1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Some questions on cardigans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rob.p, Apr 15, 2009.

1. rob.p

rob.p Well-Known Member

I have been wearing cardigans (mostly from American Apparel) for a while now, and I have a couple questions:

1. What is the appropriate length for a slim-fitting cardigan worn with slim-fitting slacks or jeans? How much below the belt should it go?

2. Is it ok or even stylish to have a collared shirt peeking out from the bottom of it, or should any shirts worn under the cardigan be tucked in?

2. emmanuel

emmanuel Well-Known Member

It can go down as far as the bottom of your front pockets. Tuck in your shirt!

3. Thread Killer

Thread Killer Well-Known Member

While I don't care for the look, I've seen plenty of guys wearing a cardigan over an untucked longsleeve shirt. I always tuck my shirt in, no matter what I'm wearing.

As for the length, I'm short so my cardigan always seems to be longer than I want it to be. I would rather the bottom of the sweater be as close to the bottom of the belt as possible. That probably explains why I don't wear cardigans very often.

4. ysc

ysc Well-Known Member

I would have thought not more than a couple of inches below the belt if it is a tight fitting cardigan and no, a shirt sticking out from under the bottom of a cardigan would look stupid.
    I sort of understand this under a regular jumper (although I wouldn't do it) but wearing a shirt not tucked in under a cardigan sounds like more thinking/effort has gone into it than wearing one tucked in, which is stupid because I would think the point of not tucking your shirt in to be casual.

5. Nexus6

Nexus6 Well-Known Member

My cardigans are for home use only.
    I would never wear one in public unless I zipped to the corner store.

6. bobdobalina

bobdobalina Well-Known Member

7. emmanuel

emmanuel Well-Known Member

My cardigans are for home use only.
    I would never wear one in public unless I zipped to the corner store.

Why?

8. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Well-Known Member

I just bought a cardigan from Uniqlo and love it. It falls just a little bit below my belt.

9. Nexus6

Nexus6 Well-Known Member

Why?

because I am 30lbs overweight.
    My fault for not having stated that.
    A cardigan makes me look dumpy, (or I make the cardigan look dumpy)
    but somehow a vest gives me a slimming effect.
    In a few weeks from now I am going back to swimming and do something about that.
    Been spending too much time at a desk.

In fairness, I have nothing against cardigans.
    I just can't pull off the look at the present time.
    but my compliments to those who can.