• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some smart but casual looks for the weekend

Bouji

Reaction score
I find dressing casually but nicely is much harder than getting into more formal attire. I'm 35 with a youngish face, so I can get away with both older and younger looks. Here are a few of some of my basic casual looks, please share some of yours as I'm stuck for ideas:
1. Un-tucked/Tucked shirt with jeans, can be formal or casual shirt, but is mostly a formal shirt, as I don't have many casual shirts. In winter I put a sweater on top; on a colder spring/summer day a linen jacket. If the shirt is tucked in I'll dress it with some designer loafers (Gucci, Tods, Prada, etc.) and a designer belt (Hermes or Gucci)
2. Shirt tucked into light linen/cotton trousers with a web belt and suede shoes
And one I've started recently due to the heat
3. Linen trousers with a long sleeve polo shirt un-tucked and suede driving moccasins.
I cannot bring myself to wear short-sleeves, it just feels wrong.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that you don't wear short sleeve "dress" shirts, or are short sleeve polos out too?

Because that's a rather large branch of summer casual wear right there.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Do you mean that you don't wear short sleeve "dress" shirts, or are short sleeve polos out too?

Because that's a rather large branch of summer casual wear right there.

I don't wear any form of short-sleeve, polo, t-shirt, or 'dress' shirt. Although I do often role my sleeves up.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
I don't wear any form of short-sleeve, polo, t-shirt, or 'dress' shirt. Although I do often role my sleeves up.
Wow. I don't think I could go through summer like that. May I ask why not?

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Wow. I don't think I could go through summer like that. May I ask why not?

Actually it was always sub-conscious. The only time I found out was when I was shopping with my girlfriend and I bought a long-sleeve polo shirt, and she said “It’s good because you never wear short-sleeves.” Before this, I never even realized myself, and until today I still don’t know – but I’m not going to start wearing short-sleeves now.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a favorite of mine that I think would be perfect:

Dark, fitted straight leg jeans, black chelsea or side-zip boots and a fitted long sleve t-shirt. Go with a nice, upscale tshirt, but nothing with a designer logo. You can also get some shirts that are supposed to help keep you cooler that should fit this bill, assuming they don't look too much like runner/biker shirts. In cooler weather, this would work well with a nice, relatively thin and very fitted sweater.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Here's a favorite of mine that I think would be perfect:

Dark, fitted straight leg jeans, black chelsea or side-zip boots and a fitted long sleve t-shirt. Go with a nice, upscale tshirt, but nothing with a designer logo. You can also get some shirts that are supposed to help keep you cooler that should fit this bill, assuming they don't look too much like runner/biker shirts. In cooler weather, this would work well with a nice, relatively thin and very fitted sweater.

What t-shirts do you have in mind? Any brand examples?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What t-shirts do you have in mind? Any brand examples?
I usually go with Banana Republic, but I'll do short sleeves in the Summer. As for a tshirt that keeps you cooler, check out any sporting goods maker. I imagine that in London a store like Lillywhite might have such a shirt.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I usually go with Banana Republic, but I'll do short sleeves in the Summer. As for a tshirt that keeps you cooler, check out any sporting goods maker. I imagine that in London a store like Lillywhite might have such a shirt.
Heat is not so much of an issue as I stay in the A/C, but I'll surley try this look out, thanks.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heat is not so much of an issue as I stay in the A/C, but I'll surley try this look out, thanks.

In that case, I would just look at stores that have good, upscale clothes for a more fashionable crowd, like Harvey Nichols and Selfridges, to name my London favorites. Their tshirts will look a lot better than one from a maker of athletic clothes.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a great post. i'm 33 and getting to that point where i feel like i shouldn't even be browsing the Streetwear forum. but then you see guys like Get Smart (who i'm guessing is a similar age) who pulls off the craziest **** and still manages to look damn good. definitely take a look at some of his posts for ideas.

i'm definitely more of a minimalist. i like the Chucks, APC jeans, AA hoody look. in the summertime, i like white pants, navy blue Polo linen sweater, and sandals or white shoes (usually my white Jil Sander loafers or white Costume National tennis shoes). denim jackets have slowly made their way into my staple items. i've got a Navy blue Helmut Lang, a 1969 Gap, and an SBU. i've got great peacoats from Marni, Corpus, and US Navy standard issue that i try to wear as much as possible here in sunny So Cal. and i'm slowly trying to incorporate boots and blazers into my casual wardrobe. i've got boots from CT and Costume National which will hopefully tide me over until i can afford a pair of Jodphurs from EG or JL. blazers i've found amazingly difficult to pull off for some reason. my fave is a cotton khaki Jil Sander one.

let's hear from others on this thread!!!

-Jeff

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, I'm 31. *

Anyway, my summer uniform is a layered tee, usually in contrasting colors, with one more neutral, jeans, an accent belt, and sneakers. Chucks, Vans of various flavors, and the Adidas Italia are go to kicks. Really pretty simple. On a fancy day, I might throw on a miltary or western style shirt over the long sleeve shirt, but even that is only once in a while.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Living in the UK you can afford to not wear short sleeves in the summer...

While short sleeved dress shirts are out, I wouldn't be able to survive without polos or Ts...

While the polo/jeans isn't particularly creative, I enjoy putting together outfits with linen pants with various polos, usually solid, and sometimes pastel, in honor of Miami Vice!

Wade M

Reaction score
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif
--Wade_
smile.gif

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Living in the UK you can afford to not wear short sleeves in the summer...

While short sleeved dress shirts are out, I wouldn't be able to survive without polos or Ts...

While the polo/jeans isn't particularly creative, I enjoy putting together outfits with linen pants with various polos, usually solid, and sometimes pastel, in honor of Miami Vice!

I'm with you - a polo with jeans or chinos can look too bland; add linen and it looks 'dressed'.

Admittedly, the OC is much hotter than London, but it has been about 35 C (95 F) for the past 5 days, and before that 28 C (83 F) ish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics