• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something similar to the Drakes corduroy games blazer but not so outrageously expensive

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
The MK1 games blazer as reviewed by Permanent Style recently: https://www.permanentstyle.com/2022/12/drakes-corduroy-mk-i-games-blazer-review.html

I'd like something in this style but am not inclined to spend close to £1,000 - the sort of money I might spend on a full, fine-quality suit or overcoat - on a simple casual jacket!

It is just a simple corduroy jacket after all and I have seen similar things offered by the likes of Spier & McKay at well under half the price. Most of them seem to be cut fairly slim and more structured, though, whereas I am preferably after something looser and less structured like the Drakes one. Anyone got any ideas?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to pick on you specifically because this attitude is so rampant here on Styleforum, but I fail to understand why design is undervalued by so many and “quality” is so overvalued. Why is a ”fine-quality” suit so much more valuable to you than an item of clothing that you find to be attractively designed and not offered by anyone else? Many makers sell corduroy jackets but Drake’s version is different. Shouldn’t that have value?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Sure, I just think that in this particular case this jacket is over-valued. £300 - £500 would still mark this out as a premium piece of casual outerwear. For £800 I can get something which I believe has equal value as a piece of design but is also made from premium materials, a suede or leather jacket from an established heritage maker for example. It just seems like with Drakes you are expected to pay for the name (and I speak as someone who has indeed spent thousands with them).

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s a “Drake’s knockoff” thread on the CM side but I don’t think anyone has posted a games jacket alternative.

here’s a (slightly) less expensive option.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Agreed that the internet in general is too obsessed with the specter of "quality," and isn't worried enough about what actually looks good.

Also agreed that Drake's clothing just feels like it's more expensive than it should be.

I feel like they're increasing prices in conjunction with their archive sales and sample sales -- they realize that people don't buy their clothing much at full price (because it's too expensive), they put it on sale (during covid at first, but more and more once they realized they could make money selling at good prices), and they've increased base prices so they can try to make a bigger margin on sale, and from the customers willing to pay full price. And their archive sale prices aren't all fantastic, but they're accessible, they're understandable... and sometimes they're fantastic.

Buy secondhand, buy vintage Ralph, buy from sales, or save up for the Drake's pieces you really, really, really love.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What’s wrong with the spier and mackay version, it’s definitely not structured, and if you check measurements on contemporary don’t think it’s that slim

edit: the RL version is good and if you dig can probably find a jcrew version of unstructured

and Todd Snyder but think might only have DB version for something with that vibe

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of that, how about a cord pea coat, got to be just as versatile and practical (though can’t work as a sport coat in a pinch)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s wrong with the spier and mackay version, it’s definitely not structured, and if you check measurements on contemporary don’t think it’s that slim

edit: the RL version is good and if you dig can probably find a jcrew version of unstructured

and Todd Snyder but think might only have DB version for something with that vibe

the S&M jacket is half canvassed. I assume based on what I’ve read that there’s no structure at all in the Drake’s coat.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok in that sense, then look for say cord chore jacket?

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score

Let's not ignore the details. The Drake's jacket has a patch pocket at the chest, patch pockets with flaps, super light structure, a great lapel roll... The Spier jacket is nice too, but it's hardly a substitute.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would just look for cord chore jacket in general, at least I personally don't feel the Drake one is that special

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And BST had some Drake game jacket as well

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads