Some Of My Hermes Scarf-Print Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pejsek, Oct 5, 2006.

1. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Hermes ties seem to be a regular topic--both here and at AAAC. But for some reason the scarf-print is almost never mentioned. Which is a pity, since this is, I think, one of Hermes' signature contributions to modern menswear. Sadly, they might not even be made anymore. These are not 7-fold ties, but they are made from the famous Hermes scarves, sewn together and folded to incorporate a wool interlining. The colors and patterns are vibrant and luxurious. I really like them, even though they are appropriate for almost nothing and can be a real challenge to pair with a suit or jacket.
    For comparison, I'm also including pictures of Versace's homage to this classic. immsmc, the Versace ties were all done during the heyday of, say, 1990-93. The Versace ties are not self-tipped; they do, however, feature really amazing silk prints that play off of and sometimes rival the ones from Hermes. Of course the usual disclaimers apply. All items thrifted in or around the City and County of San Francisco.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Incredible, once again, pejsek. Keep 'em coming!

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have some wild Atelier Versace ties too, which were produced during the heydays of his career. And yes, I've worn them before.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I have some wild Atelier Versace ties
    Please, just a glimpse, LK.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Please, just a glimpse, LK.
    I'll see if I can get a picture or two.

6. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

but I wouldn't wear them ordinarily. I do have a few Versace ties bought in Paris some 15 years ago (gosh, was it that long) that look similar to the GVs shown. I used to wear those with the sleeveless V neck jumpers that we used to call 'tank tops' in the UK (but I gather the term means something else in the US). You still looked pretty 'normal' but you knew that under your jumper there was an expanse of colour and ornate design [​IMG]

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The black and red Versace is eminently wearable. The rest, maybe a woman can wear them as a belt to match her Hermes scarf.

8. Gericaux

Gericaux Active Member

Some are too loud.

9. Ramses

Ramses Senior member

The ties are great!

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

Ummmm, my mommy said if you can't say something nice, don't say anything. Different strokes for different folks, I guess....[​IMG]

11. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ummmm, my mommy said if you can't say something nice, don't say anything. Different strokes for different folks, I guess....[​IMG]
    lol...for once we are in complete agreement.

12. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I made for a client a vest from a Hermes scarf. The scarf motif was Mozart and he wore the vest under a DJ to a symphony event. The placement of figures from the scarf and where they appeared on the vest came out spectacular. The vest was only worn twice, as far as I know, but he loved the vest and holds onto it.
    I know some tailors have used the scarves as jacket linings as well.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I love the Hermes on the far right and the 3rd Versace (in the 2nd pic). Both very wearable I think, but then, I like eccentric ties! [​IMG]

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I made for a client a vest from a Hermes scarf. The scarf motif was Mozart and he wore the vest under a DJ to a symphony event. The placement of figures from the scarf and where they appeared on the vest came out spectacular. The vest was only worn twice, as far as I know, but he loved the vest and holds onto it.
    I know some tailors have used the scarves as jacket linings as well.

That sounds inspired. Dont suppose you have piccies?

I've used the scarves as jacket linings for dinner jackets and sports coats. A suit would be pushing it for me personally. They tend to work best on softer fabrics bc the silk works with the fabric.

The Hermes scarf ties are amazing and I think are quite classic. Most would disagree because they have fallen out of recognition and the masses at work will think them odd, when in fact they are elegant. Oh well, best to consider them Hip for an evening out with a suit or jacket.

The Versace ties are great for very hip events and the more modern darker (or hotter) colored shirts.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

The Hermes scarf ties are amazing and I think are quite classic. Most would disagree because they have fallen out of recognition and the masses at work will think them odd, when in fact they are elegant. Oh well, best to consider them Hip for an evening out with a suit or jacket.

Or perhaps some of us just find them to be visually offensive.