• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Some pocket square designs I'm working on, part 4

Which pocket squares would you buy?

• Memoirs of Babur 1

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Memoirs of Babur 2

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Memoirs of Babur 3

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Memoirs of Babur 4

• Alexander the Great vs dragons

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Alice 1

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Alice 2

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Alice 3

• Arnstein Bible

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Burmese Buddhist Cosmology

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Casteels flowers 1

• Casteels flowers 2

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Cloud Gallery

Votes: 45 62.5%
  • Holi

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Khamsa of Nizami

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • King Solomon

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Mewar Remayana 1

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Mewar Remayana 2

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Mewar Remayana 3

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Mewar Remayana 4

• Red Fort

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Sanvala Europeans

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Squirrels

Votes: 33 45.8%

• Total voters

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm working on these designs. Most are unfinished, but I'd like to see which are popular so I can decide which are worth finishing. Most are low resolution images; I'd get a proper high resolution image when we print.

Memoirs of Babur 1

Memoirs of Babur 2

Memoirs of Babur 3

Memoirs of Babur 4

Alexander the Great vs dragons

Alice 1

Alice 2

Alice 3

Arnstein Bible

Burmese Buddhist Cosmology

Casteels flowers 1

Casteels flowers 2

Cloud Gallery

Holi

Khamsa of Nizami

King Solomon

Mewar Remayana 1

Mewar Remayana 2

Mewar Remayana 3

Mewar Remayana 4

Red Fort

Sanvala Europeans

Squirrels

Related:

Last edited:

Reaction score
Hey @Kent Wang! Was there a reason that "The Garden of Earthly Delights" never made it to production?
I hope you consider it again for this round.

EDIT - Turns out it's on the website. Any chance 17" will be restocked soon?

Last edited:

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe it is just me, and it very well could be, but I don't care for cropped images of classic artwork/paintings on a pocket square. I admire what you do but, to me, a repeat pattern with or without a border, or, as in the case of fine Hermes or Drakes pocket squares executing designs specifically for the shape and limiting it to very specific colors is far more classic and versatile when trying to coordinate. I wouldn't wear cropped art on a tie or scarf. There are far too many colors and shades of colors to work with. But, hey, if the crowds want it, so be it. And, you have chosen some very interesting artwork but, I wouldn't wear it.
I think you're mostly right, but I think both the Squirrels and Cloud gallery achieve what you want - kind of repeating patterns across a single tone "theme" - but with some additional flourish depending on how it's folded. I like both of those specifically for that reason.

That said, I don't ever get a chance to wear pocket squares, even though I very much enjoy ogling them.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No they don't. They have too many shades of colors to achieve a look that elegantly coordinates with the rest of my outfit.
Ok, sorry they won't work for you.

But, again, if that is what you like and you want a broad spectrum of color that doesn't match or coordinate with what you are wearing, fine.
Not to quibble but, again, while I rarely get the chance to wear pocket squares, I could see the two I referenced both matching and coordinating well with a range of options. I have a hard time seeing most any fold of the Cloud Gallery not working with most navy/gray combos or the Squirrels not working with a range of autumn hued tweeds.

There is a difference between great textile design and great fine art paintings.
I understand your point about re-purposing something for other uses may not make it less than optimum but, clearly, Kent is trying to find some that might, even accidentally, be great at both. YMMV.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other issue, of course, is the impression one makes in the board room, or string quartet rehearsal, or Maccas queue, by flicking the pocket square out and using it to polish one's glasses.

The Babur battle scenes could be especially effective when negotiating a hostile takeover with the opposing party's lawyers. As you do.

NycLondon

Reaction score
The appropriation of painted images into other media is highly questionable. Each medium has is inherent design elements. Great textiles should have their own. In case any one is confused about this, the use of a black grid with white squares and primary colours is often called "Mondrianesque". Piet is turning in his grave at such sacrilege.

Quesjac

Reaction score
I'm not sure what people find so profane about printing nice images on cloth, the reappropriation of images has always been part of visual culture. If anything, it's the sacralized museum artwork that is the historical oddity.

Re. the debate above, I like the representational pocket squares (vs. the geometric repeated designs, etc) because they do look a bit less co-ordinated --- they're never visually symmetrical, etc. I can see why if you want to look very put-together you might prefer neat patterns, but to me it's a question of how much order or chaos you want.

I like Alice 2 & 3 for the humour, and Red Fort for the colour palette.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turns out it's on the website. Any chance 17" will be restocked soon?
Earnest question: how do you fit a 17” square in a breast pocket? I have trouble jamming a 12” one in.

Reaction score
Earnest question: how do you fit a 17” square in a breast pocket? I have trouble jamming a 12” one in.
I only prefer the bigger size for 100% silk squares. All silk squares are thinner compared to wool/silk and all wool ones and don’t stay in place.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.