• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Of My Hermes Scarf-Print Ties

pejsek

Reaction score
Hermes ties seem to be a regular topic--both here and at AAAC. But for some reason the scarf-print is almost never mentioned. Which is a pity, since this is, I think, one of Hermes' signature contributions to modern menswear. Sadly, they might not even be made anymore. These are not 7-fold ties, but they are made from the famous Hermes scarves, sewn together and folded to incorporate a wool interlining. The colors and patterns are vibrant and luxurious. I really like them, even though they are appropriate for almost nothing and can be a real challenge to pair with a suit or jacket.
For comparison, I'm also including pictures of Versace's homage to this classic. immsmc, the Versace ties were all done during the heyday of, say, 1990-93. The Versace ties are not self-tipped; they do, however, feature really amazing silk prints that play off of and sometimes rival the ones from Hermes. Of course the usual disclaimers apply. All items thrifted in or around the City and County of San Francisco.
img0937pe8.jpg

img0941qf6.jpg

img0940uj5.jpg

img0943gi3.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have some wild Atelier Versace ties too, which were produced during the heydays of his career. And yes, I've worn them before.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have some wild Atelier Versace ties
Please, just a glimpse, LK.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
but I wouldn't wear them ordinarily. I do have a few Versace ties bought in Paris some 15 years ago (gosh, was it that long) that look similar to the GVs shown. I used to wear those with the sleeveless V neck jumpers that we used to call 'tank tops' in the UK (but I gather the term means something else in the US). You still looked pretty 'normal' but you knew that under your jumper there was an expanse of colour and ornate design
smile.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The black and red Versace is eminently wearable. The rest, maybe a woman can wear them as a belt to match her Hermes scarf.

Ramses

Reaction score
The ties are great!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ummmm, my mommy said if you can't say something nice, don't say anything. Different strokes for different folks, I guess....
eek.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Ummmm, my mommy said if you can't say something nice, don't say anything. Different strokes for different folks, I guess....
eek.gif

lol...for once we are in complete agreement.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I made for a client a vest from a Hermes scarf. The scarf motif was Mozart and he wore the vest under a DJ to a symphony event. The placement of figures from the scarf and where they appeared on the vest came out spectacular. The vest was only worn twice, as far as I know, but he loved the vest and holds onto it.
I know some tailors have used the scarves as jacket linings as well.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the Hermes on the far right and the 3rd Versace (in the 2nd pic). Both very wearable I think, but then, I like eccentric ties!
smile.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I made for a client a vest from a Hermes scarf. The scarf motif was Mozart and he wore the vest under a DJ to a symphony event. The placement of figures from the scarf and where they appeared on the vest came out spectacular. The vest was only worn twice, as far as I know, but he loved the vest and holds onto it.
I know some tailors have used the scarves as jacket linings as well.

That sounds inspired. Dont suppose you have piccies?

I've used the scarves as jacket linings for dinner jackets and sports coats. A suit would be pushing it for me personally. They tend to work best on softer fabrics bc the silk works with the fabric.

The Hermes scarf ties are amazing and I think are quite classic. Most would disagree because they have fallen out of recognition and the masses at work will think them odd, when in fact they are elegant. Oh well, best to consider them Hip for an evening out with a suit or jacket.

The Versace ties are great for very hip events and the more modern darker (or hotter) colored shirts.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff

The Hermes scarf ties are amazing and I think are quite classic. Most would disagree because they have fallen out of recognition and the masses at work will think them odd, when in fact they are elegant. Oh well, best to consider them Hip for an evening out with a suit or jacket.

Or perhaps some of us just find them to be visually offensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads