• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something you must learn before it's too late

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I try to avoid it! And don't even get me started on the ammo prices right now! The U.S. is using it's stocks in the ME instead of surplussing it out, so prices are so high that they've completely stopped the 20%/yr appreciation on the few legally transferable .50's in the country. Five years ago it was $1.10/rnd, in bulk. Now it's $4 in bulk and over $5 in small quantities -- just for ball, nothing exotic like APIT -- $2500 per minute if you hold the butterfly down! No way can you load up a 100 rnd belt once a year for fun. 10/rnd belts now.
frown.gif

I may never buy .50 ammo again.

~ Huntsman

I have a hollowed out .50 cal shell at home I got as a gift from a Marine Recon I know, seriously any weapon that fires .50 cal bullets is frightening.

Jon.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Yeah no kidding. I was at the Small Arms Review gunshow last weekend. Only saw one fully transferable .50 BMG M2 but it was going for $38,000+.
As was I -- drove quite a ways to see that; expected to see more. The haul out to Knob Creek is infinitely more worthwhile. Though, the Thompson display was excellent, but I know those guys and have seen it many times.
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I have a hollowed out .50 cal shell at home I got as a gift from a Marine Recon I know, seriously any weapon that fires .50 cal bullets is frightening. Jon.
It is staggeringly potent, especially for having been designed in the first World War. As an engineer, taking one apart and understanding the function is an impressive exercise. It's why it's been in service for almost 90 years. I was also shooting the single-shot, shoulder fired .50 that day. The recoil is a serious experience, but it's fortunately mitigated by a very effective muzzle brake that blows the blast backwards in a 40deg cone on either side of the shooter -- removing most things on adjacent benches. Nothing beats it for plinking hanging steel plates at 500 or 1000yds though. ~ Huntsman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads