• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some photos from spanish tailor - what do you know about spanish tailoring?

styleconsultant

Reaction score
Hi all, I wanted to share with you some photos from Gonzalo Lopez Larrainzar Tailoring that I did for an interview. Hope you like them :)

You can also see the interview in the blog http://www.style-consultant.info/2013/04/charlando-con-gonzalo-lopez-larrainzar.html

I don't copy it here the interview because it's in Spanish, but you can translate it into the blog.

Regards!

En la sala de muestrarios, una imagen de la antigua sastrería rinde tributo a la tradición de la casa

La recepción de la sastrería, presidida por la imagen de los tres fundadores

Sala de espera, con libros de arte o arquitectura

Muestrarios de algunas de las principales firmas del mundo

Sala de pruebas, con su espejo triple

Las herramientas del sastre

Dos chaquetas (en proceso) de telas y cortes nada tradicionales dan testimonio de que un sastre español también puede hacerlas

Gonzalo comienza a colocar el patrón sobre la tela de un próximo traje

Incluso estos primeros compases del trabajo deben ser muy meticulosos para asegurar el correcto corte de la prenda

Chaqueta de traje expuesta en la sala de muestrarios

Construcción de chaquetas sport

Detalle de un ojal hecho a mano

Los botones practicables han sido siempre uno de los puntos de distinción de la sastrería a medida

Los fundadores

La mesa de corte

Sala de muestrarios, con la foto de la antigua sastrería

Exposición

Diferentes muestrarios disponibles para el cliente

El taller

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spanish workmanship is top notch, that has to be said.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Workmanship undoubtedly.
But the shoulders? The house style?
I wouldn't go near it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and photographs of the suits?

A couple of shots of detail and one of a mannequin does not illustrate much unfortunately,

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Workmanship undoubtedly.
I wouldn't go near it.
Yeah, that's the problem. The style is very structured and might not be to everyone's taste. There are some tailors here who are very open to customer requests, though.

styleconsultant

Reaction score

Workmanship undoubtedly.
I wouldn't go near it.

That was in fact one of the questions I made in the interview, and he answered that the tailor can have a defined style, but he must be able to adapt it to the customer's request.
If I go to Naples and I ask them to give me a more structured shoulder, I expect them to be able to do it, because they must do more than only the neapolitan jacket, with or without "rollino", as they call it. In this case is the same: if you request some specific style, the tailor must be able to do it.

Regards,

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was in fact one of the questions I made in the interview, and he answered that the tailor can have a defined style, but he must be able to adapt it to the customer's request.
If I go to Naples and I ask them to give me a more structured shoulder, I expect them to be able to do it, because they must do more than only the neapolitan jacket, with or without "rollino", as they call it. In this case is the same: if you request some specific style, the tailor must be able to do it.

Regards,

In theory you are correct. However, in reality, the chances are much high that the customer will be satisfied if he goes
to a tailor whose house style conforms to the customer's taste.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look forward to see more pictures. I am always a fan of high quality tailor who does structured shoulder as default house style.

styleconsultant

Reaction score
In theory you are correct. However, in reality, the chances are much high that the customer will be satisfied if he goes
to a tailor whose house style conforms to the customer's taste.

I agree, but imagine that you have a tailor that has made some structured jackets for the winter and you want an unstructured one for summer. Do you trust him or go to Naples because they use to work this way? I would prefer to see what my tailor can do, and I'm sure that, if he's a good tailor, he will be able to do anything if you explain properly. In the same way, I would give a neapolitan tailor the opportunity to make an structured jacket, and I'm sure they can :)

However, I agree with you that there's no special part of the jacket in the spanish tailors that make them really distinct, such as the neapolitan shoulder, for example.

Regards,

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, but imagine that you have a tailor that has made some structured jackets for the winter and you want an unstructured one for summer. Do you trust him or go to Naples because they use to work this way? I would prefer to see what my tailor can do, and I'm sure that, if he's a good tailor, he will be able to do anything if you explain properly. In the same way, I would give a neapolitan tailor the opportunity to make an structured jacket, and I'm sure they can :)

However, I agree with you that there's no special part of the jacket in the spanish tailors that make them really distinct, such as the neapolitan shoulder, for example.

Regards,
Fleetwood Mac are a pretty good rock band. Very competent. If I go to a Fleetwood Mac show and try to get them to play "Blitzkrieg Bop," are they going to play a version of that song that sounds like the Ramones?

Since this is music, not suits, I have to admit that I'd actually kind of like to hear that, but I tend to think trying to order a shirtsleeve shoulder from Huntsman might not be so hot. I don't really know, of course, and I'm sure some tailors are more flexible than others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads