• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

something like Converse All Stars made in USA?

Nizza

Reaction score

I make the decision every once in a while to get a pair of Chucks, but never go through. I think I had a pair way back when, but those are long gone. Now that I'm researching it, their not being made in America is bothersome--I'm having a hard time reconcilng buying a regular pair of Chuck Taylors for $40 that were made in Asia. Are there any known makers of similar shoes made in the US, or does Converse ever have Made in USA lines?

I believe the best way for you to full-filled your wants is to go for vintage converse made in USA

Try

http://myworld.ebay.com/vintage_converse_store/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

This ebay seller sale great quality of vintage converse made in USA, he got those from the 50s to the 90s (converse stop manufacturing their shoes in USA during 90s)

For me this is my grail :)

[ATTACHMENT=2501]198940_10150120985487579_511397578_6523584_3657017_n.jpg (73k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

otacon

Reaction score
I'll have to check back on that seller every so often. Thank you.

Nice kicks, too. Were those from a partnership line or was Addidas just straight up copying Converse?

Nizza

Reaction score

I'll have to check back on that seller every so often. Thank you.
Nice kicks, too. Were those from a partnership line or was Addidas just straight up copying Converse?

yeah no problem man :)

i would suggest go for those mid-70s vintage chuck, imo it's very affordable and got the best sole shape and toe box comparing to those in 80s-90s

for those in the with blue/black label in the heel sole (60s-early 70s) it's pretty hard to find and very pricey which i feel like it's not quite worth for a pair of sneakers and there's not much of a different

For my Adidas it's vintage hi-top Nizza, i'm not quite sure the era (maybe late 70s-80s) took me several years to find it....

i really don't think there's a collaborate line in the past...... more like adidas just copy the style and put in their stripes and logo on it, like what pro keds did in the old days

transient

Reaction score
I've been trying to get a pair of white highs for cheap on ebay for weeks now without any luck. I just really don't want to pay $40...

I'll gladly pay a premium for the same design with better construction MIU though.

Used pair from 70s for $300! :plain:

Last edited:

Nizza

Reaction score

I've been trying to get a pair of white highs for cheap on ebay for weeks now without any luck. I just really don't want to pay $40...
I'll gladly pay a premium for the same design with better construction MIU though.
Used pair from 70s for $300! :plain:

Yeah, some of those ebay sellers are just super overprice it!!!

most of the auction for vintage converse USA 70s-80s in great condition end around $100-200

try the ebay seller link that i post recently, most of his converse condition are almost deadstock, worth trying if you really into them

i'll post some photos of different era converse if any interested

transient

Reaction score
I'll need to keep checking with that seller and see if they put up something in my size.

I'm into both history and clothing, so it would be interesting to see what the differences are in the classic chucks over the decades. I've never handled the older ones but it seems like the canvas is thicker and there is more reinforcement? Jack Purcell and John Varvatos do a higher quality version but I don't think they do the plain classic design, and I'm not sure if it's American made.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around as to why in the modern era the quality in a lot of goods took a backseat all of a sudden. Not just converse, the same thing happened with Doc Marten. I like to buy american goods as much as the next guy, but there's really no reason why they can't produce quality products in china at this point. It just seems like in the 90s and 00s everything got watered down. I just hope that there is a reversal in this trend as energy for transportation increases and production becomes more localized again. And hopefully the newer generation is able to get out of disposable consumerism of the past.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads