• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something like Spier and Mackay but in the UK/Europe.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
So several times I've seen stuff I love on here in pics, asked what it is and find out it's S+M.
Looking at their site they have some very nice things, I particularly like the look of the Donegal sports coats and flannel trousers and it's very reasonably priced, particularly during sales.
Problem is if I order it will take several weeks to get here, postage will be expensive and I will get hit with import duties that might double the cost of what I buy. It will be a hassle if I want to return something too.
So considering all their stuff is basically based off British/ European styles - are there any brands on this side of the pond that I should be looking for , for similar styles at a similar price point? The brands that do come to mind - hitting that sort of mid-level quality and price point, like Charles Tyrwhitt , Peter Christian, Hawes & Curtis don't really have many items that appeal to me. (Those are just brands I've come across while looking at mid-price classic menswear stuff, never bought from them so not sure if they are actually as good as S&M or not).

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I have no first hand experience, but from the look of my Instagram feed I get the impression that London-based Natalino fairly neatly fills an S+M shaped gap for UK shoppers.

Panama

Reaction score
I think Natalino is a lot more expensive than S&M. What products are you looking at? John Henric is similar to S&M but with less lines.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I think Natalino is a lot more expensive than S&M.

Depends on the item. S+M usually wins on price, is very generous with its sales and has a wider range of low cost basics, but when you factor in shipping and duties they're at least in the same ball park.

Panama

Reaction score
Depends on the item. S+M usually wins on price, is very generous with its sales and has a wider range of low cost basics, but when you factor in shipping and duties they're at least in the same ball park.
A White OCBD is £130.00 at Natalino. At John Henric it is £69.00 or 2 for £99.00 and at S&M they are $49.00. Quite a difference...

Panama

Reaction score
I am not necessarily knocking Natalino, that OCBD is made in Naples. S&M is probably made in China, and John Henric I would guess in Portugal. I just think the comparison is incorrect. I do think Natalino Scottish products have an excessive mark up considering they are direct to consumer.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Thanks all. Natalino looks very promising. I would say prices are definitely on a par when you take account of shipping and duties. Sale prices look good too, although no jackets on sale at the moment so not sure how they would compare.

SteveMc

Reaction score
Thanks all. Natalino looks very promising. I would say prices are definitely on a par when you take account of shipping and duties. Sale prices look good too, although no jackets on sale at the moment so not sure how they would compare.

Just to bring to your attention that S&M offers an unrivaled benefit of 50% credit on all your customs/duties charges.

Casaubon

Reaction score
I ran into an online store called House of Bruar at one point while looking for flannel trousers online and bookmarked it after seeing a lot of things that I like. There is some overlap with S&M in terms of style. Since they sell British/Scottish country clothing, you won't find any suits there, but tweeds and flannels abound. They sell different brands, but from what I've seen, the price range is similar to S&M.

Still, I haven't made any orders yet for the same reason you hesitate ordering from S&M, so I cannot tell you whether the stuff they sell is well made or not. Maybe someone here's had experience?

Panama

Reaction score
House of Bruar is one of many country clothing retailers in the UK. You have Wiliam Powell, Hume, Farley, obviously Cordings, formerly Catto Pakeman and Carter, Oliver Brown.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Cavour and Pini Parma are my usual recommendations for Europe, but certainly not as cheap as Spier on sale.

Hugo Jacomet recommends Walker Slater in this range, that's something.

I also don't have any experience with this company, but Mitchell at Menswear Musings did a review. The OP might find this post useful.

Oooh... High armholes off the rack, that's tempting...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads