• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Son of a Preacher Man

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dusty Springfield Tina Turner Compare and contrast. As a footnote, apparently the song was written for, or at least offered first to, Aretha Franklin who turned it down. After Dusty Springfield turned it into a huge hit, Aretha recorded her own version. It is available on You Tube but I haven't bothered to include it here because it is not very good. Mods: Please fix the title.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's funny, just this week I was comparing these two versions of this song. To me, there is absolutely no contest. Some classic songs need to exist only in their most pure versions, and I think that after Dusty nobody else should have been allowed to sing it. Her voice, look and attitude combine to make this song a classic. While Tina sings it well, it loses the mixture mischief and naivete that you get listening to and watching Dusty. FWIW, while not Dusty, Joss Stone sings it better IMO than Tina Turner. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBH8o...eature=related

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It's funny, just this week I was comparing these two versions of this song. To me, there is absolutely no contest. Some classic songs need to exist only in their most pure versions, and I think that after Dusty nobody else should have been allowed to sing it. Her voice, look and attitude combine to make this song a classic. While Tina sings it well, it loses the mixture mischief and naivete that you get listening to and watching Dusty. FWIW, while not Dusty, Joss Stone sings it better IMO than Tina Turner. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBH8o...eature=related
You sound like an unsophisticated version of my eight year old.
smile.gif
Being familiar with the Springfield version, she also started to scowl at Turner's stylization in the beginning. But then her eyes went wide when Turner's voice dropped and turned to a throaty purr at "That's when Billy would take me walking". She was hooked and started dancing around the room. BTW, I happen to agree with you, though, and prefer the Springfield version. But part of it is because of the way I can see her smiling at the just the right points - the "mixture [of] mischief and naivete" as you say. But the Turner version only has stills, not live movement, so it is an unfair comparison for me. And I do like it a lot. The Joss Stone version is pretty good, but it is not as good as the original and without anything different to offer. It seems like little more than a do-over, so why bother. There is a great version from Joan Osborne that I bought on iTunes and have somehow lost track of. You may not like it as much as the original, but you should at least enjoy a more individual interpretation, and one that just smokes. If you do listen to it, note the length - it is more than twice that of the original and Osborne goes off in her own direction for a bit, which is the point of admission. But I will always agree with you that the original sparkles a little brighter than the others.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ahhh... Dusty has one of the all time great voices.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
So you pick a Tina Turner fight while Conne is in timeout....you *****
smile.gif
Kabbaz is flying him to your neighborhood right now. There will be blood.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dustys version is an iconic song of the late 60s.

I don't want to date myself but I saw her do it live and she was fantastic.

For some reason some of her songs remind me of iconic Righteous Brothers classics.

I saw the Righteous Brothers live at the Basin St. East in NYC, but that was many years ago. It might have been on the same show with Dusty. Everybody was smoking weed back then, and memories are elusive.

BTW: If you like to match versions of a classic somg, try All Along the Watchtower by Dylan and Hendrix. That would be a great comparison for a thread. I saw both of them (not together) do the song in the Fillmore East in the late 60s, early 70s. Great times!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of cover versions of famous songs, I was listening to "Fancy" originally sung by Bobbie Gentry, and then I also heard the Reba version. Whilst the Reba version is not bad, the Gentry version is far more subtle.

It also remind me of "Fever" by Peggy Lee, and the version by Sarah Vaughan

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Dustys version is an iconic song of the late 60s.

I don't want to date myself but I saw her do it live and she was fantastic.

For some reason some of her songs remind me of iconic Righteous Brothers classics.

I saw the Righteous Brothers live at the Basin St. East in NYC, but that was many years ago. It might have been on the same show with Dusty. Everybody was smoking weed back then, and memories are elusive.

BTW: If you like to match versions of a classic somg, try All Along the Watchtower by Dylan and Hendrix. That would be a great comparison for a thread. I saw both of them (not together) do the song in the Fillmore East in the late 60s, early 70s. Great times!

I think I am familiar with both, and without checking, I believe they are entirely different songs (meaning the different renditions change everything). In my opinion, Hendrix's version is great and Dylan's is an also ran. What I liked about the Son of a Preacher A Man comparison is that both Springfield and Turner were delivering the same song in more or less the same style, but the subtle differences in delivery made for a slightly different feel. Hard to like one and not the other even if you have a preference. With All Along the Watchtower, it is easier to like one and not care for the other.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Comparing Dusty and Tina singing "Preacher Man" is like comparing Ali and Frazier in the ring. In this case, Dusty is clearly Ali; Tina = Frazier.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Dustys version is an iconic song of the late 60s. I don't want to date myself but I saw her do it live and she was fantastic. For some reason some of her songs remind me of iconic Righteous Brothers classics. I saw the Righteous Brothers live at the Basin St. East in NYC, but that was many years ago. It might have been on the same show with Dusty. Everybody was smoking weed back then, and memories are elusive. BTW: If you like to match versions of a classic somg, try All Along the Watchtower by Dylan and Hendrix. That would be a great comparison for a thread. I saw both of them (not together) do the song in the Fillmore East in the late 60s, early 70s. Great times!
Funny you bring up the Righteous Brothers in a Dusty Springfield conversation; just the other day a friend and I were discussing both of them in terms of the "blue-eyed soul" label often applied to them: isn't the label just as patronizing as referring to Jessye Norman operatic recordings as 'brown-skinned classical music'?
inlove.gif
Dusty rocks. SOAPM is great of course, but I must confess to having a soft spot in my heart for the bubble-gum pop that is "I Only Want to Be With You".

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
. . . just the other day a friend and I were discussing both of them in terms of the "blue-eyed soul" label often applied to them: isn't the label just as patronizing as referring to Jessye Norman operatic recordings as 'brown-skinned classical music'?
. . .

Take that reverse racism stuff over to the CE forum.
laugh.gif

Before you do, check out Dusty on Can I get a Witness on You Tube.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I'm not voting until you post Conne's version.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads