• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Somewhere, Sator is crying

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but more importantly, which is it, black vest or gray vest?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Gray.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next she'll have judges turning up in jeans...

Has anyone got any pictures of women in tails though? I can imagine it looking a bit strange. Maybe a sensible female alternative would be reasonable rather than abolishing it completely?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would think that the thing that would make Sator cry is the fact that some idiot dressed, or ever considered dressing up a woman in men's formal daywear in the first place. Cross dressing should never have been part of court protocol and shouldn't be today. That said it would be a sad thing indeed if it were eliminated for formal presentations before the court by men.

What needs to happen is an evolution in women's professional dress that includes all levels of professional formality. What is more likely to be done is to simply do away with the morning coat as the author suggests.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they in fact wear morning coats or frock coats? I believe the author of the article seems not to realize that they are quite distinct and different garments.

Agree that it seems quite ridiculous to have women dressing in men's formal daywear.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Do they in fact wear morning coats or frock coats? I believe the author of the article seems not to realize that they are quite distinct and different garments.

Agree that it seems quite ridiculous to have women dressing in men's formal daywear.

It's a morning coat.

Morgan

Reaction score
I think that point is not so much that the clothing is archaic as that it's hopelessly gendered. You can't suggest a sensible female alternative because there is none, unless it's an off-the-shoulder gown. Morning dress is still okay for non-professional purposes like weddings and, uh ... weddings. But in the 21st century morning dress is a costume, and it's so distinctively masculine as to make it clear that the solicitor general is a man's job. A sensible female alternative would be a very conservative modern pantsuit or skirt suit, neither of which existed when morning dress was standard court attire outside the Supreme Court. If you allow that, then what's to keep the next male solicitor general from wearing a modern conservative business suit? Tradition no longer exerts its restraint once you've allowed women to go modern. But you can't keep women in archaic men's clothing either, because it's ridiculous on its face.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe male/female barristers in England wear the same outfits to court...

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Tradition no longer exerts its restraint once you've allowed women to go modern.
Yes it does, just not as a strict rule. 30 years is too short for a decent new form to be derived from the old traditions and accepted. Women's wear steals liberally from distinctly masculine wear. Give it time- another 20 years or so.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I would think that the thing that would make Sator cry is the fact that some idiot dressed, or ever considered dressing up a woman in men's formal daywear in the first place. Cross dressing should never have been part of court protocol and shouldn't be today. That said it would be a sad thing indeed if it were eliminated for formal presentations before the court by men.

What needs to happen is an evolution in women's professional dress that includes all levels of professional formality. What is more likely to be done is to simply do away with the morning coat as the author suggests.

+1

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Underneath their gowns? Really?

Never heard of Knight of the garter..?
devil.gif

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, anybody know what Scalia's avatar is on SF? Manton?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics