• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

some opinions...

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better quality suede, better construction (Goodyear as opposed to rapid Blake for the Salterbeck).

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pair 3 is 'benchmade in england'. i guess that makes a difference. pair 4 looks cool and has a leather sole, but i wouldn't pay $600 for anything with velcro on it.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, the Salterbeck is a dead ringer for the C&J Dainite-soled chukka models, other than the "Polo" embossed where the Dainite logo goes. From the angle that Grapevinehill shot those pics, it's ambiguous whether that's a molded faux channel or if there are stitches in there, so I wouldn't want to guess whether those are Goodyear welted or not without seeing the shoes IRL. If those aren't really C&Js, then they've sure done a fine job of knocking them off.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just won #3, and hopefully should get them tomorrow, so I'll let you know what I think then.

That being said, #1 and #3 completely overlap in terms of when you would wear them. Except that #1 is probably made in Italy and #3 should be made by Crockett and Jones, assuming the benchmade in England is not a typo. If you already have #1, and like it, no point in getting #3 unless you prefer to wear suede chukkas frequently.

#2 and #4 substantially overlap. Also no point in having both.

I don't think #4 is a C&J boot, but I could be wrong.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The salterbeck boots are made in Italy, according to the photo on bluefly. They look damn good, let us know how they turn out.
I'd forgotten that I'd seen those on Bluefly before. They look a lot more C&J-like when you see the soles in the Grapevinehill pics.

profjmb

Reaction score
I'm curious when people think that it is "acceptable" to wear this color of suede boot. Fall and winter, certainly. But spring and summer? (I have a nice pair I'd like to wear then but am hesitant.)

guitone

Reaction score
I never wear boots in the Summer, Fall and Winter are good, early Spring, maybe...waterproof them as well....

Nice goots btw.

alchimiste

Reaction score
Better quality suede, better construction (Goodyear as opposed to rapid Blake for the Salterbeck).
What the difference between rapid blake and regular blake? Or is rapid blake just another name for blake?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go for Boot 4. Those are great. They'll look great with jeans.
You can wear Boot 2 when you're feeling less rugged.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not when you do (angry face) they're not.
wow.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads