• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Somewhat newbie question: Help me understand bootcut

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i myself wear straightleg jeans or slight taper jeans on the more fitted side (aka 8" knee and bottom), but nothing too extreme. however i'm beginning to see the merits of a very slight bootcut, let's say 8" at the knee to 8.5" at the bottom. this will make it fit over my shoes/boots just that much better, creating less stacking and breaking and makes it have a lot more "flow." for a shorter guy like myself with big legs, it's important for this to happen so my legs seem as long as possible.

Synrax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
I own two pair of 5EP LDB and they are the most perfectly cut jean for me in the leg. They have a slim knee at 8" and an almost imperceptible flare to 8.5" at the hem. Of course if I'm wearing jeans then there's a 75% chance I'm wearing boots, so I can appreciate it more. A pair of New Standards would look goofy with a pair of Brandos or Butteros, IMO, but fine with a sleek chelsea.

I like the 5EP LDB fit through the legs too but the top block is too big. If the back rise, front rise, and seat were 1 inch less, it'd be perfect for me.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall Jet, LA Guy, or some other "authority" saying that everyone needs a bootcut jean in their wardrobe then go on to talk about body proportions and flattering angles.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synrax
I like the 5EP LDB fit through the legs too but the top block is too big. If the back rise, front rise, and seat were 1 inch less, it'd be perfect for me.
I feel exactly the same. I wish it was just slightly more fitted in the seat and say 3/4" lower in front and maybe 1.5" in the back. The legs are perfect though.

Originally Posted by sygyzy
I seem to recall Jet, LA Guy, or some other "authority" saying that everyone needs a bootcut jean in their wardrobe then go on to talk about body proportions and flattering angles.

It's true. Guys that are fairly well built/broad shouldered with small waistlines look better in slight bootcuts than "heroin addict" skinny guys do.

unrated

Reaction score
I agree with those that say it depends on body type.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never saw a tall guy wearing bootcuts before.

Reuters

Reaction score
I have 2 Levis 517, and on rare occasions when I wear it, its with RM williams, nothing else.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
is it true, i was told that bootcuts were originally made for cowboys to wear over their boots.

is there a style that is fitted close on the top. and with a boot sized bottom but with the knee the same size as the bottom? if so what is this called?

falsestart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
is it true, i was told that bootcuts were originally made for cowboys to wear over their boots.

is there a style that is fitted close on the top. and with a boot sized bottom but with the knee the same size as the bottom? if so what is this called?

a straightleg?... i wear alot of boots with straighleg jeans. I find an 8' hem works, no need to be any larger...............

Reaction score
a tailor is describing a "boot leg" (no flare, but large at knee and leg opening), often confused with a "boot cut" (flare)

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just looked up the etymology of bootleg, and it came from hiding liquor (ie, a flask) in the leg of a high boot.

falsestart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
a tailor is describing a "boot leg" (no flare, but large at knee and leg opening), often confused with a "boot cut" (flare)

interesting, thanks-

CDC

Reaction score
as much as I'd love to say that it all comes down to classics and fit, when we get bombarded with a certain style or article of clothing, it's time to let it go, for a while at least. No matter how good a stripey polo shirt and a pair of khaki cargo pants may look on you - it doesn't matter, it's tired, (over)done and time to drop it.
Boot cut is a twist on a classic, not an actual classic itself. I don't think you could ever say jeans (classic) are 'out' but I definitely think you can (and should) with bootcut, for a good while at least. And you don't need narrow or tapered - no one looks bad in straight leg.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bootcut jeans are no longer in style, though some people do not yet realize this
Bootcut jeans will never be out of style for those who look good in them. For instance, I am 6'4/245 with really big shoulders which means bootcut jeans look by far the best on me (balances the upper body.) Relaxed straightlegs look ok, and tapered jeans look absolutely ridiculous. Wear what suits you.

I also think a properly cut pair looks great on women.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads