Some random histories of Neapolitan tailoring

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Jun 14, 2011.

1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Cilento was a great store, better than Rubinacci in certain ways. More my speed. Terrible location.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

Love it when you old folks post threads like this. Lets newbies like me learn something. Ta.

edit: Is Cesare Attolini wearing a black suit there? And I see just about everyone at the factory are older people...

8. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

The wierd thing about Attolini's shop in Naples is that you would never know they do bespoke. It's a nice, but not overwhelming, RTW shop with lots of stuff. Looks high end but not that distinctive. Kinda bland, IMO. You have to ask about tailoring and they don't seem to want to focus on it.

At Rubinacci, however, it's clearly the focus of the business. RTW extists but is really limited. I recall some pants but no jacekts, though maybe I missed them.

That is because Attolini senior never passed on the business to the current generation. The current owners of Attolini is a nephew with. RTW background and they do not hide it

9. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Yachtie you and Foo beefing?
    No a quick tease, to bad he doesn't take it well.
    Foo is far from alone at being offended by you savaging (not critiquing) SF members on FNB, most recently the incredibly dapper Butler. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Only where richly deserved. Don't like it, you're free to reply there. Enough thread derailing, back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

10. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

No a quick tease, to bad he doesn't take it well.

You dual life is hilarious. Friendly and chirpy on SF, while you spew bile on FNB.

Anyway, a serious question - off all the pics I have seen, Panico always seems the best turned out, and, in my mind, dresses closest to the SF ideal.

Any particular reason that many of our Naples-bound members haven't given him a go yet? Language issues, delivery?

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

You dual life is hilarious. Friendly and chirpy on SF, while you spew bile on FNB.

Anyway, a serious question - off all the pics I have seen, Panico always seems the best turned out, and, in my mind, dresses closest to the SF ideal.

Any particular reason that many of our Naples-bound members haven't given him a go yet? Language issues, delivery?

t4 goes there.

I had no intent to try him because I was already all in with Solito but I wanted to visit the shop. However, it was pretty far off the beaten track and I didn't make it. Actually, it turned out that I had the address wrong and the shop is right in the middle of Chiaia but oh well.

12. banis

banis Senior member

I've seen him in the streets of Naples in December. He looked great IRL.

If I'm not mistaken, his daughter speaks English. I couldn't keep in touch with her to schedule a visit.
    There are members here that have used him, but do not post.

13. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Friendly and chirpy Sir? Outrageous! I may have to call my lawyers! [​IMG]

14. Camp David

Camp David Member

FWIW I have not had any delivery problems with Panico - always fast delivery (for Italian standards) in nice DHL "garment-on-hanger" boxes. The language is a problem though, since he doesn't speak a word of English. His daughter (Paola) claims to speak English and manages reasonably well to reply to e-mails but it is very difficult to have a discussion with her in English eg over the phone.

15. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

^ Thanks for the replies. If I ever make it to Naples, Panico and Formosa are the two I would be most tempted to try.