• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some thoughts on these shoes please men.

realizment

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I was looking for some suggestions to help my indecisive mind out a little bit please. So I was looking at these... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZH3EME...EME&tag=wwwshopstylec-20&ascsubtag=1526327370

And then I saw these..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40088613682...48&var=670429226631&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

As you can see a similar shoe to the eye. But a huge price difference.. What would you do? Ive looked at about 100 shoes in the same style for the past few days ranging from $80 - $600 and I cannot make up my mind..

My other question is what are your thoughts on this color with black pants.. I know the will look nice with trousers with a slight blue tint.. But what about black?

Cheers guys!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a great disparity in price.

However I imagine the Boss shoe at the higher end won't get you that much better of a quality shoe. Being a Boss shoe that is.

Since there's such a great disparity in price it might be extremely helpful if you determined what your budget for this shoe is exactly.

To be honest some here might recommend a $300 shoe, where some would recommend a $600 or even $1200 shoe unless you set a budget.

Last edited:

realizment

Reaction score
Wow, that's a great disparity in price.

However I imagine the Boss shoe at the higher end won't get you that much better of a quality shoe. Being a Boss shoe that is.

Since there's such a great disparity in price it might be extremely helpful if you determined what your budget for this shoe is exactly.

To be honest some here might recommend a $300 shoe, where some would recommend a $600 or even $1200 shoe unless you set a budget.

Ive been know to spend $1300 or so on shoes.. But as I spent the whole night looking at monk strap shoes I have found sticking to a budget of up to 400 will work but honestly who wouldn't rather spend less

Yes I do agree with you about the Boss shoe. But I do like the level of detail on them compared to other similair shoes in that style.. But I mean is it too close to the other shoe to justify paying the extra mula on it?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like them and think that they might fit, buy them.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive been know to spend $1300 or so on shoes.. But as I spent the whole night looking at monk strap shoes I have found sticking to a budget of up to 400 will work but honestly who wouldn't rather spend less

Yes I do agree with you about the Boss shoe. But I do like the level of detail on them compared to other similair shoes in that style.. But I mean is it too close to the other shoe to justify paying the extra mula on it?

I was speaking to the quality, not necessarily the design. Most designer brands like Boss typically don't make a real good quality product. Typically the leather is cheap corrected grain, and if the shoe last long enough to be re-soled a good number of these shoes cant be re-soled so they are throw aways.

If I spend money on shoes I like to spend money on something that I can use for awhile and it will look better as it ages, not something that will get worse and you simply have to throw away.

Currently I have enough shoes anyhow so this should not be a problem.

If looking in the $400 dollar range I would certainly consider Carmina. I can't guarantee a good fit or that you will like their style, but they are the best bang for your buck in this price range.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the pics, the Boss shoe looks better to my eye. The other looks like a cheaper shoe to me. Just my 2 cents.

realizment

Reaction score
I was speaking to the quality, not necessarily the design. Most designer brands like Boss typically don't make a real good quality product. Typically the leather is cheap corrected grain, and if the shoe last long enough to be re-soled a good number of these shoes cant be re-soled so they are throw aways.

If I spend money on shoes I like to spend money on something that I can use for awhile and it will look better as it ages, not something that will get worse and you simply have to throw away.

Currently I have enough shoes anyhow so this should not be a problem.

If looking in the $400 dollar range I would certainly consider Carmina. I can't guarantee a good fit or that you will like their style, but they are the best bang for your buck in this price range.

Oh yea I know thats I thought, I was saying the ebay shoes are probably of close quality to the boss in reality yes. Will check them out . I see magnanni have a nice line also.
Just looking at the pics, the Boss shoe looks better to my eye. The other looks like a cheaper shoe to me. Just my 2 cents.

Yea to the eye the boss sure is the better shoe.

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why not get the real deal
IMG_6695_1024x1024.jpg

On a serious note, do Boss really ask people to willingly spend that much on their 'shoes'!!! - that's like asking people to willingly set Inernet explorer as their default web browser.
rotflmao.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you normally spend a lot on shoes, then why not consider a pair that you know are made with finer leather and better construction? I find that Tan and light brown shoes really reflect the quality of leather in a short period of wear and care.The cheaper tan leathers will just look cheap in due course. I'd rather have fewer shoes and have better ones. This is coming from a guy who went through most of his career wearing one pair of punched captoes in light brown, one pair of cap toes in black and one pair of tan loafers. I bought the very best I could afford and because they were better leather and construction, I rotated them and polished them regularly, they lasted for years and always looked great.

realizment

Reaction score

Why not get the real deal
IMG_6695_1024x1024.jpg
On a serious note, do Boss really ask people to willingly spend that much on their 'shoes'!!! - that's like asking people to willingly set Inernet explorer as their default web browser. :rotflmao:
Ha that's why I'm here asking I'm like 400 on a pair of boss seems like it just wrong to do.. Where are those from in the pic ? Would like some closer to the color but those are nice .
If you normally spend a lot on shoes, then why not consider a pair that you know are made with finer leather and better construction? I find that Tan and light brown shoes really reflect the quality of leather in a short period of wear and care.The cheaper tan leathers will just look cheap in due course. I'd rather have fewer shoes and have better ones. This is coming from a guy who went through most of his career wearing one pair of punched captoes in light brown, one pair of cap toes in black and one pair of tan loafers. I bought the very best I could afford and because they were better leather and construction, I rotated them and polished them regularly, they lasted for years and always looked great.
I can't disagree with you there but I find more in more in my line of work I can't really wear things too often so in that case spending in a little less makes sense to me

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both pairs, but the Boss pair in particular, incorporate many current
fashion cliches. But then, not everyone favors classics.

realizment

Reaction score
I ordered the Hugo boss Ill see how they are on and if they feel/fit nice.. I know probably could of found nice in the range but still looking if I do ill return them..

Can anyone shed some light on the pricing of those shoes on amazon, size 7's are $595, I paid 391, and a 9.5 is 383. Very strange pricing structure does it go by popularity ?

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ha that's why I'm here asking I'm like 400 on a pair of boss seems like it just wrong to do.. Where are those from in the pic ? Would like some closer to the color but those are nice .
I can't disagree with you there but I find more in more in my line of work I can't really wear things too often so in that case spending in a little less makes sense to me

Gaziano and Girling Mayfair - Edward Green make a really nice double monk too. Lowndes by Crockett and Jones are a lot cheaper, rather nice, but no broguing but a lot of shoe for the money IMHO.

realizment

Reaction score
Gaziano and Girling Mayfair - Edward Green make a really nice double monk too. Lowndes by Crockett and Jones are a lot cheaper, rather nice, but no broguing but a lot of shoe for the money IMHO.

Oh yea Gaziano and Girling mayfair have some beautiful shoes. If I had the budget id buy out their stock :D.. Speaking of which I really like these.

They remind of these Louis Vuitton that I love the look of. This picture is from old stock I actually have the python loafer on the right which I rarely wore (maybe on my upcoming Vegas trip they will get a chance again. Thats where I actually bought them lol)

Anyways after a bit of spree the past week I need to cool it does anyone here know any similar shoe to the above or the below left Louis Vuitton in the $200 range? Something that looks nice I prefer the look of the LV over the above in this case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads