• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Someone just sold property in a video game for $600k real dollarz.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
... and you thought real estate in NYC was high priced. At least you actually have a physical square footage. http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/160...-game-property
Think the rent is, in fact, too damn high? Then stay as far away from online world Entropia Universe as possible, because its real estate prices will drive you insane. Take, for instance, what just went down on Planet Calypso, where one of Entropia's wealthier players has sold off his interests in a "resort asteroid" for an eye-popping $635,000.
entropiuniverse1.jpg
club-neverdie.jpg

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
... and you thought real estate in NYC was high priced. At least you actually have a physical square footage.

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/160...-game-property

entropiuniverse1.jpg

club-neverdie.jpg

I don't get it. Mining rights? Why would you even care? And who is First Planet Company AB anyway? Does anybody get to develop worlds in the Entropia Universe or only some? Why not just program up another Calypso? How are the banks regulated? Will these virtual worlds be subject to real world economic treaties and the like?

It's a strange world we live in and this is only the beginning.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Could someone more familiar with this game and from NYC please let us know what part of New York this is analogous to?

I'm thinking this neighborhood = Times Square, but I could be wrong.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never heard of this game before..wtf.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
I never heard of this game before..wtf.

Obviously you aren't a big enough baller to play.
laugh.gif

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read an article a while ago about a guy who became a millionaire selling "properties" in that Second Life game. Crazy people.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I will never understand this ****. Can you generate real income from these properties? If so, and if that cash flow is worth $600k, accounting for all risks, then who knows? Maybe it's worth it. But I assume these virtual properties do not actually earn cash flow, in which case, this is mindboggling to me. In such a market, people would basically be buying for the sole prospect of flipping, divorced from any real fundamental value in the underlying asset. Seems like a dangerous game to play, no pun intended.

Edit: Just read the actual article.
smile.gif
Seems as if game dollars here are freely convertible to real dollars, thus making income from in-game activity real. "Real" in a very fuzzy sense, though, given that nobody actually owns anything tangible. What happens when a server goes down? Or when the developers nerf some aspect of your business? Or when they add a lot more land, thereby reducing the value of your parcel? Or when the game gets old, and people abandon it? Quite a lot of unmitigatable risk there.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Effectively a virtual Ponzi scheme then..

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This reminds me of the quote from Wall Street:

This painting here? I bought it ten years ago for sixty thousand dollars, I could sell it today for six hundred. The illusion has become real, and the more real it becomes, the more desperately they want it. Capitalism at it's finest.
facepalm.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I sold things from EQ on ebay. Never sold a toon, but I had a toon that could make jewelry and I had an FBSS drop three times in a row. Gold selling in WoW is rampant and I can remember reading all kinds of things old in Second Life, like interior designs, clothing, etc. Apparently those Linden dollars were convertible to cash too.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I sold things from EQ on ebay. Never sold a toon, but I had a toon that could make jewelry and I had an FBSS drop three times in a row. Gold selling in WoW is rampant and I can remember reading all kinds of things old in Second Life, like interior designs, clothing, etc. Apparently those Linden dollars were convertible to cash too.

Please translate to English, thanks!

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

I think there's a bit of a difference though between selling something that helps people achieve some end, even if it's virtual, like a magical sword, and selling something in a world where there is literally no objective. As far as I know, there's no point to Second Life. It's not a game, it's just visual chat. The idea of there being demand for anything in that game is ridiculous, because not only is there technically infinite supply, but there's no use for anything either. It reminds me of when I was a kid on IRC and becoming a channel operator was a big deal. Who the **** cares? It had literally no impact on my life.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I think there's a bit of a difference though between selling something that helps people achieve some end, even if it's virtual, like a magical sword, and selling something in a world where there is literally no objective. As far as I know, there's no point to Second Life. It's not a game, it's just visual chat. The idea of there being demand for anything in that game is ridiculous, because not only is there technically infinite supply, but there's no use for anything either. It reminds me of when I was a kid on IRC and becoming a channel operator was a big deal. Who the **** cares? It had literally no impact on my life.

Unless it was a cuseeme channel.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung

Exactly. In EQ, or WoW, or games like them, items actually provide utility to you in the form of increased power or status. And their rarity, in many instances, fuels enough demand to create thriving black and grey markets on eBay and elsewhere.

Games like Second Life have no progression or differentiation among characters based on skill or time invested. It boggles my mind that anyone even plays them, let alone drops megabucks on "real estate" and such.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads