• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Somebody needs to invent a way to carry stuff without using your pockets

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I'm getting to the point now where I don't want to put anything in my pockets. I hate the unsightly bulge it produces, it really disrupts the sleek slim look I go for. Even slim fit wallets don't do the trick.

Any solutions? Eric glennie?

m_wave

Reaction score
how about some kind of functional luggage carrying headwear? Or do as I do and use a porter :$

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My solution to this is to wear a blazer or jacket much more often. I have never liked the man-purse thing nor anything clipped to my belt. In addition to keys and a wallet, we all now "need" to carry a cell phone or blackberry around and I find that the additional pockets a jacket gives you is key for this. My problem now is that I am always leaving my stuff in one jacket or another and have to go looking for it the next morning.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
Seriously, I'm getting to the point now where I don't want to put anything in my pockets. I hate the unsightly bulge it produces, it really disrupts the sleek slim look I go for. Even slim fit wallets don't do the trick.

Any solutions? Eric glennie?

+1. I have gone the manbag route, which I love, but am looking for a next-level option. My juggling prowess has stalled, so I also call upon Mr. Glennie to come up with an intuitive solution.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's called a wife.

wink.gif

I started using a smaller card case and emptying it of receipts more frequently. Also switched to a slimmer cell. They don't add noticeable bulk to the breast pockets. The problem is keys/change. I have yet to find a key case that worked well. Sometimes I'll throw them in a porftolio if I happen to be carrying one.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
It's called a wife.

wink.gif

Do things change after you get married? Because my GF makes me carry everything. More often than not, I leave the house carry no more than a credit card, and before we head out the door she hands me he huge wallet to carry, an extra pair shoes, and an umbrella.
censored.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never had this kind of problem. I carry my credit card case, money clip, cell phone, and BlackBerry in my jacket pockets without any bulging.

The solution is not to avoid using your pockets, but having your pockets made to be usable and your jacket made to fit properly. Enough room in the chest and hips guarantees that you will have room to store stuff; internal pockets in the right places prevent bulging and sagging. For example, Rubinacci attaches a smaller pocket to the jacket body underneath the right hip pocket. Because it's attached directly to the jacket body, I can keep my BlackBerry there with out making my hip pocket gape open.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not so much of a problem when I'm wearing a jacket. I wear a suit and tie 4~5 days a week, it's the other days that's a problem. Even when I wear a suit, I don't like to keeping my wallet in my jacket pocket. My cell phone and my keys are fine, but not my wallet.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Concerning the keys: do you need all the keys you carry with you? I only take the keys along, that I really need, so it's my frontdoor key and maybe the car key or the keys for my bicycle-locks and the chip I need to get into office. Oh, and a Maglite Solitaire when I'm out in the dark. What I don't need remains on the key hanger in the hall.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I've never had this kind of problem. I carry my credit card case, money clip, cell phone, and BlackBerry in my jacket pockets without any bulging.

The solution is not to avoid using your pockets, but having your pockets made to be usable and your jacket made to fit properly. Enough room in the chest and hips guarantees that you will have room to store stuff; internal pockets in the right places prevent bulging and sagging. For example, Rubinacci attaches a smaller pocket to the jacket body underneath the right hip pocket. Because it's attached directly to the jacket body, I can keep my BlackBerry there with out making my hip pocket gape open.

My good friend, I think your posts and style are great, but I defy you to participate in an MC thread without using the word "Rubinacci."

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fanny Pack?
happy.gif
beltoutlet_2024_4202459
I think the correct term is "Waist Pack"...but either way they're pretty ugly... On a more serious note, I usually put my keys and some other larger items in my briefcase, messenger bag, etc when I can. My wallet and phone go in my jacket or coat. If I'm just wearing Jeans and a T shirt then I have to deal with the slight bulging....

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
It's not so much of a problem when I'm wearing a jacket. I wear a suit and tie 4~5 days a week, it's the other days that's a problem. Even when I wear a suit, I don't like to keeping my wallet in my jacket pocket. My cell phone and my keys are fine, but not my wallet.

I'm the same as you, I hate bulging pockets but I need to always have my wallet in my pants pocket. I went with the money clip that holdes 2-3 cards. That is almost invisible in the back pocket of my pants and produces no wear and tear. This may sound ridiculous but I also use my credit card for nearly everything to ensure that I don't wind up with a wad of small bills and coins (my other big pet peave) on top of that. If for some reason I end up with a wad of cash I put that in my jacket pocket as well just to minimize the thickness of the clip. I just leave the coins on the counter. LOL

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeCaloFashion1
Just carry your cell phone in your hand. It will make you look busy and important.

That's called the 'Ari Gold'

ari.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads