can just hear the depseration in her voice as she tries to put on a brave face and suggests that if they met in the street maybe they'd be friends. It is heart-wrenching.

And how anyone cannot appreciate Patti LuPone singing Being Alive (or virtually anything really) is beyond me. Some people have absolutley no taste. That performance at Carnegie is brilliant--I've watched it and listened to it a million times.

bob

Bob---a man after my own heart. Bernadette's "Sondheim" specials always feature mind-blowing renditions of some great tunes, but Other Lady was absolutely amazing.

Will you be seeing Patti in "Gypsy" this summer? I'm about to pick up tickets for a July performance. Can't ******* wait.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Connie: bob's married (or at least engaged) to a WOMAN. Leave him alone.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Connie: bob's married (or at least engaged) to a WOMAN. Leave him alone.

Gah, my line gives the wrong impression. I didn't mean for it to sound so overtly homosexual.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Bob---a man after my own heart. Bernadette's "Sondheim" specials always feature mind-blowing renditions of some great tunes, but Other Lady was absolutely amazing.

Will you be seeing Patti in "Gypsy" this summer? I'm about to pick up tickets for a July performance. Can't ******* wait.

Speaking of Bernadette. My wife and I were married on a Friday, saw Bernadette the next night, and then left for our honeymoon on Sunday afternoon. We planned around her show.

I'm afraid I won't be seeing PL. I really wanted to see her in Sweeny Todd, but I think our timing was just off or something on our last trip to NYC. I think the show closed just before we went or she was leaving just before--something like that, anyway we saw 25th Annual Putnam Co. Spelling Bee instead. Great show.

My preference for Sondheim is actually for his quirky songs like Barcelona, Could I Leave You, The Little Things You Do Together (probably my favorite) and the like.

b

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Last Emperor, Poetic - One Life

Poetic speaks about his cancer. He died shortly after the song.

Entire Sigur Ros () Album

J Ralph - Million Mile Aways

Beck - Lonesome Tears

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads